News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil test data & my experience with Oil Extreme additive

Started by Trulyvintage, February 17, 2016, 08:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trulyvintage

I am on the road just about every day.

I drive an F350 CC Dually w/ a 7.3 PSD & a manual ZF five speed tranny - usually I am towing 10,000 pounds.

I have tried oil additives over the years along with several brands and oil weight combinations.

Recently I ran across independent oil testing data performed & published by an individual:

@ https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Although lengthy & arduous it was fascinating to read.

The oil additive that consistently seemed to have proven measured results was Oil Extreme:

@ http://www.oilextreme.com/oil1.html

I called & talked with the owner Dan - then ordered a 16 ounce bottle.

For my truck I chose this oil from the test data link above:

113. 5W40 MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and ACEA E7 = 74,312 psi
zinc = 1211 ppm
phos = 1168 ppm
moly = 2 ppm

I have been running Mobil 1 synthetic oil filters since they came out a couple years ago.

My engine takes 15 quarts so I added the recommended 15 ounces.

Then I drove a few hundred miles ....

I noticed an immediate gain in horsepower - fuel economy - performance.

I will be adding Oil Extreme to my ZF manual transmission & my 4:10 rear differential.

Jim

Lennard

And how much does the owner pays you to advertise here?  ;D

Trulyvintage

Quote from: Lennard on February 17, 2016, 08:32:56 AM
And how much does the owner pays you to advertise here?  ;D

Nothing ...

This is an American small business that sells a product that seems to actually perform as advertised ...  :patriot:

My post is merely informative ....  :Twocents:

Jim

lukedukem

i too run Mobile 1 filters on my cummins. i would run oil samples every oil change too, from Blackstone labs. but i never used any additive in the engine oil. just the fuel tank. although I'm selling my truck now, i will pass this along to my brother who drives a power-stroke, thanks for the info. good read

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

cdr

i use it in my 512, it is supposed to help flat tappet cams live,, time will tell.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger_Fan

Dang, that stuff is not cheap!
Even the damn t-shirt is not cheap. :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Aero426

Purchase the correct oil for your application.  You don't need to play chemist.  Those particular Mobil 1 specs should be plenty good for a diesel by itself.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 17, 2016, 08:05:51 AM
Then I drove a few hundred miles ....

I noticed an immediate gain in horsepower - fuel economy - performance.

Uh-huh. Actual numbers would be more convincing, especially in the horsepower/performance gain.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Trulyvintage

Quote from: Devil on February 17, 2016, 05:13:35 PM
Interesting.... he's posting the exact same thing on multiple forums.  

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2013797/oil-test-data-my-expereience-with-oil-extreme-additive.html#Post2013797

Ryan

I have been on Moparts since 2008 ...

I have been a Sponsor since 2011 ...

I ran across a product that worked as advertised - I belong to many forums - I am sharing what I have learned ...

No ulterior motives - no infomercial - no compensation coming my way by posting ....

Sometimes things are as they appear to be .... :scratchchin:

Jim

ws23rt

I drive a company truck (chev pu v6) and put many miles on it. The oil gets changed every 3k miles as a routine.
I laugh at myself every time I drive it from an oil change---It feels so smooth and peppy :lol:

I laugh because I know that if the oil was changed in secret I would not feel a thing. :nana:

Even back in the day I used "STP" for smoking cars and was convinced I could also feel the difference in the seat the pants.

The additives used to make the oil all it can be show their worth in the life of the engine.  What we feel driving that engine is called the "placebo affect" :icon_smile_wink:

That reminds me of -----   A woman came into a health food/drug store and asked for some placebo supplements. She said that she sees it as an ingredient in some things and always liked what it did for her.   If something works for us life is better because of it and their are plenty of those that want to help us out with that. :nana: :cheers:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Trulyvintage

Quote from: ws23rt on February 17, 2016, 08:10:55 PM
I drive a company truck (chev pu v6) and put many miles on it. The oil gets changed every 3k miles as a routine.
I laugh at myself every time I drive it from an oil change---It feels so smooth and peppy :lol:

I laugh because I know that if the oil was changed in secret I would not feel a thing. :nana:

Even back in the day I used "STP" for smoking cars and was convinced I could also feel the difference in the seat the pants.

