News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ryan C. 69 Charger Resto

Started by Ryan.C, February 15, 2016, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphis Mopar

Ryan.C

I installed the hood after work today with some help (its heavy). I have done some other minor non photogenic odds and ends in the last week but nothing major. Any way here are a couple shots of the hood!
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Ryan.C

After nearly 5 years it is starting to look like a charger again.

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

timmycharger

Great build going on here! Nice job.  :cheers:

BDF

This is looking great! Almost there now  :popcrn:

kingdustin

Looks good! I love that green  :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

crj1968

Quote from: Ryan.C on February 20, 2017, 07:39:36 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on February 20, 2017, 01:58:34 PM
Hey Ryan, remember that time you asked me if you could drive my Charger?     :icon_smile_big:

sure do......what are you getting at  :smilielol:

:rotz:

Looking great Ryan. Let me know if you need any help !    :cheers:

Ryan.C

I was getting all of the pieces and parts put on my hood today so the latch assy worked as it should and then.......

Ryan.C

this append. I was fitting my hood mounted turn signals, the passenger side did not fit like I thought it should so I pushed it out to from the bottom to re-evaluate the situation. This is the result!  :brickwall:

How the F do I fix this blunder without extensive paint work????????

Dino

Aww crap.

Okay a few options:

First one is a spot repair where you sand the damage out and keep it as small as you can, followed by a bit of base coat and a small spot repair of clear followed by spraying thinner around the edges to blend it in and lots of polishing. A good painter can make it invisible however there is a chance that eventually you will be able to see a demarcation in the clear.

Second one is simply sanding the damage smooth and sanding the entire hood matte again. Base coat spot repair and clear the entire hood. More money because of the clear but quickest and best looking solution in the long run.

Third option: V21

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2017, 07:25:56 PM
Aww crap.

Okay a few options:

First one is a spot repair where you sand the damage out and keep it as small as you can, followed by a bit of base coat and a small spot repair of clear followed by spraying thinner around the edges to blend it in and lots of polishing. A good painter can make it invisible however there is a chance that eventually you will be able to see a demarcation in the clear.

Second one is simply sanding the damage smooth and sanding the entire hood matte again. Base coat spot repair and clear the entire hood. More money because of the clear but quickest and best looking solution in the long run.

My vote is v21 with option 2 as a second choice. I personally would refuse to do the spot repair. It will fail eventually.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Ryan.C

Thanks for the reply DINO.

As soon as it happened I thought well shit I guess I have to spray V21 now!

I am not ready to commit to the v21 hood treatment route yet. A couple questions since I am going to repair this garbage.....

What grit do I start with?
what type of paint gun is best for a spot repair?
since the damage went through the sealer coat do I shoot sealer on first?

Please be specific man I am not a body guy I just do not like letting the car win and taking things to a "professional".  :smilielol:

Ryan.C

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 04, 2017, 07:48:02 PM
Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2017, 07:25:56 PM
Aww crap.

Okay a few options:

My vote is v21 with option 2 as a second choice. I personally would refuse to do the spot repair. It will fail eventually.

A spot repair will fail over time? For my info please explain why. Thanks.

Dino

It "may" fail, not necessarily will. And with fail it pretty much means it may become visible, it's not going to peel off or anything like that. At worst you will be able to see a fine line between the existing clear and the new clear. The good news is that even if this happens, its easier to see on a blaco or otherwise dark car, but not so much on a bright color like yours.

Here's how it works: you sand down the damage, starting as fine as you can but coarse enough so your substrate is smooth and straight. Likely 400 wet then progress to 600 and 800 wet. Then spot repair with primer, sand with 800/1000 wet. Now sand the surrounding area to a matte finish. There are special pastes for this that you use with a wet scotch brite, but simple sand paper will do. 1200 ish works well. Spot spray sealer followed by base coat and keep it as small as possible. With heavy metallics like yours this still means you need a fairly large area for the base or you may be able to see it in the finished product. You'd be amazed how big a repair becomes for such a tiny spot. After all that you clear the area by going a several inches past your base coat. This will create a band of mist around the newly cleared area. Emoty the gun and rinse it out. Either use a blending agent or old school straight thinner and spray those edges working your way inward. Go slow and repeat until iyou see the old and new clear blend. Once dried you do a quick sand with 3000 wet and polish the whole thing to a shine.

You use small spot repair guns. An airbrush can come in handy for small repairs as well.

This is a lot of work and honestly I only do it when there's no other choice, like when there's an irreplaceable decal on the car or something. In the case of a unicolor hood I'd simply re-clear the entire thing. It's much easier, faster, and will look good forever. You also don't have to stress about keeping the damaged area small.

By the way, V21 doesn't have to be black. Might look good in a similar green, just enough to have some contrast!

Charger-Bodie

I am firmly against spot repairs . They are for lot cars. Or old beaters not nice Resto cars. Don't skimp now do it right and forget it ever happened.

Dino

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 04, 2017, 08:07:07 PM
I am firmly against spot repairs . They are for lot cars. Or old beaters not nice Resto cars. Don't skimp now do it right and forget it ever happened.

Gotta agree with that. There's reasons to do them but your car shouldn't be one of them. We've done them on owner's request and like I said when the options were not there. One was an old race car with a history and a gazzilion decals. No problem doing a spot on that one as it went straight back into someone's private collection.

This repair is simply and quick for an experienced painter.

alfaitalia

More of an issue to me is WHY it happened. I could understand chipping the paint right under the turn signal, where it contacted the paint, but to lift off a piece like that hints at poor paint adhesion or prep. The ripple in the paint/primer near the edge of where you removed the green paint clearly shows poor adhesion. Does perhaps not bode well for paint life or chip /peel resistance. :shruggy:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2017, 08:09:45 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 04, 2017, 08:07:07 PM

Gotta agree with that. There's reasons to do them but your car shouldn't be one of them. We've done them on owner's request and like I said when the options were not there. One was an old race car with a history and a gazzilion decals. No problem doing a spot on that one as it went straight back into someone's private collection.

This repair is simply and quick for an experienced painter.

It's not a hard repair at all and you are correct there are situations that it's ok. But in my world it's rare.

hemi-hampton

The reason it probably chipped was once you get a ton of primer on a car & block & prime ect, ect, these kind of small opening start to fill in with primer & get even smaller. if the part that fits in the hole was already a tight fit it's going to get even tighter if edge of hole filled with primer. These edges need to be sanded smooth & excessive primer removed or this problem can happen. especially around door handles & locks, ect, ect. The good thing about spotting this is you got a nice pointy line to back tape off of & the part itself on other side. about the only blend would be the 2 little spots on left & right side. I've done hundreds of spot jobs like this & would be easy. Although best way would be to clear entire hood after spotting. If you spot it & the blend lines show up later they can be rerubbed to disappear but might keep reappearing. usually a blend gets rubbed as paint is fresh & as it dries over time the blend edges show up. but if you don't like it coming back then maybe put your V21 black out on it if blend edges show up?  LEON.

Ryan.C

Thanks guys I will repair the damage this weekend if I can get to it. Sounds like a big PITA but has to be done.

Ryan.C

I fitted the front spoiler today but it is only attached with clamps. How do you guys go about attaching these? self tapping screws? drill holes and use machine screws?