News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anything I should do to the car before sending it to get Body work and Paint?

Started by CDN72SE, January 18, 2016, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Well after 24 years of being off the road, this Saturday January 23rd my SE will hit the flat-bed and will be heading for body work and paint. Still can't believe the day has come.

As far as getting the car ready for the trip to the restoration shop any tips/ideas of what to do to the car in order to get it ready?

- the car has no front or rear suspension and sits on U.S. Car Tools Body Wheels.
- car has the hood, trunk, doors, fenders (have attached the fender supports) and front & rear valances attached.
- battery tray, hood support and have used all the correct nuts and bolts throughout the car (I think)

Thanks Alan
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70181.0.html

Early 90's

2000's

2015:

1972 Charger SE

Mytur Binsdirti

My advice; Make sure you have a top notch body shop. All the work you do putting it back together won't mean squat if the body shop does a crappy job.

CDN72SE

They are within my budget, I have seen some of their work and to my eye it looks good. This is the one and only classic I will own so I want it nice, can't afford or need a show car but don't want it to look like it has been slapped together. It's been a challenge to find someone who has the time and won't charge me an arm and a leg.

Appreciate the advice.
1972 Charger SE

Alaskan_TA

Hang onto your fender tag until they are spraying paint, then get it back.

Body shops are notorious for losing them.

CDN72SE

I was in two minds about the tag Alaskan, think I will do what you suggest.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

70 sublime

Take some pictures of anything you may have left on the car to get painted ( clips, bolts ...)

So you can prove you had them on the car when it went and hopefully come back with
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

Mike DC

Yes, I was gonna say the same thing.  Take TONS of details pics documenting exactly how the car looked when the shop took possession of it.

Dino

Be at the shop a lot.  Not to be a pain but to be their buddy.  Compliment them on the good work they do (if they do that is).  Bring them beer and a pizza from time to time and your car will shine.  Working in a body shop is not all rosy so having a customer be good to them will have them return the favor.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

crj1968

I made the mistake once on a 70 Dart of just going over everything I wanted done with the body/paint guy verbally.

He was SO nice and cool.... I trusted him. When he was done I wanted to punch his face in. My Christianity held me back.  :icon_smile_big:

He basically just sprayed paint over all the dings, dents, scratches... and rust he said he would fix. It was the most absurd argument I've had in my life (besides ones with the wife)   ;D

Go over everything, get it ALL in writing !!  Good luck !   :2thumbs:

CDN72SE

Thanks Dino, surprising what beer and pizza will do that's for sure. I will definitely be dropping by to show my interest in what is going on and the progress.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: crj1968 on January 19, 2016, 12:13:19 PM
I made the mistake once on a 70 Dart of just going over everything I wanted done with the body/paint guy verbally.

He was SO nice and cool.... I trusted him. When he was done I wanted to punch his face in. My Christianity held me back.  :icon_smile_big:

He basically just sprayed paint over all the dings, dents, scratches... and rust he said he would fix. It was the most absurd argument I've had in my life (besides ones with the wife)   ;D

Go over everything, get it ALL in writing !!  Good luck !   :2thumbs:

I hear ya, so far things are looking good and the communication is there so you never know. I will be writing up the contract this Saturday so I will make sure to specify my expectations and make sure we are on the same page. I did have to stress a few times that I am currently interested in body work & paint and he was trying to sell me on a stroker motor, vinyl top installation and headliner installation. I may consider the latter two but I don't think a new engine is in the budget right now.
1972 Charger SE

crj1968

It definitely would be the right time to get the headliner and top done if you can swing it.   That's a cool looking car...What color you going with?

Troy

Quote from: Dino on January 18, 2016, 10:42:08 PM
Be at the shop a lot.  Not to be a pain but to be their buddy.  Compliment them on the good work they do (if they do that is).  Bring them beer and a pizza from time to time and your car will shine.  Working in a body shop is not all rosy so having a customer be good to them will have them return the favor.   :yesnod:
You'd think that just getting paid to do their job would be enough... ;)

But it is amazing how many people (sports stars for instance) won't really try to do their best unless there's something more than base pay involved - and that includes trying to impress someone they respect/admire. So I can see where a little extra incentive or a personal relationship would really improve the results. Everyone (including me) likes to know they're appreciated. I will certainly try harder for people who aren't jerks!