The additives used to make the oil all it can be show their worth in the life of the engine.  What we feel driving that engine is called the "placebo affect" :icon_smile_wink:

That reminds me of -----   A woman came into a health food/drug store and asked for some placebo supplements. She said that she sees it as an ingredient in some things and always liked what it did for her.   If something works for us life is better because of it and their are plenty of those that want to help us out with that. :nana: :cheers:

Well I own the company truck ...

I drive it hundreds of miles just about every day ...

I also do most of the maintenance & repair.

A truck lasts me 2 to 3 years on average.

It is in my best interest to try & extend the useful life of the engine - tranny - differential.

" Placebo Effect " does not exist in the real world I drive in every day ...  :Twocents:

Jim

ws23rt

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 17, 2016, 08:59:57 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on February 17, 2016, 08:10:55 PM

Well I own the company truck ...

I drive it hundreds of miles just about every day ...

I also do most of the maintenance & repair.

A truck lasts me 2 to 3 years on average.

It is in my best interest to try & extend the useful life of the engine - tranny - differential.

" Placebo Effect " does not exist in the real world I drive in every day ...  :Twocents:

Jim

Hey Jim
My response to your post was -only- about your mention about "immediate gain in horsepower-fuel economy-performance" that you said you "noticed"

BTW the placebo affect is real and we all feel it all the time. It is human nature to expect to be rewarded for an effort or decision we make.
To deny being affected by the "placebo affect" is a primary identification of the affect. :cheers:

A383Wing

so is the "Butt-O-Meter" the recognized standard for snake oil products now?

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on February 17, 2016, 10:00:01 PM
so is the "Butt-O-Meter" the recognized standard for snake oil products now?

:lol: My point is that if an affect is felt --it is not necessarily a bad thing.---Life moves on and the buyer as well as the seller are happy. :D

We have been living for thousands of years with misunderstandings about reality. If we die with a smile that is a good thing. :2thumbs:

Trulyvintage

Since Oil Extreme added:

1 mpg increase (10% since I was getting 10 mpg)

5 mph increase on level grade towing 10K at 2100 rpm

No placebo effect - actual results

Jim

FanboySansCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 17, 2016, 11:52:22 PM
Since Oil Extreme added:

Jim

Excuse me, folks....8 year lurker here, but this post actually motivated me to join.  I couldn't sit on my hands.

I don't care if it's the difference between 3 and 4 mpg or 99 and 100 mpg; 1 mpg is negligible.  You can get a bigger difference than that from variable throttle positioning and the direction the wind happens to be blowing.  This isn't even remotely evidence.

5 mph gain at the same rpm in the same gear?  Unless you swapped tires, transmissions, or gears in your differential... or replaced a slipping clutch...then this is bogus as heck.  You're talking about a mechanical system with 100% lockup from end to end.  Increased lubricity did not magically make your gearing taller.  You may have gotten to speed faster due to less parasitic loss, but you're not defeating the laws of space and time here.

You're right, no placebo effect at all; just denial.  :slap:

Oh, and hi folks.  Nice to finally join the forum.  :cheers:

ws23rt

^^^^ :cheers:  :2thumbs:

Welcome to the site Fanboy-- and thanks for your clear reality/fact check.

A383Wing

Since Oil Extreme added:

Jim

I don't see any of this happening as being true and factual results

John_Kunkel

Since Oil Extreme added:

Jim

YouTube is full of similar hillbilly "tests". When you get the same results under approved laboratory conditions come back and post the certified results.

Trulyvintage

Quote from: FanboySansCharger on February 18, 2016, 10:29:07 AM
Since Oil Extreme added:

Jim

Excuse me, folks....8 year lurker here, but this post actually motivated me to join.  I couldn't sit on my hands.

I don't care if it's the difference between 3 and 4 mpg or 99 and 100 mpg; 1 mpg is negligible.  You can get a bigger difference than that from variable throttle positioning and the direction the wind happens to be blowing.  This isn't even remotely evidence.

