News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rat muscle "daisy" build

Started by cbrestorations, January 25, 2016, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrestorations

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 23, 2016, 11:01:35 AM
Here ya go....yours for a mere $14,000! Runs on pump fuel too. Being British (not much NASCAR coverage here....like none!) I had to look up to see what an R5 even was!!

http://www.eatmonraceparts.com/fresh-built-nascar-dodge-mopar-r5-p7-wet-sump-engine-pump-gas-745hp-540-ft-lb-torque/

:cheers:

i had the chance to buy three r5 engines from kroyer here in town for 10k...i kick myself in the ass everytime i think about it...when i finally decided i should do it they were gone. complete engines with drysump, carbs, belhousing and clutch, stupid stupid stupid...

challenger70

We should start a "go fund me" page to keep this Charger all Mopar.  Maybe it will be a Christmas miracle!  Help this poor Charger, for just 50cents a day you can prevent a tragedy.  Any plans for the homeless 440?
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

cbrestorations

The Mopar gods have shined down on me and I had a guy call me and offer an aluminum block Nascar r5p7 engine for cheap!!! Staying Mopar now

cdr

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 23, 2016, 04:56:48 PM
The Mopar gods have shined down on me and I had a guy call me and offer an aluminum block Nascar r5p7 engine for cheap!!! Staying Mopar now

Really ?  so does that mean I can like you again :)  HAHA   VERY COOL
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

qwick68

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 23, 2016, 04:56:48 PM
Everyone can sleep easy tonight now
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JB400

Honestly, I think the R5p7 will fit this build just that much better. :2thumbs:

Mike DC

QuoteHonestly, I think the R5p7 will fit this build just that much better. 2thumbs

Agreed. 

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

RCCDrew

ACUDANUT

Mopar Nut

:woohoo:  When can we see a picture of the install of the r5p7 engine.   :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cbrestorations

having to do a quarter patch on the left side now, metal was not good enough to try an flare it for the tire to fit. good and bad i guess. i kinda thought it would be funny having a quarter panel flapping in the wind around the track but i guess its for the better

djcarguy

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 22, 2016, 03:20:40 PM
out with the big block to get ready for the new 350lb lighter drivetrain...built ls3 with 7.25" twin disc clutch and jerico 4 speed  :D

:popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:

Mikko

Really really interesting build :) Read it quickly through at one sit but had to take time and read it again with time.

So you have plans to really drift with it? What are your thoughts with steering, other areas is suspension seems legit for that with suitable spring ratios and dampers :)

Engine choice, i´m building clean streeto ´70 myself and when also palying with Gm stuff, i was really thinking LS swap too, but went with 6.1 route.

I drift my self with 2gen Camaro, with supercharged LS3 and boy i love that engine, Camaro is pretty much just drift car, also capable to circuit racing but i´d really want similar tech setup also for street car.
I convinced my friend to do r5p7 swap for his S15 drifting Nissan but think that has been bit of dissapointment in powerwise, other friend from here otherwise has been really happy with same engine in his 65 drag Valiant.

cbrestorations

I know the r5p7 has no low end grunt and needs a high rear gear. I still like the ls3 better but I think overall the r5p7 would have a better cool factor

Mike DC

QuoteI know the r5p7 has no low end grunt and needs a high rear gear.

Makes sense.  It's a circle-track smallblock.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 27, 2016, 07:56:04 PM
I know the r5p7 has no low end grunt and needs a high rear gear. I still like the ls3 better but I think overall the r5p7 would have a better cool factor

Can't you just cam it to bring torque curve down?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cbrestorations

They have a short throw on the crankshaft to sustain 9,000rpm for hrs on end of racing plus there is a 360ci rule in nascar. So bigger plunger and shorter stroke is the better option. I think its only like 3.25-3.30 depending on what track it was built for. The same guy also has a stroked aluminum r5 engine to 410ci that makes 900hp but it's 15:1 compression.

Mike DC

I imagine you could stroke the hell out of that motor with a new rotating assy.  Like way over 400 inches.  

You probably don't want to yank apart a complete & powerful motor that you just bought.  But it would make a good future plan.  

JB400

If it was me, I'd leave the motor alone and just put a quick change rear end under the car.

cbrestorations

I just wanna drive it already...I've gotta get it mocked up and on the ground. The producers for the show welderup wanna do a little skit with daisy and my parts. They are coming on dec. 2nd. Maybe I can get a rat muscle reality show lol jk

cbrestorations

Quote from: JB400 on November 27, 2016, 10:27:04 PM
If it was me, I'd leave the motor alone and just put a quick change rear end under the car.
That's actually a good idea for road trips then swap gears at the track

Mikko

R5 stroker parts were quite pricey if i recall...

We haven´t find proper power figures for those, some found online in engine dyno and then pulls starting from 4-5000rpm so i didn´t have any idea as its low end capapility earlier. Guess main reason for those just high end figures shown that those use normally solid advance distributor.

My friends Nissan were run in wheel dyno and it did have suprisingly good low end torque, but was lacking quite much on high end and power figures dont rise much after 75000rpm alltought it spins high. But that engine is modified quite much and i dont know exactly what cam is running now. And it uses E85 as fuel. Race fuel is banned if our drifting series here so no 105 oct and that cannot be run in pump gas evev in stock form.