News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with a fuel leak at Carb

Started by Alan73Charger, January 16, 2016, 05:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

Continue to battle with starting the car, one time it fires right up and a few days later takes forever.  Starting fluid doesn't even help.  Today after trying for awhile to get it to fire up I noticed the intake had some puddles on the driver side.  I got everything dried up and operated the throttle a few times and saw the gas drip right away.  I can put my fingers down under the base gasket and they get soaked.  (Under the screw in the picture)  I've also linked a video to the drip.  I snugged the carb down to the gasket but the drip of gas isn't any less.  Looks like a Carter BBD type.  Has a rebuild sticker that says 14-126 quality remanufactured 3-12-14.  (Maybe not to much quality it seems)   Suggestions?  Rebuild it?  Maybe just a new base gasket?  Or a new carb?  (thinking around a 500 cfm)  I appreciate any suggestions from you guys.

http://vid1051.photobucket.com/albums/s431/cabsclassics/IMG_4342_zpszq1cu6ms.mp4

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

John_Kunkel

Could be the throttle shaft where it enters the carb body. Most rebuilders don't bush the throttle shaft bores when "rebuilding" a carb.

Does it do the same thing when the engine's running? Vacuum in the carb should stop the drip from occurring .
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 16, 2016, 05:32:10 PM

Could be the throttle shaft where it enters the carb body. Most rebuilders don't bush the throttle shaft bores when "rebuilding" a carb.

Does it do the same thing when the engine's running? Vacuum in the carb should stop the drip from occurring .

I haven't noticed any issues once I get it started.  I'll check if I get it started again.  May have to put some fuel down it or fill the bowl to get it to start.
It does seem to be dripping right below where that throttle shaft enters.  If that's what it is does it need taken apart to get corrected?
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!