5 mph gain at the same rpm in the same gear?  Unless you swapped tires, transmissions, or gears in your differential... or replaced a slipping clutch...then this is bogus as heck.  You're talking about a mechanical system with 100% lockup from end to end.  Increased lubricity did not magically make your gearing taller.  You may have gotten to speed faster due to less parasitic loss, but you're not defeating the laws of space and time here.

You're right, no placebo effect at all; just denial.  :slap:

Oh, and hi folks.  Nice to finally join the forum.  :cheers:

Nice first post ...

Since you do not drive my truck ....

Sorry but you do not know WTH you are talking about ....  ::)

Jim

Trulyvintage

All companies started out small ...

Some grew - some remain small.

Negativity - Cynycism - Sarcasm are free ...

Education has to be acquired.

Jim

FanboySansCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 18, 2016, 06:34:31 PM

Nice first post ...

Sorry but you do not know WTH you are talking about ....  ::)

Jim

I'm sorry bud, but any freshman mechanical engineer could tell you your claims don't add up.  Especially the speed increase at a steady RPM--if you're legitimately seeing that, then there's a failure in a system somewhere, whether it's your speedo or in the electronics or somewhere else.  There was no gearing change, so this isn't physically possible.

Trulyvintage

Quote from: FanboySansCharger on February 18, 2016, 10:36:08 PM
Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 18, 2016, 06:34:31 PM

Nice first post ...

Sorry but you do not know WTH you are talking about ....  ::)

Jim

I'm sorry bud, but any freshman mechanical engineer could tell you your claims don't add up.  Especially the speed increase at a steady RPM--if you're legitimately seeing that, then there's a failure in a system somewhere, whether it's your speedo or in the electronics or somewhere else.  There was no gearing change, so this isn't physically possible.

" A fourth way to improve acceleration is by increasing the torque output of the engine. Increasing the horsepower of the engine without increasing the speed at which it runs requires increasing the torque output. Increasing engine torque will always improve the acceleration of the vehicle because that increased torque flows through the driveline to where it increases the torque to the wheels. "

From @ http://www.rubydist.com/Family/Power.html

My personal firsthand experience with my truck demonstrates to me a discernible horsepower increase which increases vehicle speed.

Your opinion is just that & nothing more ....  ::)

Jim

FanboySansCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 18, 2016, 11:03:00 PM

" A fourth way to improve acceleration is by increasing the torque output of the engine. Increasing the horsepower of the engine without increasing the speed at which it runs requires increasing the torque output. Increasing engine torque will always improve the acceleration of the vehicle because that increased torque flows through the driveline to where it increases the torque to the wheels. "

My personal firsthand experience with my truck demonstrates to me a discernible horsepower increase which increases vehicle speed.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that you're confusing speed with acceleration.  Like I said earlier, you may experience a decrease in parasitic power loss due to the additive making everything "slicker," which would allow you greater acceleration to a given speed.  But you will not increase your speed at a given RPM in a given gear without a change in gearing somewhere on your drivetrain.

This is not opinion, this is fact, and a very very very basic one.

Moreover, referencing your other claims: modern oil is awesome.  It's very, very hard to free up more power than modern oil allows, as it already is pretty much the pinnacle of lubricity engineering.  Yes, there are additives that can help clean out the sludge of older oils that have built up over time, but they take several changes and will never make your engine like new...they just return some of the power that was robbed by inferior oil previously.  That said, like others have commented: the real value of oil additives is in their contribution to the life of the engine, not power savings.  (It's not power adding--that would be from forced induction or other modifications to increase the actual output of the motor). 

You don't have to go to a dyno to provide proof of your claims.  Do three 0-60 runs without your additive and three 0-60 runs with your additive.  I guarantee you all results will fall under the standard deviation of the original run, but this would be a way to either prove everyone wrong or snap yourself out of it.

birdsandbees

Please stop changing the subject title in your posts... :brickwall:

gear for gear and rpm, it's speed 101  :pity:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

crj1968

Anyone remember Slick 50? (is it still out there?) There was a video of an engine treated with it and then drained and oil pan removed. Fired up and ran great for a long time...forever idling away.

