News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ordered Sidewinder heads... It's alive!

Started by b5blue, January 27, 2016, 07:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Thanks for the replies guys!  :2thumbs: This is a bare bones swap so no extra paint or fixing up. My engine bay looks like crap anyway. (Keeping cost/time down as low as possible.) I do have a set of Cal Custom finned valve covers to add but that's about it. The CH4B came from Tony's painted silver so there will be no orange but the block and air cleaner. (I know the A.C. should be black wrinkle but it came with a very nice paint job.)
  Pretty and correct look have to wait, A/C and new exhaust are next.  :lol:

b5blue

Stripped down today and measured top of piston to deck height. Approximately .01 by using a feeler gauge held to the edge of the bore on top of a piston all the way up.  :scratchchin: That would explain ping I was chasing?   

firefighter3931

Well, that's great news for your new build with the closed chamber aluminum heads. Resulting static compression will be over 10:1 and it will be a tight quench combination. That's a win/win scenario !  :2thumbs:

It certainly explains why you were having some detonation issues  :yesnod:

When you're setting up the ignition I would dial in 16* of base timing at idle and 34-35* total as a start point. If you hook up the vacuum advance use the "ported" vacuum nipple to pull in the extra timing under light load/hwy cruise conditions.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on February 21, 2016, 02:25:55 PM
Stripped down today and measured top of piston to deck height. Approximately .01 by using a feeler gauge held to the edge of the bore on top of a piston all the way up.  :scratchchin: That would explain ping I was chasing?   

Some things are still not adding up.  How many valve reliefs in the pistons.  Got a picture?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

2 on each piston. My crude measure may be off a bit but not much. Like I said exact piston info was lost but Chuck is very "old school" so no telling?  :scratchchin:  Pics soon! 

b5blue

Pic, I put my feeler gauge flat on top of the piston until one felt exactly even with the deck. (.254 MM or .01 is second thinnest gauge in the set.) You can see the valve reliefs. (I'll clean them up and look for numbering.) 

oldschool

You cant go wrong with Marsh Performance. Todd is a honest guy! He is building me a 600 cubic inch motor that will be ready very soon....I have seen his work in person.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

BSB67

You should be in good shape.

Here are a couple of things to consider:
1) Clean every piston top thoroughly.
2) get a straight edge and with your feeler gauge measure each compression distance at TDC.
3) Find a gasket that gives you 0.040" piston to head clearance on your highest pistons.
4) if you have ping, consider the Bob K. cam

Cool thermostat, cool plugs and blocked cross over will help eliminate ping.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

I see partial part numbers on the next piston. But as just stated, measure and order accordingly.

vegasmike

I bought these heads a few months ago,,my experience with them is you better be dead on with the intake manifold bolts..they are exposed inside the head.if you have one bolt giving you a problem,stop,it will leave metal shavings around the valve spring..just my experience. i had two bolts give me hell...

b5blue

b5blue

PISTON #: H147CP .060
               11606-14-B
Stamped on top of each piston.
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/mopar_speed_pro_trw_forged_pistons.htm  (Listed if you scroll down.)

garner7555

I just received a pair of these Sidewinders yesterday.  Can't wait to try them out but my car is totally disassembled.   :brickwall:   I will be looking forward to hearing your results and opinion!   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

Yesterday I noticed some flashing (left over from being cast) sticking out inside one of the coolant holes on the end of the head. It was enough to have me whip out my Dremel and trim away. Most of the holes for pushrods had burrs left from machining that I shaved off and hit with a file. Look them over very closely they still may need a bit of loving detail. I test fit my old school Cal Custom valve covers and started cleaning/prepping/checking parts.
The plan had been to reuse my exhaust studs but they won't budge, installed carefully with sealant years ago to not to leak coolant. So new studs and nuts were ordered late yesterday. Today I'll prep the block and hope to install the heads/intake/carb so next weekend I can fire this thing up and start adjusting the Proform 750. Had I not been so burned out from work I'd been done already!   

b5blue

I've mocked up the exhaust manifolds to check fit and clearance. Using Cal Custom valve covers and heat shield exhaust gaskets from Fel-Pro I wanted to see how the angled plug holes effected plug wire clearance.
  Plugs bit close on the rear of passengers side manifold but everywhere else an improvement, that angle may end up helping plug removal and install.  :scratchchin: 

b5blue

Well it's been a miserable month but it's back together. Going through final checks and rechecking things here and there. Firing up this weekend, wish me luck!  :lol:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

garner7555

Quote from: vegasmike on February 22, 2016, 08:47:27 PM
I bought these heads a few months ago,,my experience with them is you better be dead on with the intake manifold bolts..they are exposed inside the head.if you have one bolt giving you a problem,stop,it will leave metal shavings around the valve spring..just my experience. i had two bolts give me hell...

Thanks for the heads up.  I watched for this but I'm glad to say that all of my bolts went in with no issues.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Awesome!!   :2thumbs:   I bet you will be happy with the performance!   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

kokxville

I'm following this thread for a while and i'm really curious about the numbers your 440 will make  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

BSB67

Quote from: kokxville on March 19, 2016, 03:53:03 AM
I'm following this thread for a while and i'm really curious about the numbers your 440 will make  :2thumbs:

Me too.  Has all the makings of a really nice running motor.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Unfortunately I've no way to get real numbers, just general impression from Butt-O-Meter readings.  The dizzy is set with big/small springs to give a dual rate curve and close to Ron's specs and the Proform 750 was adjusted but no changes from out of box parts.
 This head swap is driven by the "ping" issue not a quest for big power gains. The piston height explained why years of tweaking and adjusting could not resolve pinging.  

b5blue

Cycled 3 times to heat/cool and around the block a few easy laps to burp cooling system. Fired right up with one small shot of starting fluid. Every thing looks normal so I'll cycle up to full temp a few more times and keep checking things. Rain all weekend has me kinda sticking close to home just in case. (Can't open it up and let it rip on wet roads.)
  The few clopping lifters I had shut up and are behaving now, I removed and disassembled each one to allow them to pump up to new adjustment. I used Comp Cams assembly lube on all of the valve train/lifter contact points and and filled with Brad Penn 20-50. The Calyx coating on the exhaust manifolds smoked and stunk the place up a bit but is settling down and looks pretty good. (We'll see if it holds up?) 

b5blue

Well taken out on the now dry roads and tried to find ping like before. Gone, no trace of ping. (With no changes from last "iron head" settings.) I did manage to attract 3 cop cars in five minutes so more testing postponed. The kick down is not kicking like it should so that's next along with a mid RPM cruise speed vacuum reading to find power valve rating.  :2thumbs: