News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ryan C. 69 Charger Resto

Started by Ryan.C, February 15, 2016, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

I decided to start a build thread. I figure as much as I enjoy everyone else's builds I would share as well. I do not post very often mostly because if I have a question someone on this board has already posted the answer. This forum is really awesome  :2thumbs:

I bought the car back in 2012 from san fransisco (I live in Boise, ID). It was a 318/904 car still had points ignition. I drove the car as purchased for about six months untill I decieded to rebuild the front suspension and convert to front discs. I felt like every time I got on the highway I was risking my life! So I stripped the front end and figured I had gone this far I would really like a big block and a four speed. so out came the 318 and 904. After that I thought this thing could really use a fresh coat of shinny paint. And so on and so on. Before I knew it the driver's quarter panel and trunk are cut out and I am not a body man at all.  :eek2:  I made countless phone calls to my two Uncles back in Ohio that restore old mopars all the time. And they schooled me the best they could over the phone on the finer points of body work (since it was too late to talk me out of it).

Here are a few of the car when I bought it.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Ryan.C

some of the metal work

Ryan.C

a few more

darbgnik

Well that got outta hand!

I'm in the same position as you. In the process of a complete resto of a 70 318 car. 318 long gone in place of a 440, but still an XP Charger.

According to some it'll always be worthless, but here's the way I looked at it when I bought it, and still feel the same today; The fact that it isn't an R/T means I won't upset the Mopar gods when I do whatever the hell I want to it. Don't get me wrong, it'll look mostly correct, be mostly period correct, but what happens to the car, happens without later fears of worth clouding the issue.

BTW, seems like a pretty good start for a non-body guy!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Ryan.C

Most of 2014 consisted of lots and lots of block sanding! I also fitted and installed US car tool sub frame connectors, torque boxes and lower radiator support. With the advise of Ron "firefighter" I built a 440 with stealth heads ported and prepped by "heyoldguy". I modified the trans tunnel to fit a 2004 Viper 6-speed I picked up.

keepat

Very cool, please keep the pictures coming!
Pat

garner7555

Wow, Awesome build!  With the help of Ron and Heyoldguy that will be an awesome engine!   Look forward to more updates!   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ryan.C

This past november I put the car in sealer and paint (finally). 

Posting these pics takes forever by the way. It seems I always get "file is too large" or "that file name already exists" error messages.

Ryan.C

After the sealer went on (November 2015) I was able to see if I was any good at paintwork. I think it turned out ok, even though I had some mottling and had to re-shoot the outside panels ($900 mistake). I wasn't about to pay 10-15K to have a shop do all this stuff. So I bought a paint gun and got to it.

Back N Black

crj1968

looks awesome Ryan !  That car was pretty clean when you got it.

My newest 70 is nearly road worthy (not restored)  ;D

When I get it going I will swing by to check out your work in person.

I'm impressed man- you took on a bunch of stuff you've never done before and did an outstanding job !!   :2thumbs:   :coolgleamA:

out there

Sweet car! Looking forward to seeing more.  I have twice deleted my posts after trying to post pictures four and five times after I re sized them. Very frustrating and time consuming. There is a glitch in the system no doubt

Ryan.C

Quote from: crj1968 on February 16, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
looks awesome Ryan !  That car was pretty clean when you got it.

My newest 70 is nearly road worthy (not restored)  ;D

When I get it going I will swing by to check out your work in person.

I'm impressed man- you took on a bunch of stuff you've never done before and did an outstanding job !!   :2thumbs:   :coolgleamA:

Yeah man! get that car on the road and come on over. I am on leave for a couple more weeks. shoot me a PM when you plan on making the trip.  :2thumbs:

Ryan.C

Quote from: Back N Black on February 16, 2016, 11:59:17 AM
Nice!! is that F6 green?

Funny you should say that. I was originally going to paint the car F6 but then I seen a 2011 dodge challenger painted "green with envy". And I had to have that color on my Charger.

crj1968

That turned out to be a really nice brake conversion.   :icon_smile_big: 

I could probably limp my car over this weekend....it's a short drive, so I should have enough coolant, tranny fluid and steering fluid left to get home.   :brickwall:   ;D

Ryan.C

Got a few things done today. bilstein shocks installed on the front, rear axle with ESPO leaf springs and firmfeel stage II box. If anyone is planning on getting ESPO springs be advised the front bolt provided with the springs is too long for B-Bodies (or at least this was my case).

crj1968

Hey man at this rate maybe you'll be rolling by the weekend also!  :icon_smile_big:

Looks awesome all around ! :2thumbs:

Ryan.C

Quote from: crj1968 on February 16, 2016, 08:54:57 PM
Hey man at this rate maybe you'll be rolling by the weekend also!  :icon_smile_big:

Looks awesome all around ! :2thumbs:

I hope so!!!

I got my clutch in the mail today-tomorrow I plan to at least prep the engine, trans & engine bay for drivetrain instal.  :coolgleamA:

Ryan.C

I also put on the R/T emblem on the taillight panel  :coolgleamA:

Ryan.C

My front wheels and tires showed up today. I should have the rears on by the weekend!

fy469rtse

Dino

That looks great!   :2thumbs:

Not a bad choice of wheels.   :coolgleamA:   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

crj1968

keepat

wheels look great, what size tires and wheel BS?
Thanks
Pat