News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to rebuild PS pump

Started by grdprx, March 22, 2016, 05:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

How does one rebuild a power steering pump?  I don't see how it comes apart, let alone know how to get the pulley off.  I have a 1968 TRW pump that is leaking at the bottom front edge.  I also had the internals shift on me when I took the bracket off, the back bolt hole doesn't line up.  I've come to realize these old pumps are hard to come by now...

BLK 68 R/T

The pulley takes a special tool to remove it, it is a press fit pulley. The pump just has a large o-ring that seals it to the reservoir. I'm not too familiar with TRW pumps but on the saginaw pumps once you remove the mounting brackets the studs that they mount to unscrew and that is what holds the pump to the housing. I would think that TRW would be similar?

grdprx

Check that action out!  Thanks man!  Is a little play on the shaft normal? 

crj1968

Yes the shaft play is normal.

I just replaced my federal pump and old and new both had the shaft play I think it is to absorb misalignment a bit.

I used a puller from harbor freight worked great.