News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil test data & my experience with Oil Extreme additive

Started by Trulyvintage, February 17, 2016, 08:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FanboySansCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 17, 2016, 11:52:22 PM

5 mph increase on level grade towing 10K at 2100 rpm

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 18, 2016, 11:03:00 PM

" A fourth way to improve acceleration is by increasing the torque output of the engine. Increasing the horsepower of the engine without increasing the speed at which it runs requires increasing the torque output. Increasing engine torque will always improve the acceleration of the vehicle because that increased torque flows through the driveline to where it increases the torque to the wheels. "

My personal firsthand experience with my truck demonstrates to me a discernible horsepower increase which increases vehicle speed.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that you're confusing speed with acceleration.  Like I said earlier, you may experience a decrease in parasitic power loss due to the additive making everything "slicker," which would allow you greater acceleration to a given speed.  But you will not increase your speed at a given RPM in a given gear without a change in gearing somewhere on your drivetrain.

This is not opinion, this is fact, and a very very very basic one.

Moreover, referencing your other claims: modern oil is awesome.  It's very, very hard to free up more power than modern oil allows, as it already is pretty much the pinnacle of lubricity engineering.  Yes, there are additives that can help clean out the sludge of older oils that have built up over time, but they take several changes and will never make your engine like new...they just return some of the power that was robbed by inferior oil previously.  That said, like others have commented: the real value of oil additives is in their contribution to the life of the engine, not power savings.  (It's not power adding--that would be from forced induction or other modifications to increase the actual output of the motor). 

You don't have to go to a dyno to provide proof of your claims.  Do three 0-60 runs without your additive and three 0-60 runs with your additive.  I guarantee you all results will fall under the standard deviation of the original run, but this would be a way to either prove everyone wrong or snap yourself out of it.

birdsandbees

Please stop changing the subject title in your posts... :brickwall:

gear for gear and rpm, it's speed 101  :pity:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

crj1968

Anyone remember Slick 50? (is it still out there?) There was a video of an engine treated with it and then drained and oil pan removed. Fired up and ran great for a long time...forever idling away.

Then, in a moment of clarity, it was noticed that it was a Chrysler slant six and everyone was no longer impressed.  ;D

ws23rt

The most important thing for a scammer that is making the latest and greatest--additive / snake oil / cream / etc. Is to make sure it does no harm.

If this stuff does not interfere with the oil it is added to---compromise it's original performance--- I see no real problem with it other than the cost to the buyer.   :shruggy:

As I said earlier --If no harm is done and the buyer "feels" a difference then it was money well spent ::)

STP and Slick50 are good examples from the past that did little or no harm (that I'm aware of?).

The placebo affect is a real affect and can be (and has been) measured/identified to be so.

Your car however is not subject to the placebo affect. It will not feel better from a scam. It lives in the world of science and physics.

I agree with Fanboy---The cutting edge of lubrication tec. is a fine edge. To expect to stumble upon something that was missed in the labs is a reach these days. Also what used to be a good oil for all engines is way in the past. And because of this alone I would not risk mixing my own brew.  Sorta like mixing drugs with out your doctor knowing about it. Their could be an unexpected reaction down the line.

Trulyvintage

Quote from: FanboySansCharger on February 18, 2016, 11:10:08 PM
Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 17, 2016, 11:52:22 PM

5 mph increase on level grade towing 10K at 2100 rpm

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 18, 2016, 11:03:00 PM

" A fourth way to improve acceleration is by increasing the torque output of the engine. Increasing the horsepower of the engine without increasing the speed at which it runs requires increasing the torque output. Increasing engine torque will always improve the acceleration of the vehicle because that increased torque flows through the driveline to where it increases the torque to the wheels. "

My personal firsthand experience with my truck demonstrates to me a discernible horsepower increase which increases vehicle speed.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that you're confusing speed with acceleration.  Like I said earlier, you may experience a decrease in parasitic power loss due to the additive making everything "slicker," which would allow you greater acceleration to a given speed.  But you will not increase your speed at a given RPM in a given gear without a change in gearing somewhere on your drivetrain.

This is not opinion, this is fact, and a very very very basic one.

Moreover, referencing your other claims: modern oil is awesome.  It's very, very hard to free up more power than modern oil allows, as it already is pretty much the pinnacle of lubricity engineering.  Yes, there are additives that can help clean out the sludge of older oils that have built up over time, but they take several changes and will never make your engine like new...they just return some of the power that was robbed by inferior oil previously.  That said, like others have commented: the real value of oil additives is in their contribution to the life of the engine, not power savings.  (It's not power adding--that would be from forced induction or other modifications to increase the actual output of the motor). 

You don't have to go to a dyno to provide proof of your claims.  Do three 0-60 runs without your additive and three 0-60 runs with your additive.  I guarantee you all results will fall under the standard deviation of the original run, but this would be a way to either prove everyone wrong or snap yourself out of it.

I horsepower/torque is increased - measured speed is increased at the wheels ...

My intent is to extend useful engine life.

If horsepower/torque is increased - that is a secondary benefit.

No placebo effect - actual results experienced by me.

I just passed the 2000 mile mark - consistent 1 mpg mileage increase.

Again - you are not driving my truck so you are expressing an opinion - nothing more.

