News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel out of the filler cap

Started by Draco, March 07, 2017, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco

So guy's sense my car has been back on road 2 years June. I have had a problem with gas coming out of the filler on hard right cornering on the autocross track. Even when less than half tank. So I cut a peice of rubber an placed it under the cap and has worked well. Thing is not sure if I am starving the tank for air. Any thoughts :shruggy: Ps. seal on cap looks to be ok.

Mytur Binsdirti

Don't autocross it. Problem solved.

draftingmonkey

Either the seal on the cap is bad, no matter how it looks, or the mating surface on the fuel filler pipe has an imperfection so the cap doesn't quite seat tight.

Draco

Sorry I have got to run the cones, It becomes a sickness. Kinda like having more than one project car. I agree that the seal is probably the problem. I pulled apart a spare gas cap to see how it comes apart, pain in the ass. The peice that I cut to help works think I will punch a few holes in the middle to make sure the tank is getting some air. Weather is supposed to be nice next day or two think I will go for a ride find a parking lot make a few hard turns see what happens. 

birdsandbees

Tank should be getting air thru your vent line(s)!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

JR

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 07, 2017, 05:43:45 PM
Don't autocross it. Problem solved.

Yes, by all means, drive it 55mph to the cruise in and sit behind it in a lawn chair. Get your kicks from rubbing it with a diaper and discussing part numbers of radiatior hoses instead.  THAT sounds like a good time! ::)

But seriously,  I had the exact same problem, discovered it at an autoX also. Fixed it by adding another gasket under the cap like you did. DO NOT add any more holes under your fuel cap, or youll be right back to where you started from.

Is your car carbed or fuel injected? Either way, your tank was designed to get air from the vent line.

If its carbed, it should pull air from the vent tube on top of the fuel filler.

If its EFI (and im assuming it has an aftermarket tank), it shoud get its air from the vent line from the tank with a rollover valve installed.

But either way, your right, it has to pull air from somewhere as it consumes fuel. If it cant, it will create a vacuum as fuel is removed and kill the fuel pump, run poorly, or collapse the full tank.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Draco

Yes still carburated, it hasn't giving me any problems sense I added the extra seal just trying to be proactive. Thanks guy's