News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Brake

Started by q8charger, January 22, 2016, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

q8charger

Hello ,

Time to  change from drums break to the Disc Brake for  4 Wheel , so what is the best and fit for  1969 charger 440 magnum ?

hemi71x

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121771.0.html

You could use factory parts, from other Mopar disc brake cars, or go aftermarket, but that's personal preference.
I have this, in the above link, for your consideration.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

CARiD

It depends on how much do you want to spend and what do you expect from new brakes. Some basic conversion kit like SSBC will slightly improve the stopping performance. It usually comes with all needed components to do the conversion, but if you want a higher level performance brakes I would definitely recommend to take a look at some kits by BAER and Wilwood. Check them out here if you are still looking.

Keep in mind that performance brakes usually have larger rotors and calipers that may not fit behind all rims. I don't know what wheels do you have on your charger, but you might need to swap them if you choose this route.

Mike DC

The wheel size is crucial.  (The front wheel is the bottleneck; the rear brakes can always been somewhat less powerful on any car.)  The bigger the wheel size, the bigger the rotor you can fit under it, the better the stopping.  

14" wheels: Virtually no support for this.  The factory offered a front disc option originally which might be your only bet here.  

15" wheels:  Lots of disc kits here.  Most guys use a combo that is either partially or entirely based on the factory's 1970s/80s front discs, using discs in the ballpark of 12" diameter.

If you want to go up from 15" wheels the brake industry doesn't make it worth your while until you get to 17".  There are a few different 13" rotor setups that fit under 17" rims.  

Bigger wheels are also desirable because you get more tire options.  The smaller wheel you go, the fewer the tire options these days.  15" tire selections are getting frustrating lately.  The tire options for 14" wheels are mostly geared to the stock-resto-type crowd.  

myk

Quote from: CARiD on January 31, 2016, 09:52:08 AM
It depends on how much do you want to spend and what do you expect from new brakes. Some basic conversion kit like SSBC will slightly improve the stopping performance. It usually comes with all needed components to do the conversion, but if you want a higher level performance brakes I would definitely recommend to take a look at some kits by BAER and Wilwood. Check them out here if you are still looking.

Keep in mind that performance brakes usually have larger rotors and calipers that may not fit behind all rims. I don't know what wheels do you have on your charger, but you might need to swap them if you choose this route.

My wallet shudders in fear whenever CARid is around.  Why are the rear disc brakes in the Baer SS4 kit larger than the front ones? 

John_Kunkel

If I was gonna start from scratch and go 4-wheel discs I'd go with Doc Diff.

http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/complete-kits/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brass

Dr. Diff's Stage 2 kit comes with single-piston calipers and a 11.75" rotor.  Baer offers a 4 piston kit with 11" rotors.  Which is better; more pistons or a larger rotor?

myk

Four pistons; because of more consistent, even clamping force on the rotor...

Brass

Quote from: myk on February 01, 2016, 07:01:23 PM
Four pistons; because of more consistent, even clamping force on the rotor...

Granted.  On the other hand, a larger rotor offers more surface area for the clamping force to be applied.  The conventional wisdom has been to always go with the largest rotor you can fit.  So it seems there are competing theories here.  Also, is a 4 piston setup really that much better - or is it overkill to justify twice the cost?  Especially when the difference in braking ability might be mitigated by the larger rotor.

myk

I would think for most applications the cost isn't worth it.  The typical car doing the cruises and show & shines won't notice a difference either way.   But, for wanna-be track stars like me it might help?  I dunno.  $1700 for the Baer T4 kit is a lot of coin just for front brakes..

On that note I have a question for you guys:  bigger, better discs up front first, or convert to discs on the rear?  I can only afford to do one at a time...

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on February 01, 2016, 11:02:55 PM
I would think for most applications the cost isn't worth it.  The typical car doing the cruises and show & shines won't notice a difference either way.   But, for wanna-be track stars like me it might help?  I dunno.  $1700 for the Baer T4 kit is a lot of coin just for front brakes..

On that note I have a question for you guys:  bigger, better discs up front first, or convert to discs on the rear?  I can only afford to do one at a time...

Even though the rears only apply a small percentage (25-30%) of the total braking, drums to discs will be a improvement.  Maybe more than just bigger brakes up front. The bling of nice discs all around is something you may want to consider too.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

myk

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 02, 2016, 09:04:08 AM
Quote from: myk on February 01, 2016, 11:02:55 PM

Even though the rears only apply a small percentage (25-30%) of the total braking, drums to discs will be a improvement.  Maybe more than just bigger brakes up front. The bling of nice discs all around is something you may want to consider too.

Oh for sure, but again the heart exceeds the wallet.  I may only be able to do one or the other this year...

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that the Baer kits are for disc brake spindles, the OP has drum brakes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

303 Mopar

Quote from: q8charger on January 22, 2016, 03:18:31 PM
Time to  change from drums break to the Disc Brake for  4 Wheel , so what is the best and fit for  1969 charger 440 magnum ?

I would call Cass at Dr. Diff and tell him what your goals are.  Great guy and will not oversell you.  http://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

myk

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 02, 2016, 02:12:21 PM

Keep in mind that the Baer kits are for disc brake spindles, the OP has drum brakes.

Question: I didn't do the conversion myself, so how do I know which spindle I have?