Jim

myk

Whatever happened to DuraLube?  I miss their infomercials...

FanboySansCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 19, 2016, 08:25:41 AM
I horsepower/torque is increased - measured speed is increased at the wheels ...

One more time: If horsepower/torque is increased, then acceleration will be increased. Acceleration is change in speed, just like speed is a measurement of your change in position. But speed will not increase at a given RPM.  It simply will not--to say otherwise is to defy basic engineering.  If a business was making this claim, they would be sued in court, and they would lose.  I highly suggest you re-read this and note the difference between speed and acceleration.

My intent is to extend useful engine life.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you even better than an oil specifically designed and documented as such by a billion dollar corporation whose entire business model depends on claims backed up by laboratory testing 99.999% of the time.

If horsepower/torque is increased - that is a secondary benefit.

No argument here.  Just a plead for common sense.

No placebo effect - actual results experienced by me.

The butt dyno is the definition of the placebo effect.  If your butt was accurate, we would not need $100k dynomometers for tuning purposes.

I just passed the 2000 mile mark - consistent 1 mpg mileage increase.

I hope that continues for you.  But for all scientific purposes, 1 MPG is completely negligible.

Again - you are not driving my truck so you are expressing an opinion - nothing more.

I don't have to drive your truck to tell you its color, its tow rating, or a million other facts.  Everything I've posted is fact with the invitation for you to provide evidence otherwise.  On the contrary, all you've provided is opinions ("Hey, it feels faster!") and statements that, in a vacuum, cannot be true ("Hey, it's 5 mph faster at 2100 RPM with the same gears!  I've figured out how to defy a basic law of physics, everyone! I can bend space and time, holy crap!"). 

If you actually read any of this, please take one fact: SPEED IS NOT EQUAL TO ACCELERATION!   THERE'S A BIG DANG DIFFERENCE!

*edit*
I'm starting to think this is troll bait, and I took it hook, line, and sinker.  Sorry for feeding the troll, folks.

funknut

Quote from: FanboySansCharger on February 19, 2016, 09:45:36 AM

I hope that continues for you.  But for all scientific purposes, 1 MPG is completely negligible.

I don't want to debate the other points in the article, but the reference frame matters.  A 1 MPG increase when you're getting 1 MPG (so a net MPG of 2; 100% increase) is a significant gain.  A 1 MPG gain when you're getting 40 MPG (2.5% gain) is likely just margin of error.

If he's truly getting a 1 MPG increase over his original 10 MPG (assuming no rounding errors and no other differences in terrain, driving habits, etc.), then that's not nothing. 

I highly doubt any oil additive would give anywhere near a 10% boost to MPG, but if it did, that would be something!   :2thumbs:

polywideblock

I've used this one for years , also use their "engine flush plus"      http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/what-is-mos2/

can't say if it makes it better but can say its no worse  ;)

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Lennard

I just read this in forum member Dino's signature:  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  ;)

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on February 19, 2016, 06:12:06 PM
I've used this one for years , also use their "engine flush plus"      http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/what-is-mos2/

can't say if it makes it better but can say its no worse  ;)

:2thumbs: If "it's no worse" then smooth sailing.---When we pet our dog we feel better (but they do tend to lick us back :icon_smile_wink:)

Along a similar line is waxing our cars. As I recall from somewhere :shruggy:---the smoother surface with wax gives less air resistance. :scratchchin:---more mpg?--win---shiny ---win--exercise--win. :cheers:

John_Kunkel

How's your Johnny Holmes Peter Pump working out? Did you get the results they claim?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68X426

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 20, 2016, 05:26:11 PM

How's your Johnny Holmes Peter Pump working out? Did you get the results they claim?

John you are damn funny.  :rofl:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Yes, Slick 50 is still out there.  There's a website, so it must still be great stuff.  ::)

"Confirmation bias: the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities."

aka:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ws23rt

How many remember the ads for STP----You can't hold a screw driver with STP cause it's so slick. :lol:--Now that's all I need to know to use it. ::)
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1978/02/10/page/76/article/stp-to-pay-record-fine-for-false-ads

My recall from those days was that STP just changed the viscosity of the oil at a high price---compared to buying the viscosity of choice. A tired loose engine is helped by higher viscosity oil. :shruggy:

The good from the past comes from remembering it and learning from it. ---We have a huge number of pigeons to sell to these days.---Good times for the scammers. :smilielol:

The up side is we have "Google" today.  The down side is when someone has been scammed it's usually a done deal.--proof of a scam is not enough to make some take a good look at themselves.--- As they say their is an ass for every seat and new seats are being made every day. :nana:

ws23rt

I can't help but see something in this topic that is important in the bigger picture.

It's about human nature and how we accept what we hear as being real.-- I feel it myself all the time.  However I am old and have heard these things many times. The young have heard them less.

Some things never will change. :slap:

1974dodgecharger

I enjoy my amsoil......

When I switched and went on the Dyno I had an increase of 80 plus hp to wheel......

That's actual proof videos and all.....I have no shame......300hp vs 383hp to the wheel.....

c00nhunterjoe

As a trained and certified 7.3 diesel technician with years of experience on the heui systems, i will say this- if you added soemthing to the oil and saw/felt/ heard/ gained anything, then your injectors are scoured and require rebuild/replacement. Period.