News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new shocks (suggestions)

Started by Stegs, February 02, 2016, 09:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

looking to replace my 4 shocks for a better ride, and possible better handling

Was looking at my shocks last night, turns out the rear has vintage Gabriel air shocks in it. I couldnt understand what the nipple was coming out of the top of the shock, then i followed a little black tube to a fitting that ended up in my trunk

These are fully deflated (didnt know i had them) Im guessing this is from the early 70s when you guys did these ridiculous things to cars  :rofl:

Anyway, just looking for a decent shock, eventually will go with Bilstiens, but for now just get something that will be better than these antiques i have now

Guy from work suggest napa sensatrak? he said they are about 50 a piece and made his truck ride way better

I know we dont have a truck, but wondering what you guys suggest? looking to spend around 50 per shock.....maybe more

again, just looking for something to get me 3-5 years, with a comfortable ride and maybe better handling

I think these shocks are shot, my car was sitting in a barn since 1985....im sure they are no good anymore

myk

Why not buy the Bilsteins you mentioned, now?  That or the Fox/Hotchkis shocks.  As soon as you drive the car with those on, you'll be glad you did it.   That stuff in the departments stores, like the Monroes for example, aren't good enough for applications like ours.

303 Mopar

I am a big believer in Bilstiens, had them on my '71 Challenger and loved them as they are the best shock for the price.  However, my budget would not allow for them so I just put on the Napa Sensa-Trac load adjusting shocks on the rear and really like them.  They look like they would be firm, but they are actually perfect and almost half the cost of the Bilstiens.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on February 02, 2016, 11:13:06 AM
Why not buy the Bilsteins you mentioned, now?  That or the Fox/Hotchkis shocks.  As soon as you drive the car with those on, you'll be glad you did it.   That stuff in the departments stores, like the Monroes for example, aren't good enough for applications like ours.

I'm with Myk on this one. Shocks are one of the most important parts on a car, don't go the cheap route. Save up and get the Bilsteins. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Stegs

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 02, 2016, 12:02:55 PM
I am a big believer in Bilstiens, had them on my '71 Challenger and loved them as they are the best shock for the price.  However, my budget would not allow for them so I just put on the Napa Sensa-Trac load adjusting shocks on the rear and really like them.  They look like they would be firm, but they are actually perfect and almost half the cost of the Bilstiens.

hmm interesting...just what my coworker suggested, except the coil over part

I would do bilstiens now, but budget dont allow at this point. To many other things the car needs at this point. Just some basic shocks will work until later down the road....eventually i want to do all new suspension for the entire car.

I will look into these more now.....im fairly sure they will ride better than my circa 1970s worn out shocks i have now

EDIT. found these...i will probably go with these for about 100 a shock,...http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6375/.f?sc=12

b5blue

I put on 4 Monroe from Rock Auto...about 65.00 shipped. Nothing fancy but nice ride for a daily driver. Liked them enough to put 4 on my Cherokee, huge difference there! They will get you by till your ready later!  :2thumbs:

Stegs

Quote from: b5blue on February 02, 2016, 06:18:34 PM
I put on 4 Monroe from Rock Auto...about 65.00 shipped. Nothing fancy but nice ride for a daily driver. Liked them enough to put 4 on my Cherokee, huge difference there! They will get you by till your ready later!  :2thumbs:

Dang, i keep forgetting about rock auto...back in my jeep days i was a VIP customer with how much i ordered, i keep forgetting about them

I will check out what they have!

edit, they have KYB shocks for improved handling and ride over OEM spec shocks...

Ive decided just to bite the bullet, get Bilstiens from PST. 409 for front and backs

anybody know if they include all the hardware (bolts, nuts etc) with the shocks?

303 Mopar

Quote from: Stegs on February 03, 2016, 09:36:16 AM
Ive decided just to bite the bullet, get Bilstiens from PST. 409 for front and backs

anybody know if they include all the hardware (bolts, nuts etc) with the shocks?

Congrats!  They will not come with any hardware.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible