News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oversized wheels illegal?

Started by JB400, January 19, 2016, 01:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

wow ,he's really getting it all in before the end isn't he     :rotz:  we have to have an engineers report for oversize wheels .just carry a copy in the glove box

I'm surprised he's had time for anything now the rabid koala is in town   :rofl: 

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

myk

The end of America marches forth!

1974dodgecharger

Been saying this for YEARS....we need the 12s back you ever see a guy with 12inch rims go over 65mph?  Didn't think so....

phantom

This has been reality for maaany years here in Norway. Only way we are allowed ANY modifications on our cars, is by having it inspected at the Norwegian equivalent of your DMV.

Bigger/wider wheels can be allowed only after the inspector testdrives the car, and find that the wheels do not rub at any action taken, and that the wheels come with a "TUV"-document as tested by an independent laboratory to match the car.
That way they carry no responsibility if something happens in traffic.

Same goes for lowering springs/coilovers.

And we can forget about having roots-blowers sticking out the hood, as it can be potentially dangerous to pedestrinans. Adding more power to your car? Nope. If a '68 Charger is delivered from factory with a maximum of 425hp, thats what you can drive with. I asked for 465hp for my current build, mine is originally a 383 4bbl. "Sorry, we see that the biggest hp your model came with is a HEMI with 425hp, you cannot exceed that".

Sucks to live here sometimes.

tan top

Quote from: JB400 on January 19, 2016, 01:11:01 AM
http://www.racefactor.org/uncategorized/pending-congress-bill-to-make-over-sized-rims-illegal-is-set-in-motion

I hope it's just a rumor, and not factual.

not supprised really !  when you have cars like this  , I know every one to their own & those guys prolly love their cars as much as we do   , but come on !  wheels this big , its not a good look  :Twocents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7BmYy_Silk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhy-DbmLjY
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

Don't worry, the current mindset of America and it's rulers is to make the United States just as lacking in liberty as the rest of the world; we'll be one and the same soon...

6spd68

Quote from: phantom on January 19, 2016, 06:42:55 AM
Adding more power to your car? Nope. If a '68 Charger is delivered from factory with a maximum of 425hp, thats what you can drive with. I asked for 465hp for my current build, mine is originally a 383 4bbl. "Sorry, we see that the biggest hp your model came with is a HEMI with 425hp, you cannot exceed that".

There's gotta be a way around that though?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Mike DC

SEMA needs to fund some research on whether it's the oversize wheels causing more of the wrecks, or the kinds of people who buy them.  

We could make the roads 90% safer by getting rid of the worst 10% of the drivers.

If that doesn't work, then SEMA should make a few Congressmen try driving a 1960s muscle car on the stock 14x6 wheels & bias-ply tires.  That would get us an exemption to the stock wheel law in 5 minutes.  

RallyeMike

Worse than a +79.9% better change of being in an accident due to large rims, ....100% of people who breath air die! When is congress going to do something about the air!  They need to dedicate their time to real causes! :flame:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Baldwinvette77

will this affect older cars? i don't remember about reading dodges maximum wheel recommendation for their 1968 models.... well anyway im in canada  :scratchchin:

Troy

First of all... who wrote this? Sounds like a lot of name dropping and no substance. For instance, there isn't a federal "Department of Motor Vehicles". I can't find anything on any official government site that even mentions the possibility of this law.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Another law that we don't need. It will have to be enforced by the individual states (and, in most cases, counties and cities). Most states already have laws in place to handle "unsafe" modifications to vehicles. So why does the federal government need to be involved? Anyone remember those stupid automatic seat belt assemblies that cost a ton of money to install? Gone. Because there wasn't any noticeable improvement (and probably because the saturation of airbags in every available space). If it's real, it's a "feel good" move that will likely backfire horribly.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

phantom

Quote from: 6spd68 on January 19, 2016, 09:14:38 AM
Quote from: phantom on January 19, 2016, 06:42:55 AM
Adding more power to your car? Nope. If a '68 Charger is delivered from factory with a maximum of 425hp, thats what you can drive with. I asked for 465hp for my current build, mine is originally a 383 4bbl. "Sorry, we see that the biggest hp your model came with is a HEMI with 425hp, you cannot exceed that".

There's gotta be a way around that though?

Some manage to talk their way into getting more power legally in their car, but in general the DMV sticks to the manufacturers recommendations. Its a disclaimers thing.   

JB400

From what I've read from a quick search, I think it has more to do with the trend called hellaflush.  It's the cars that are slammed to the ground and have negative camber exaggerated.   I've also found out that most of this is in Canada, but there are several cities in the US banning these as well as the Donk cars.  Maybe this bill is to target the donk cars, but an officer could misread the law and interpret pro touring cars as well.

6spd68

Quote from: phantom on January 19, 2016, 01:59:15 PM
Some manage to talk their way into getting more power legally in their car, but in general the DMV sticks to the manufacturers recommendations. Its a disclaimers thing.   

