News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need some carb advice......

Started by hard-charger, April 10, 2006, 03:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

Hi everyone! 
i got a 69 dodge charger w/
          440 .30 over zero deck
          10.1 or ??? mabey higher?
          ported and polised 906 heads (soon to be edelbrock rpm, or victor, but thats another question all together)
          comp cams ex. energy solid 282/290.
          tq 727 w/ manuel valve body
          1/78 hooker super comps w/ 3 in exhuast.
          super street fighter tc.
          8 3/4 detroit locker w/ 4.10 gears.

iv run a torquer II intake with a 750 dp. its pretty mean. i like it!  :yesnod:  but i have a weiand tunnel ram w/ 2 600 eddys, on there now and damn!!!! its a monster!  but...those carbs are in need of rebuilding. they are pretty ugly.
my question is, should i just buy new carbs altogther?  i looked at the holley 4160 660cfm tunnel ram carbs. they look interesting. i dont have any idea how those carbs will perform, or if they are tuning headaches. if anyone has any experiece with any carbs for tunnel rams im open to suggestions. or has any good advice?  and i love that tunnel ram, i dont wanna change it. thanks all.

67_Dodge_Charger

I would buy a kit for the edelbrock 600s.  You will be able to get sell them if they are rebuilt and then you could put the money into a new set of carbs.  What size are the intake and exhaust valves?  You might be just throwing too much gas out the exhaust. Do you have a dyno sheet on your setup?

I will run this setup on my dyno cd and pm you the results.

-Robert

hard-charger

no, I dont have a dyno sheet.  the current heads have a 2.14 intake and 1.81 ex. but im saving some money for some rpm heads. wnted to keep the tunnel ram, but dont know waht carbs would perform good at the track, and see some street. but no long trips. :shruggy:

Chryco Psycho

something designed for a tunnel ram will work better , thee 660s are an option of course now you may not be using the secondaries on the eddys as the rear air door is usually to heavily counter weighted & the engine may not need a whole lot more air anyway

SeattleCharger

Quote from: hard-charger on April 10, 2006, 03:28:32 AM
Hi everyone! 
          440 .30 over zero deck
          ported and polised 906 heads (soon to be edelbrock rpm, or victor, but thats another question all together)
          super street fighter tc.

iv run a torquer II intake with a 750 dp. its pretty mean. i like it!  :yesnod:  but i have a weiand tunnel ram w/ 2 600 eddys, on there now and damn!!!! its a monster!  but...those carbs are in need of rebuilding. they are pretty ugly.
my question is, should i just buy new carbs altogther?  i looked at the holley 4160 660cfm tunnel ram carbs. they look interesting. i dont have any idea how those carbs will perform, or if they are tuning headaches. if anyone has any experiece with any carbs for tunnel rams im open to suggestions. or has any good advice?  and i love that tunnel ram, i dont wanna change it. thanks all.

Hi, my engine build is going to be similar, had a question about carb and intake also.   Am looking to buy a holley street avenger 870, was wondering about intake,  was looking at an edelbrock performer rpm intake or a torker intake, or a weiand highrise intake manifold.   For street use mostly, no long drives, stop and go driving  mostly.       Is the rpm intake made for higher rpm reving?  and the torker one made for better low end response, (hence the names)?   
  Also, can I get away with hp exhaust manifolds and 2 1/2 dual exhaust with this?   until I can upgrade to headers and bigger exhaust?  I know I am limiting exhaust, but will it run ok with such a big carb/intake set up?  thanks, Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

SeattleCharger

Has anyone run this much carb (870)  and highrise intake with hp exhaust manifolds?   

SeattleCharger

Ok, a couple of those manifolds are for too high of rpm range, I have figured,  so . . .

does anyone know if an edlebrock performer rpm (highrise intake) and a holley avenger 870 will fit under the hood on a '68 Charger?   
thanks,
Nate

firefighter3931

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on October 24, 2006, 03:03:39 PM
  Ok, a couple of those manifolds are for too high of rpm range, I have figured,  so . . .

does anyone know if an edlebrock performer rpm (highrise intake) and a holley avenger 870 will fit under the hood on a '68 Charger?   
thanks,
Nate

Yep, but you will need to use a 1.25in drop base air cleaner assembly....forget about using a factory aircleaner.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

Quote from: hard-charger on April 10, 2006, 03:28:32 AM
Hi everyone! 
          440 .30 over zero deck
          super street fighter tc.

Gotta love those T/Rs :icon_smile_tongue:, i ran a weiand on my 451 with 2 holley 600 1850s, i would just rebuild the eddy 600s for now, once you go too the RPM heads, i would go with more cam & bump the comp up to around 10.8 & hit the swap meets & find some 750 eddys to try.

What are the cam specs on that comp solid?

SeattleCharger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2006, 10:04:42 PM
Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on October 24, 2006, 03:03:39 PM

thanks,
Nate

Yep, but you will need to use a 1.25in drop base air cleaner assembly....forget about using a factory aircleaner.

Ron

Thank you.    I have one of those, it fits around my thermoquad 850 no problem, but that holley 870 has the big sides sticking out (float bowls on sides I guess), wonder if it will fit around that.  I will call holley or something and ask,

Can I run that set up with hp exhaust manifolds you think?  thanks, Nate

firefighter3931

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on October 25, 2006, 09:56:32 AM
     Can I run that set up with hp exhaust manifolds you think?  thanks, Nate

Sure...can't see why not. The most critical item when building a restricted exhaust engine is the camshaft. You want to select a profile that has short overlap and wide lobe centers to help the engine exhale and decrease cylinder dilution. Cams with 112* lsa or wider work well with HP manifolds.
;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hard-charger

before i got my supercomps, i was running stock manifolds with duel glasspacks, with the same engine set up. i only drove it like that a few times.  it sounded crazy when i floored it.  :METAL:  sounded kinda like the points were bad. but i didnt have points!  :errr:  kinda like a lowrider, and when i let up it was all complete with a nice... boom!!!!!! and some cool lookin flames.

then i changed to headers, and it didnt sound all tubulent. kinda miss the boom and flame deal. lol 
but stock manifolds worked for regular ol cruzin.