News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sending unit wire question

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, April 09, 2006, 02:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Silly question, where does the sending unit wire go through the trunk floor out to the unit it self?

In the process of making my filler neck seal "right"....right now its going through the filler neck seal :icon_smile_dead:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris,

On my car, there are rubber plugs on that flat "shelf" in front of the spare tire / area the top of the tire rests on.  My wire goes down through one of those plugs in the center of the plug.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Brian, I do see those plugs and the one on the pass side of the car IS missing......the wire does have a plug on it as well......its too short to reach that side.....maybe the drivers side

Any pics?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking at these 2 pics it seems like the wire goes through the floor in the middle of the floor to the right of the spart tire hold down.....

Looking at the first pic, follow the wire to the right of the pic...it goes under the spare tire hold down....

The next pic shows it going into the middle of the floor.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

squeakfinder

I replaced my trunk floor but there was a flat spot to cut the hole for the wire to go threw. So I was able to put he hole in the write spot but I'm not sure if the way I have wire routed across the floor is correct.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Just 6T9 CHGR

That is the spot I see in my trunk floor as well......its a repro as well.......time to get the hole saw out!

By any chance do you have a pic of the filler neck where the vent tube goes through as well?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

squeakfinder

I still don't have my vent tube installed. I thought I knew where it went threw but I'm drawing a blank. I know it dumps write into the framerail. I was thinking it was that raised rectangular spot by the filler tube opening. Yep, with warmer weather coming I think I need to get that figured out to. I'm allready starting to smell gas fumes in the cab of the car.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have this pic from a 68....Im assuming a 69 is the same.....

They all have 2 plugs in the floor....one blank and the other for the vent tube...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

From Rotsparts pic posting, my wire does not run that way.  Guess another thing that is wrong with my charger.  Easily enough fixed though. :rotz:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

If it functions correctly, leave it alone.

Im only doing mine because mine has been rigged for too long.....  while I have it apart I might as well do it right the first time.........one only knows how many times I've done things wrong the 1st through the 3rd or 4th times :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

The vent pipe drops inside the rail member underneath the floor. Makesure you don't hole saw through the rail wall!!!!! Take good measurements and take your time! Seal the edge of the hole with some epoxy paint or something - that's what my autobody guy said to do and will do on mine. Rust will start in the edge and travel! :yesnod:

Diameter of the vent hole? anyone? ???
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

Here is my vent tube and filler neck.  I just installed the sending unit wire this weekend but, believe it or not, did not get a pic.  It does go through the centre of the floor, as mentioned above.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I just finished up mine as well.

Like I said before my filler tube seal was duct taped to the floor :-\  just one of those things I took a short cut on when I first got the car.....

Peeled the tape back and found an original seal in a decent shape.....with the exception of the missing retainer....Ill be dammed if Im going to take out the tan again to change the seal  :flame:

Made a template from aluminum foil and traced & cut out a piece of 22ga steel....painted it and viola......instant retainer.

Drilled the holes for the sending unit wire & the vent tube grommet as well.

All is right with the world again ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

Chris, since you have a repop trunk, did you drill out the other vent holes?  As anal as you are, that's prollya dumb question.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

4402tuff4u

I was going to, but my body guy who painted the Charger talked me out of it. He said any opening like that will promote rust to travel between the layers of coating he put on the car. Made sense to me and I did not.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on May 15, 2006, 03:18:34 PM
I was going to, but my body guy who painted the Charger talked me out of it. He said any opening like that will promote rust to travel between the layers of coating he put on the car. Made sense to me and I did not.

Really...hmmm.  I'll ask my guy what he thinks.  Mine's been poorly patched in the center so I just want to replace the whole thing.  Another winter project.  I planned on cutting mine out so it didn't look like a repop.  I definitely need to do something, he didn't put the vent tube back in and I have no such thing as a fuel gauge reading so it's all coming out. :icon_smile_angry:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 472 RT/SE aka AllBlueRT on May 15, 2006, 02:46:35 PM
Chris, since you have a repop trunk, did you drill out the other vent holes? As anal as you are, that's prollya dumb question. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Anal, yes....drill holes in trunk....no

I felt the same way as Mike did :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar_nut_440_6

Does anybody have a measurement for the diameter of the hole for the vent tube for the fuel filler pipe and a measurement for placement? I just looked in my car and it appears that the approximate placement will drop this into the frame rail. I am assuming that it should drop out on the side of the frame rail. Would it drop out on the iside of the rail or the outside of the rail?

Sorry guys I did not take the car apart and have no lines here at the moment but want to drill all of my holes prior to paint.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

I just checked my 70's vent...it's a 3/4 hole dead center of the frame rail welds, so it's center of the inside of the frame. The center of the hole, front to back, is 1 1/4 forward from the back straight part of the fuel tube opening.  :yesnod:

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: b5blue on April 18, 2009, 06:44:04 PM
I just checked my 70's vent...it's a 3/4 hole dead center of the frame rail welds, so it's center of the inside of the frame. The center of the hole, front to back, is 1 1/4 forward from the back straight part of the fuel tube opening.  :yesnod:

Thank you B5!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

gasoline_24

There is no need to drop the tank to replace the fuel neck.  All you have to do is rotate it about 180 degrees and it will pull up through the top.  I thought that the tank had to be removed as well, but after reading the FSM it states to install fuel neck after tank is installed.