News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tighten steering column?

Started by rikubot, January 29, 2016, 10:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I was wondering if there was a way to tighten up the steering column. Mine has some give to it while the car is off.
Thanks in advance
-Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

Kern Dog

If you mean the free play in the steering wheel when the car is not running, this is normal with power steering. Once the engine is running, the pump pressure takes up some slack.
It may be annoying but it is how they are.

Dino

One thing you could check is the coupler at the steering box.  They wear out over time and they're cheap to rebuild.  Most part stores carry the kit but it comes with a red seal instead of the stock black.  That one can be find for more dollars though if you like.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rikubot

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 29, 2016, 11:55:37 PM
If you mean the free play in the steering wheel when the car is not running, this is normal with power steering. Once the engine is running, the pump pressure takes up some slack.
It may be annoying but it is how they are.

It's not too annoying, but it's way more than my buddy's ride. I am afraid I'm gonna wallow something out if that's even possible. This isn't something they adjust when you get an alignment, is it?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

That's the one but shop around.  It can be found under $10.

Part number is 4443436AC and fits numerous models and years.

There's also a spring clip you can buy to fit over the coupler for extra security.  I think you can find it on ebay.  Do a search for it here.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.