News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD Rocker panels

Started by mpd659, February 16, 2016, 06:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpd659

Has anyone installed an AMD rocker panel on a 68-70 Charger? Have they fit ok or have you had fitment issues? My replacement on my 68 fits like s**t.

Russ

tsmithae

I installed one on a '70 and fitment was actually really good.  Had no issues on my end.  :Twocents:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

birdsandbees

Had to order a set (inner /outer) for the passenger side on my 'Bee. They'd better fit good!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Lennard

For the money that AMD stuff costs, it should fit perfect!  Unfortunately it doesn't.

mopar4don

Mine are not welded in yet, but from what I can tell they fit perfectly!

NickJ

I replaced a section of my right side rocker on my 69. After a crap experience with a Goodmark panel I used AMD the 2nd time around and it fit like a glove. I also replaced my Dutchman with an AMD piece with good results. They may not be perfect but in my opinion the best repops out there..

Nick

Mike DC

QuoteFor the money that AMD stuff costs, it should fit perfect!  Unfortunately it doesn't.

These cars are worth $30k in great shape.  Spending $5k at AMD buys a large portion of the whole thing.  I don't think that's such a bad deal in the big picture. 

green69rt

Quote from: mpd659 on February 16, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
Has anyone installed an AMD rocker panel on a 68-70 Charger? Have they fit ok or have you had fitment issues? My replacement on my 68 fits like s**t.

Russ

Installed both sides on my 69.  Fit fairly well.  I left the hinge post and door lock post in place as alignment guides.  That said, these cars were not made to a very high standard as today's cars plus being almost 50 years old.  Collisions, poor repairs, and loose standards when they are made mean your parts may or may not fit as well as others.  All you can do is try and "adjust" as necessary.

If you're replacing the rockers then you'll probably need to replace the front rocker caps.  If so make sure you mount the fenders up after the rockers and caps are in place because the fenders wrap around the caps and it might not clear without some work.

Lennard

I bought about $9k worth of sheet metal for my '69, it adds up really fast. Have you ever tried to make the rear valance corners fit on a second generation charger?  But I'm glad they are making the parts, don't get me wrong.  ;)

1970Moparmann

Had one of the first sets that came off production - fit great.   Can't speak to how they are now.   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

GOTWING

We replaced just about every piece of metal on my buddy Brian's 69 Roadrunner and everything fit beautifully ! Very happy with the results.  :2thumbs: I'm not happy that I'm still waiting on a rear valance pan for my 73 Charger that's been on back order for almost a year now, and it's been paid in full for that long ! Below is my link to Brian's Roadrunner restoration, all work done in an average two car garage in a housing development.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.804375622960774.1073741965.767325469999123&type=3

:popcrn: :coolgleamA: :cheers: :drool5: :icon_smile_big:

mopar4don

I've been waiting on drip rails for over a year now.

phantom

Quote from: Lennard on February 17, 2016, 08:17:57 AM
I bought about $9k worth of sheet metal for my '69, it adds up really fast. Have you ever tried to make the rear valance corners fit on a second generation charger?  But I'm glad they are making the parts, don't get me wrong.  ;)

I bought about 5k worth of AMD metal, including the valance corners. And no, they do not fit without modification. Actually, every single panel i welded on needed some kind of massaging or cutting to fit properly. But looking at the big picture, they are great parts, and without them, many of our Chargers would still be rotting away ;)

thebigmope

I installed one on my 70 and it fit beautiful

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: mopar4don on February 17, 2016, 09:17:33 AM
I've been waiting on drip rails for over a year now.

Wow

Good thing i bought my 10k of metal back when AMD first started pumping out charger metal.

As far as fit goes other than the rear valence corners fit was decent. FINISH on the other hand lots to be desired. Had to redo the passengers rear marker light hole on my 70. The C scallops in the 1st run of door skins were some how too long ? was an inch or so exposed after placing the r/t scoops on the door. The tail lamp buckets on the tail panel had to cut off and start over.

Trunk floor and outter rockers were the best fitting parts of the lot. Literally drop in.

mpd659

Well guys, I cut off a used rocker panel off of a donor Charger and it fits like a glove. AMD wont refund me my money as I epoxy primed it. Beware of their junk. AMD sucks!!!!!!

Mike DC

If the donor Charger has straight & solid rockers in 2016 then it's probably a shame to cut it up. 

mpd659

Mike DC,

The Charger was rolled early in its life, no roof left, and no front frame rails.  Only a few good parts left on it.

Russ      :cheers:

birdsandbees

I'm still getting past the not fitting deal, all our AMD fit like a glove. Passenger rocker included.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

mpd659

On the AMD rocker,the rocker to the door gap was fine toward the rear of the door, but toward the front of the door was terrible, plus the rocker tipped inward. To get the correct door gap I had to tip the bottom of the rocker outward and then there was a 1/2 inch gap between the pinch weld at the bottom of the rocker and the pinch weld at the bottom of the inner rocker. Maybe the AMD stamp was off on mine. All I know is the oem rocker fits fine. Also AMD will not refund my money because I primed the inside. I will use NOS or used oem to finish my 68 Hemi Charger.

Russ

Mike DC

QuoteThe Charger was rolled early in its life, no roof left, and no front frame rails.  Only a few good parts left on it.

Yeah, I figured there was probably other stuff wrong with the body.