News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repro Parts

Started by 68dodge, February 01, 2016, 08:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68dodge

Hi All,

I'm looking to get front and rear bumpers and a fuel tank for my 68. I've looked at Year One and Rockauto websites and there is a fair difference in the prices. Is it the case that the Year One parts are of a higher quality and thus command the higher price? Has anybody recently bought these items and if so can you give me your opinion on their quality.

Cheers - Mike

303 Mopar

Year One is way over priced.  Summit has free shipping and is usually very competitive on pricing.  When possible, go to the source and shop pricing before pulling the trigger. One great source for OEM products is Dave at Roseville http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/

A good option for a fuel tank - http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/v/1968/dodge/charger.  Summit sells these too.

Unfortunately most bumpers are now Chinese thin metal crappy quality.  AMD makes the best quality metal parts IMO.  http://www.autometaldirect.com/-c-24.html
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

68dodge

I didn't realise that AMD manufactured the bumpers they sell, I thought that all the companies imported them from the far east.

69bfan

Check Amazon for the fuel tank for your car.  There pricing is very competitive and there is at least three different options.  I would personally spend the extra for a Sprectra tank.  AMD carries the Sprectra tanks as well.  You will just have to evaluate all of the different vendors and yes the bumpers all come through AMD that I am aware of for your 68 Charger.  If at all possible, items like these can be expensive to ship so that will have to be figured into the pricing as well.  If possible, picking said items up at one of the upcoming shows can save you some money if you have a favorite vendor attending any shows within your area.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

darbgnik

Year One is convenient one stop shopping, but you pay for the convenience!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

BY RSCO

check out Tri City Plating in Eliabethtown, TN for your bumpers. Got mine there, they are original and re-chromed very nicely (they had them there already, seem to keep a small stock of them)
Hope this helps.
Ditto on Year One, overpriced. Only thing I got there was wiring when it was %30 off..

68dodge

Thanks all for your help/advice. I should have mentioned that I am located in England.
With most parts we import from your side of the pond, the shipping costs and customs charges
can put the prices through the roof certainly on large items.

I was considering getting them re-chromed but it's cheaper to import them and if there's
one thing I detest, it's putting non American made parts on my car, so I'm always keen to
find out where parts are manufactured before I buy, but as we know there are times when
we don't have a choice.

I'll see if Tri City have any in stock if they do it'll be a toss up between them and AMD.

Mike

Lennard

If you can get re chromed originals, take them over AMD. From what I've read here on the forum over the years is that the AMD bumpers are nice but don't fit as well as original ones and the chrome isn't always up to par.

Dmichels

Get the originals re-chromed. The repro parts have thin chrome that starts to dull and pit quickly. It is not a bargain when in a few years the bumpers start looking shabby. It brings the look of the whole car down. Tri City in the US does a great job but the shipping will kill you. You must have chrome shops local to you. I am sure that it is just as expensive by you as it is here. It is labor intensive and they have to deal with the environmental issues that come with the chemicals they use. Just bite the bullet and get it done right. It is part of the "fun" of owning these old cars.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10