News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seperating the inner and outer skins from the trunk and hood HELP!

Started by mopar4don, February 11, 2016, 11:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Has anyone seperated the trunk lid, inner and outer skins?
What about the hood inner and outer skins?
Are there any how to's or examples with pics? I searched the threads with no luck.

fy469rtse

Don ,
the hood is not too bad with minimal spot welds on the sides, trunk  good luck , I think bending the over lapped sheet metal will fatigue it
your skill level make a new skin ,
got access to an English wheel or some one who does ?

mopar4don

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 11, 2016, 08:26:07 PM
Don ,
the hood is not too bad with minimal spot welds on the sides, trunk  good luck , I think bending the over lapped sheet metal will fatigue it
your skill level make a new skin ,
got access to an English wheel or some one who does ?
The reason I ask, is both the hood and trunk have dents were you cant get to the back side because of the inner skin.
The other reason is the inner structure has quite a bit of rust. I don't think it is to bad, but when I roll the the trunk lid around I can hear quite a bit of debris between the inner and outer skins.
Your right about the over lap. It's looks similar to a door skin, how the outer skin rolls over all the way around the perimeter.

Not really sure how to takle this??

ht4spd307

i think if you remove the skin its a one way ticket either replace the skin or source another truck lid i would go with another lid but that's just me .you yourself i can see your up to the challenge but its just another can of worms

Lord Warlock

a hot glue dent puller will work pretty well on areas you can't get to from behind.  if car has original paint it works better, but if repainted can pull the paint off if use wrong glue stick. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Lord Warlock

I've got one of those, along with other glue dent pullers, if you plan on repainting afterwards, the stud welder is a great tool.  Mine came with a T handle that you could manipulate a dent gently once pulled out with the slide hammer, the t handle is a finess tool.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.