But if you build the engine after buying, keep it stock looking; who is to say it has more power?  Are they gonna bring it in and dyno it?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

jaak

The local Walmart here (which I never buy tires at Walmart), will not sell you a set unless they are the size that came on the vehicle. A friend of mine wanted 245 instead of 235/70/17s on his truck, and they wouldn't sell them to him. So he went to a tire dealer and got the size he wanted. I'm guessing Walmart is afraid of lawsuits or something.

Jason

JB400

They'll sell you the tires, and mount them on the rims, but you'd have to install the wheels yourself.

Mike DC

QuoteThe local Walmart here (which I never buy tires at Walmart), will not sell you a set unless they are the size that came on the vehicle. A friend of mine wanted 245 instead of 235/70/17s on his truck, and they wouldn't sell them to him. So he went to a tire dealer and got the size he wanted. I'm guessing Walmart is afraid of lawsuits or something.

Walmart doesn't respect the govt enough to do anything voluntarily.  They must be worried about lawsuits.  

QuoteFirst of all... who wrote this? Sounds like a lot of name dropping and no substance. For instance, there isn't a federal "Department of Motor Vehicles". I can't find anything on any official government site that even mentions the possibility of this law.

Yeah, I thought it smelled like BS too.  But I was giving it the benefit of my laziness the doubt.

QuoteAnother law that we don't need. It will have to be enforced by the individual states (and, in most cases, counties and cities). Most states already have laws in place to handle "unsafe" modifications to vehicles. So why does the federal government need to be involved? Anyone remember those stupid automatic seat belt assemblies that cost a ton of money to install? Gone. Because there wasn't any noticeable improvement (and probably because the saturation of airbags in every available space). If it's real, it's a "feel good" move that will likely backfire horribly.

It creates another legal excuse for the authorities to single out the lower social classes & minorities for extra punishment.  That's reason enough to get a law passed.  

jaak

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 19, 2016, 05:39:15 PM

Walmart doesn't respect the govt enough to do anything voluntarily.  They must be worried about lawsuits.  

Didn't mean to insinuate that there was laws saying Walmart had to do this, just saying they was... probably worrying about legal issues.

Troy

Walmart also will not install used tires or tires older than 2 years. I bought a new set of wheels and just wanted to take the tires off the old wheels and mount them on the new ones and they said they weren't allowed. I'm sure this is a liability issue but it's annoying.

Many years ago I was trying to buy oversized tires at a tire store for a car and I was told something similar as above. They would only mount a tire equivalent to a "plus 1" (about 15% larger overall). Since I was going wider - but not taller - I had to do the math (long form) on the counter to prove I wasn't going to get them in trouble. If I had just carried the wheels in without mentioning the car they were going on they'd have mounted them without any questions - but then I'd have been carrying them home as I only had one car!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

when we had damaged cars come into our shop and had to have an insurance adjuster come out to look at the cars for a claim, the first thing they did was to look at what tire was on the car and then go to the door sticker to compare what it said there..if the sizes did not match, the entire claim was denied right then and there....

there was no "gray area" here, it either matched or not...if not, then the car owner was shit-outta-luck with any claim to his car

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: A383Wing on January 19, 2016, 10:17:58 PM
when we had damaged cars come into our shop and had to have an insurance adjuster come out to look at the cars for a claim, the first thing they did was to look at what tire was on the car and then go to the door sticker to compare what it said there..if the sizes did not match, the entire claim was denied right then and there....

there was no "gray area" here, it either matched or not...if not, then the car owner was shit-outta-luck with any claim to his car

wow, that's a new one.....kinda crazy I would take that one to court if it was based on who to blame...I don't care if I had 30inch rims on my car and some drunk dude ran a stop and hit me or ran light etc.....the 30inch rims didn't cause the accident the other person did.....

I would say theres more to it than the adjuster checking the rims size....Im sure that insurance company got sued a lot if that was the case.....

Mike DC

If you trip & fall & break your leg, does your medical insurance guy make you prove that you were wearing the correct size of shoes before paying out?

If an auto insurance company is demanding proof of vehicle equipment for paying out, then their customers must be signing something agreeing to only drive stock vehicles ahead of time. 

phantom

Quote from: 6spd68 on January 19, 2016, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: phantom on January 19, 2016, 01:59:15 PM

But if you build the engine after buying, keep it stock looking; who is to say it has more power?  Are they gonna bring it in and dyno it?

Not likely, many people do this, and alot get away with it. But if they suspect the car for having more hp than stock, they can remove your plates, and demand you to get the car dyno'd to get the plates out again.

How's it in USA? Can you for instance swap your 383 for a 572 HEMI and get away with it? I've seen several dragrace-shows form the states, where they drive Super Stock-cars on the road to and from the events. Would never work in Norway  :lol:

polywideblock

sorry for getting off topic but its not just wheels ,motors .

you have no idea how many cars I've looked at online  without windscreen wipers ( not just not working none on the car at all    :eek2:) lights / indicators  that don't work , horns that don't work , speedo/instruments that don't work ,  inoperable E brake  etc. etc.   :brickwall:  seems you guys are allowed to drive  unsafe/ un- roadworthy  vehicles   on the road where the rest of the world isn't   :scratchchin:  how do you get away with it  ?    again sorry ,end of rant  :slap:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE