News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hydroboost mounting plate for a 69. Which one?

Started by Dino, February 08, 2016, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I need to order a mounting plate for the hydrobooster but now I'm not sure which one I need.

http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_32_28&products_id=124
http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_32_28&products_id=126

The first pic shows the b body plate on the Tallon website.  There's this bit of information that has me puzzled:

"Some 1969-70 applications had a mid year change in braking systems.

Application may list as B Body but use a E Body Mounting plate.

To check for correct application measure up from lowest mounting plate hole to center of brake pedal rod if this measurement is 1 inch this is the B Body plate if the measurement is 2 inches this is the E Body plate."

That plate's in picture 2.

I no longer have my stock drum booster but I do have the stock mounting plate.  I measured from the bottom mounting holes to the center of the large hole where the stock pushrod went through and it's 2".

But that means the hydroboost pushrod would mount onto the stock bellcrank (is that what it's called?).  If I drop the hydrobooster an inch then the pushrod would bolt up directly to the brake pedal.  Of course I'd have to shorten the brake lines from the mc as well, but they need tweaking anyway to fit the aftermarket combo valve on the frame rail.

I probably should go with the e body plate, pic 2.  So do you guys have the pushrod mounted on the top hole of the bellcrank or straight onto the pedal?  Does your mounting plate look like the one in the first or second pic?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

Here's an awful pic of mine that shows the plate with the hole lower down. I'll get some better ones later   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

Alright here are some better photos showing the hole lower down. And mine does mount directly to the pedal.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Thank you sir!  :cheers:

I figured that I'd have to go with the other plate but this would probably be easier since the pushrod goes straight to the pedal.

Do you have any clearance issues at all seeing the booster and master sit lower than the stock ones?

WHITE AND RED 69

Only part that is close to anything is the shock bolt. I'm worried if I go to adjustable shocks there won't be enough room for the adjustment knob. But standard shocks fit just fine.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Okay I got standard shocks so no issues there.  Aren't the brake lines to the master a bit close to the inner fender?  I can rebend them, just wondering.  I had a good amount of clearance when I had it lined up with the hole in the stock mounting plate and the brake lines almost fell into place, but if I go that route then I need to attach the pushrod to the bellcrank.

Regardless of which mounting plate I use, I need to decide how to shorten the pushrod.  The one currently staked on the booster is about 5" long so either I cut it and thread it or I somehow remove it and get a shorter one.

Now that my vacuum booster is off the brake pedal is no longer where it used to be.  How much higher is it supposed to sit compared to the gas pedal?

WHITE AND RED 69

Yeah the front line is a bit close to the shock tower but doesn't rub. Rear line has plenty of clearance.

The pedal height is maybe 1-1/2-2" forward of the gas pedal on mine. I can get some measurements of the heights of the pedal if you want.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Don't bother just yet, you've got plenty to do already!

My throttle cable is not connected to anything and the gas pedal is not even in the car.  I'll get it back in and brace it and I'll use some springs to hold the brake pedal in place.  I should get the seat back in and just get a feel for where it should be.  If I really need a measurement I'm sure there's a few good people here who can get me a quick measurement.   :yesnod:

Thanks for all the help Clayton.   :cheers:

garner7555

The brake pedal needs to come back toward the seat enough to press the brake light switch.     :yesnod:   Otherwise the brake lights would stay on all the time.  If you decide to do custom brake pedal height then just don't forget to relocate brake light switch accordingly.    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Good point!  Didn't think about the switch.  Thanks for the heads up.   :cheers: