News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the strongest tap that I could buy to tap a spindle?

Started by WH23G3G, February 07, 2016, 09:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

My 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T seems to be heading the way of my 1973 Charger. It sits more than it's driven because of little annoyances. I was leisurely going to upgrade the front brake system with new drilled rotors, carbon fiber pads, reman calipers and new brake hoses. No big deal until I took off the calipers. They bolt directly to the spindle by a cheap little M9x1.25 hex pin. If you cross thread them or over tighten just a hair the threads are gone. You can almost guarantee to cross thread them because you can't see where the bolt is going because it's hidden by a large rubber bushing that it goes through. Well when I got to the driver's side someone had put a heli-coil in too big and actually cracked the spindle. So I had to find a good used spindle which is impossible because only a 1999 will fit. So I got the only one around from a 1999 Durango but of course it's threads had already had heli-coils in them but actually looked professionally installed. Even though when I took the hub bearing off it had a shallow cut in it from a cut-off wheel. Luckily it's on the meaty part of the spindle. I tried to at the very least clean the threads on the old spindle with a M9x1.25 tap I had to order but it broke on like the second turn and it didn't appear to be in crooked. So I'll probably end up having to get the passenger side heli-coiled. My question is what is the going to be the strongest M9x1.25 tap that I need to buy? I will try that first because the passenger side might still be saveable. If I have to get the heli-coil inserts which are the strongest?

rt green

they sell tap sets made just for spindles. why invest in tools you will use just once? take it to a machine shop for repair or order another spindle. go to car-parts.com for online salvage parts.
third string oil changer