News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hughes valley cover. $55 awcrap.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, April 09, 2006, 05:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

Once again,   I find myself ph8cking up so you don't have to  :icon_smile_dead:.

I ordered a 3272 Hughes valley cover kit for dual plane awhile back and finally took it out the box today after I finally got around to putting in the pushrods and discovered I ph8gged up.
   See link here: http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11610&eTypeID=9

A.   Can't be installed with both heads already on...  well dam nobody mentions that on their website anywhere but when you try to install it,  that suddenly becomes obvious.

B.   Sure... NOW it says can't be used with a 6 pack intake... nobody said that when I bought it.... good thing I didn't have it bolted up and found that out.   When I called up Hughes to find out about it I said I had a 6 pack intake and that's what the guy on the phone said to get.   (note:  they updated their website very recently - didn't say anything about 6 packs on their before ).

So it's back to the old 1215.  I don't see anything else that will work that's readily available.   Maybe I'll drop one off to get powder coated so it's easier to clean.    Neither engine clear nor aluminum paint stay clean for long either.   Or maybe not.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Troy

Thanks for being the guinea pig for the rest of us. That sucks that it won't work for you though.

If it will work on my 440 with Holley SD intake I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. No plans for a 6 pack here... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BrianShaughnessy

I can only guess that it should work with your intake.   If you want to give it a try then PM/email me a address and I'll send it to you.   it's the least I can do since you won't take $ for the site.         

Big Sugar

That's Funny Brian, I thought you knew ! I just went through the same deal with mine but luckly Ben over at Promax realized the problem before I shiped it over to QC coatings ! Stuck with the old Fellpro I Guess.
Manifold should be back this week , Nice people over at QC coatings.Thanks for the Tip !

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Chryco Psycho

Bulldog has a nice 2 piece unit that can be installed & removed with both heads on ,,not sure if the supply on those is a bad as the heads though

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 10, 2006, 01:06:32 AM
Bulldog has a nice 2 piece unit that can be installed & removed with both heads on ,,not sure if the supply on those is a bad as the heads though

I can only grab the pic with the split... but it doesn't appear dual plane / six pack friendly  :P   
http://www.bulldogperformance.net/Chrysler.html

Big Sugar - I coulda/shoulda/woulda known if I had taken it out of the box maybe... oh well.  :icon_smile_blackeye:     Good luck with the intake.    QC is good people.  They did a nice job on my intake.   

Silver R/T

I like that bulldog, planning on getting one
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

I didn`t say it was 6 pack friendly just that at least it is designed right so it can be removed or installed without needed a head gasket as well

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 11, 2006, 01:06:19 AM
I didn`t say it was 6 pack friendly just that at least it is designed right so it can be removed or installed without needed a head gasket as well

No criticism intended.     

It looks like a better piece than the other Hughes 2 piece sheet metal design.    But that doesn't change that these can't be used on a dual plane manifold.   OK... so most racers use single planes, etc so it really doesn't matter anyway.   

I was just blantantly unaware (ie: stupid) that the 1 piece design had to be installed before the head(s).   And somebody else must have told Hughes that the 6 pak didn't fit their dedicated dual plane part after I bought it.

Anyway...  the 1215 is up to almost $29 at regular parts store prices nowadays.  :o 

firefighter3931

Brian, you don't necessarily need the 1215 with e-heads because there's no heat crossovers to block off  ;) I'm just mentioning this because the std gasket is usually cheaper than the 1215 and you can save a few bucks = more beer money  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 12, 2006, 07:00:43 AM
Brian, you don't necessarily need the 1215 with e-heads because there's no heat crossovers to block off  ;) I'm just mentioning this because the std gasket is usually cheaper than the 1215 and you can save a few bucks = more beer money  :cheers:

Ron

Yup.     I use the 1215 because I get a better warm fuzzy using the paper gaskets that come with it on the aluminum intake.
Before when I had the cast 6 pak (that went to CudaKen) I only used the turkey pan - in fact that's all that would fit.   I can get papers in with the aluminum tho.    I just mentioned the price cause it seems to have gone up about $5 in the last year or 2 when I bought the last one. 

Half of the deal with wanting to try to use a new fangled valley/intake deal was to see how well they would seal up.    I'd really like to see if using some of the Ultraseal gaskets, etc. are better than the old stuff.   Guess I won't find out anytime soon...  unless I fix it the hard way by pushing a stroker short block up from the bottom  :icon_smile_big:

greenrt_se

I use Hughes sealing kit whit dual plane intake,and it seems working ok,no leaks