Then, in a moment of clarity, it was noticed that it was a Chrysler slant six and everyone was no longer impressed.  ;D

ws23rt

The most important thing for a scammer that is making the latest and greatest--additive / snake oil / cream / etc. Is to make sure it does no harm.

If this stuff does not interfere with the oil it is added to---compromise it's original performance--- I see no real problem with it other than the cost to the buyer.   :shruggy:

As I said earlier --If no harm is done and the buyer "feels" a difference then it was money well spent ::)

STP and Slick50 are good examples from the past that did little or no harm (that I'm aware of?).

The placebo affect is a real affect and can be (and has been) measured/identified to be so.

Your car however is not subject to the placebo affect. It will not feel better from a scam. It lives in the world of science and physics.

I agree with Fanboy---The cutting edge of lubrication tec. is a fine edge. To expect to stumble upon something that was missed in the labs is a reach these days. Also what used to be a good oil for all engines is way in the past. And because of this alone I would not risk mixing my own brew.  Sorta like mixing drugs with out your doctor knowing about it. Their could be an unexpected reaction down the line.

Trulyvintage

Quote from: FanboySansCharger on February 18, 2016, 11:10:08 PM

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 18, 2016, 11:03:00 PM

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that you're confusing speed with acceleration.  Like I said earlier, you may experience a decrease in parasitic power loss due to the additive making everything "slicker," which would allow you greater acceleration to a given speed.  But you will not increase your speed at a given RPM in a given gear without a change in gearing somewhere on your drivetrain.

This is not opinion, this is fact, and a very very very basic one.

Moreover, referencing your other claims: modern oil is awesome.  It's very, very hard to free up more power than modern oil allows, as it already is pretty much the pinnacle of lubricity engineering.  Yes, there are additives that can help clean out the sludge of older oils that have built up over time, but they take several changes and will never make your engine like new...they just return some of the power that was robbed by inferior oil previously.  That said, like others have commented: the real value of oil additives is in their contribution to the life of the engine, not power savings.  (It's not power adding--that would be from forced induction or other modifications to increase the actual output of the motor). 

You don't have to go to a dyno to provide proof of your claims.  Do three 0-60 runs without your additive and three 0-60 runs with your additive.  I guarantee you all results will fall under the standard deviation of the original run, but this would be a way to either prove everyone wrong or snap yourself out of it.

I horsepower/torque is increased - measured speed is increased at the wheels ...

My intent is to extend useful engine life.

If horsepower/torque is increased - that is a secondary benefit.

No placebo effect - actual results experienced by me.

I just passed the 2000 mile mark - consistent 1 mpg mileage increase.

Again - you are not driving my truck so you are expressing an opinion - nothing more.

Jim

myk

Whatever happened to DuraLube?  I miss their infomercials...

FanboySansCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on February 19, 2016, 08:25:41 AM
I horsepower/torque is increased - measured speed is increased at the wheels ...

One more time: If horsepower/torque is increased, then acceleration will be increased. Acceleration is change in speed, just like speed is a measurement of your change in position. But speed will not increase at a given RPM.  It simply will not--to say otherwise is to defy basic engineering.  If a business was making this claim, they would be sued in court, and they would lose.  I highly suggest you re-read this and note the difference between speed and acceleration.

My intent is to extend useful engine life.

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you even better than an oil specifically designed and documented as such by a billion dollar corporation whose entire business model depends on claims backed up by laboratory testing 99.999% of the time.

If horsepower/torque is increased - that is a secondary benefit.

No argument here.  Just a plead for common sense.

No placebo effect - actual results experienced by me.

The butt dyno is the definition of the placebo effect.  If your butt was accurate, we would not need $100k dynomometers for tuning purposes.

I just passed the 2000 mile mark - consistent 1 mpg mileage increase.

I hope that continues for you.  But for all scientific purposes, 1 MPG is completely negligible.

Again - you are not driving my truck so you are expressing an opinion - nothing more.

