News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Real bolt on improvements, is there a thread somewhere?

Started by Lord Warlock, November 19, 2015, 09:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Based on the entire context, you implied lower compression ratios on modern cars. Any way you look at it, you said that compression ratios were being limited to battle n0x. If that were the case, we wouldnt be at 11:1 on todays v8 muscle cars compared to 9:1 or less on the 60s car that we are comparing.

1974dodgecharger

WELL PUT!!!!!  :2thumbs:

The only thing modern cars don't have over old school is styling....

Quote from: BSB67 on February 04, 2016, 07:47:18 PM
Todays modern muscle make incredible low end power.  Not sue what car you are talking about  :shruggy:

The large LSA, i.e.  reduced overlap, is not about cylinder pressure, but HC escaping during overlap.  The CR and cylinder pressure are being limited for NOx control, but the manufacturers are not controlling that with LSA/ICL.

40 years ago, then 30 years ago, then 20 years ago, the hobby was doomed, crap gas, thought to be impossible emission standards, and gas mileage standard's.  Everyone said the hobby was dead, more than once, and never coming back.  But today, with way more restrictions than ever, cars are making more power than ever.  10 second factory manufactured street cars that are quiet, idle nice, have A/C, and every imaginable gadget.  No one imagined this.  I think it is a little presumptuous to think that today is the pinnacle.  Even if it slips backwards for some time period, it will still be way better than in the 60s and 70s.

Sure you can bolt on a bunch of go fast parts, and add converter, gear, tire to make a little power and be a little quicker with your low compression motor with crap heads, but will you actually want to drive it then?  And then, with all that stuff, everyone will wonder why you only are make 400 hp, instead of 600 hp, and running 13.0s instead of 11.0s

So to the OP, I agree with you, I think.  You can throw all the HP stuff you want a low compression crap head motor, and you are only polishing a turd.  And that is okay, just as long as you know it.

An honest 550 hp in a nice driving/well mannered BB Mopar is very very easy.  It just costs money.