No matter, if a person has low standards for themselves they'll never meet someone else's high standards. Make sure you're expectations are in line with the guys doing the actual work.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Daytona R/T SE

Whatever they told you it was going to cost...

Plan on paying double that amount.

Whatever amount of time they told you...

Triple it.

viper r/t

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 19, 2016, 01:15:19 PM

Triple it.

Most honest answer yet!

CDN72SE

Quote from: Troy on January 19, 2016, 12:46:20 PM
Quote from: Dino on January 18, 2016, 10:42:08 PM
You'd think that just getting paid to do their job would be enough... ;)

But it is amazing how many people (sports stars for instance) won't really try to do their best unless there's something more than base pay involved - and that includes trying to impress someone they respect/admire. So I can see where a little extra incentive or a personal relationship would really improve the results. Everyone (including me) likes to know they're appreciated. I will certainly try harder for people who aren't jerks!

No matter, if a person has low standards for themselves they'll never meet someone else's high standards. Make sure you're expectations are in line with the guys doing the actual work.

Very well said Troy, couldn't agree more, really like your first and last sentences. :2thumbs:

Troy

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: crj1968 on January 19, 2016, 12:44:32 PM
It definitely would be the right time to get the headliner and top done if you can swing it.   That's a cool looking car...What color you going with?

Thanks crj, I think I may actually get them to do it, not telling them that yet. Though I have saved so many articles on how to do it yourself and seen others on this forum do it.
Think I've lived with the Y8 for long enough, kind of like Y9 but I think I will be going with 71 GB5, white interior and black vinyl roof.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: viper r/t on January 19, 2016, 02:42:00 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 19, 2016, 01:15:19 PM

Triple it.

Most honest answer yet!

Yeah and scary as well, but I know it can be a reality.  :o
1972 Charger SE

Dino

Getting paid to do the job should be enough, but it rarely is.  If you need to invest a few more bucks to get these guys on your side, resulting in better quality body work then that's something to consider.  It's stupid, it sucks, and you shouldn't have to do it.  People should do their job already, but that's just not how the world turns anymore.   

chargerbr549

Never ever tell the shop to "just take their time" because they will and usually your vehicle will get put on the back burner while they take in the gravy insurance jobs, I have had it happen to me and several of my car buddies, in fact right now a friend of mine has a 70 GTX going on 4 years now and it's still not done and he's had alot of empty promises telling him it would be, it was suppose to be done in less than a year. I like that you are putting it in writing so both parties know what to expect and when. I also like the advice on some beer and pizza once and while, hopefully you can have your car back in a reasonable amount of time.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

hemi-hampton

Quote from: chargerbr549 on January 19, 2016, 10:29:35 PM
Never ever tell the shop to "just take their time" because they will and usually your vehicle will get put on the back burner while they take in the gravy insurance jobs, I have had it happen to me and several of my car buddies, in fact right now a friend of mine has a 70 GTX going on 4 years now and it's still not done and he's had alot of empty promises telling him it would be, it was suppose to be done in less than a year. I like that you are putting it in writing so both parties know what to expect and when. I also like the advice on some beer and pizza once and while, hopefully you can have your car back in a reasonable amount of time.

Big mistake is to take it to a place that does newer insurance jobs. LEON.

CDN72SE

Quote from: Dino on January 19, 2016, 08:37:22 PM
Getting paid to do the job should be enough, but it rarely is.  If you need to invest a few more bucks to get these guys on your side, resulting in better quality body work then that's something to consider.  It's stupid, it sucks, and you shouldn't have to do it.  People should do their job already, but that's just not how the world turns anymore.   

I know it seems like people need more incentives and motivations these days. Sometimes though good old fashioned friendliness and taking time to listen and take an interest sometimes still works. Hope I don't sound to naive.
1972 Charger SE

Dino

I don't think you do.  A friendly word and a smile still gets the job done on many occassion.  That's why I recommended what I did.  The guys doing the work may see more negatives than positives where they work.   Having a customer come in and be nice to them may be just what they need.  You don't actually have to bring beer and pizza usually.   ;)