I don't have to drive your truck to tell you its color, its tow rating, or a million other facts.  Everything I've posted is fact with the invitation for you to provide evidence otherwise.  On the contrary, all you've provided is opinions ("Hey, it feels faster!") and statements that, in a vacuum, cannot be true ("Hey, it's 5 mph faster at 2100 RPM with the same gears!  I've figured out how to defy a basic law of physics, everyone! I can bend space and time, holy crap!"). 

If you actually read any of this, please take one fact: SPEED IS NOT EQUAL TO ACCELERATION!   THERE'S A BIG DANG DIFFERENCE!

*edit*
I'm starting to think this is troll bait, and I took it hook, line, and sinker.  Sorry for feeding the troll, folks.

funknut

Quote from: FanboySansCharger on February 19, 2016, 09:45:36 AM

I hope that continues for you.  But for all scientific purposes, 1 MPG is completely negligible.

I don't want to debate the other points in the article, but the reference frame matters.  A 1 MPG increase when you're getting 1 MPG (so a net MPG of 2; 100% increase) is a significant gain.  A 1 MPG gain when you're getting 40 MPG (2.5% gain) is likely just margin of error.

If he's truly getting a 1 MPG increase over his original 10 MPG (assuming no rounding errors and no other differences in terrain, driving habits, etc.), then that's not nothing. 

I highly doubt any oil additive would give anywhere near a 10% boost to MPG, but if it did, that would be something!   :2thumbs:

polywideblock

I've used this one for years , also use their "engine flush plus"      http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/what-is-mos2/

can't say if it makes it better but can say its no worse  ;)

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Lennard

I just read this in forum member Dino's signature:  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  ;)

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on February 19, 2016, 06:12:06 PM
I've used this one for years , also use their "engine flush plus"      http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/what-is-mos2/

can't say if it makes it better but can say its no worse  ;)

:2thumbs: If "it's no worse" then smooth sailing.---When we pet our dog we feel better (but they do tend to lick us back :icon_smile_wink:)

Along a similar line is waxing our cars. As I recall from somewhere :shruggy:---the smoother surface with wax gives less air resistance. :scratchchin:---more mpg?--win---shiny ---win--exercise--win. :cheers:

John_Kunkel

How's your Johnny Holmes Peter Pump working out? Did you get the results they claim?

68X426

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 20, 2016, 05:26:11 PM

How's your Johnny Holmes Peter Pump working out? Did you get the results they claim?

John you are damn funny.  :rofl:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Yes, Slick 50 is still out there.  There's a website, so it must still be great stuff.  ::)

"Confirmation bias: the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities."

aka:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ws23rt

How many remember the ads for STP----You can't hold a screw driver with STP cause it's so slick. :lol:--Now that's all I need to know to use it. ::)
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1978/02/10/page/76/article/stp-to-pay-record-fine-for-false-ads

My recall from those days was that STP just changed the viscosity of the oil at a high price---compared to buying the viscosity of choice. A tired loose engine is helped by higher viscosity oil. :shruggy:

The good from the past comes from remembering it and learning from it. ---We have a huge number of pigeons to sell to these days.---Good times for the scammers. :smilielol:

The up side is we have "Google" today.  The down side is when someone has been scammed it's usually a done deal.--proof of a scam is not enough to make some take a good look at themselves.--- As they say their is an ass for every seat and new seats are being made every day. :nana:

ws23rt

I can't help but see something in this topic that is important in the bigger picture.

It's about human nature and how we accept what we hear as being real.-- I feel it myself all the time.  However I am old and have heard these things many times. The young have heard them less.

Some things never will change. :slap:

1974dodgecharger

I enjoy my amsoil......

When I switched and went on the Dyno I had an increase of 80 plus hp to wheel......

That's actual proof videos and all.....I have no shame......300hp vs 383hp to the wheel.....

c00nhunterjoe

As a trained and certified 7.3 diesel technician with years of experience on the heui systems, i will say this- if you added soemthing to the oil and saw/felt/ heard/ gained anything, then your injectors are scoured and require rebuild/replacement. Period.