News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen: decent economy exhaust system?

Started by b5blue, January 13, 2016, 05:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Any suggestions for a decent "economy" exhaust for my 70 (440) Charger? I've HP manifolds and need the car to run fairly quiet, about stock sounding. I'm comparing prices against using Accurate Exhaust System's as I'm pretty sure that would be ideal. (?)
  I'm using the car as a daily and work at a VHA hospital also hope to start making longer road trips so sound level and drone are big concerns. (Possibly use factory type muffs?) The old system is well over 20 years on the car, kinda rusty and never fit quite right so somethings due for this year.  :2thumbs:

BSB67

Based on your description, I would at least get a couple of quotes from local pipe benders.  2 1/2" head pipe w/ an H, a full body 2 1/4" standard muffler from the shop, and 2 1/4" tail pipes.  It will be very pleasant to drive and essentially a stock system.  If you want some rumble, change the muffler to a DynoMax 17747, and the system will get a littler louder.  It won't drone initially with the 17747 muffler, but it will after a little time.

When you put the new system on, you'll be surprised at how much snappier and quicker the car is.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Thanks, I thought about going that route, for my use I don't want any extra rumble.  :2thumbs:

Troy

The local exhaust shop that I have started to use will make any "header back dual exhaust" for $400. Does it look stock? No. Can you upgrade mufflers? Yes.

ECS and Accurate make systems that look amazingly stock - but if you're daily driving the car is that really a concern?

I have also read that the Summit premade exhaust fits well - BUT the context was small block with headers and I have no idea if the same holds true for any other combination. I have some of their tubing for an exhaust I made and it's pretty nice.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

b5blue

Thanks Troy, one thing I did like is A.E. uses heavy gauge pipe.  :scratchchin: For my car looks aren't a factor really.  :lol: I'll look into Summit next.  :2thumbs:

BSB67

Quote from: Troy on January 13, 2016, 11:10:53 AM
The local exhaust shop that I have started to use will make any "header back dual exhaust" for $400. Does it look stock? No. Can you upgrade mufflers? Yes.

It depends.  Original factory exhaust systems actually look like crap and not like Accurate system either.  I'm sure their bends are in the correct location, orientation and angle, though.   I suspect that Accurate is bending off the original "cards" which were available to muffler shops back in the day and some shops might still have.  Even without the cards, a seasoned bender can get it pretty close.  The last one I had done, the guy asked me if I " wanted that silly dimple to clear the torsion bar that only you Mopar nuts would care about"

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Troy

Quote from: BSB67 on January 13, 2016, 06:54:09 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 13, 2016, 11:10:53 AM

It depends.  Original factory exhaust systems actually look like crap and not like Accurate system either.  I'm sure their bends are in the correct location, orientation and angle, though.   I suspect that Accurate is bending off the original "cards" which were available to muffler shops back in the day and some shops might still have.  Even without the cards, a seasoned bender can get it pretty close.  The last one I had done, the guy asked me if I " wanted that silly dimple to clear the torsion bar that only you Mopar nuts would care about"
To be clear, these guys are full custom. They aren't looking at anything from the factory. It's basically "we'll bend up and install some pipes with mufflers from the header flange to the rear of the car in whatever way fits for a set price". I don't have a lot of use for factory parts (heck, none of my cars even had original exhaust when I got them). I haven't actually had them touch any of my old cars but they've custom built sections on three of my trucks (I like engine swaps).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chargerbr549

BSB67

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Yea....good feed back for sales. My 70 has the early HP manifolds so 68-69 for fit. Describes as stock like you outlined.  :2thumbs: (Cross pipe.) I'll still get feedback from local guys I'm not in a hurry right now, just looking ahead.  :scratchchin:

ODZKing

If you want stock, I ordered a system from Waldron Exhaust this summer. They use the original cards to cut your system to fit. It went on amazingly with little problems, just some adjustment here and there.  I even ordered the "stock" muffler for my 73 and it sounds great.  They were HALF the price with shopping and all the clamps and hangars minus the tips as Accurate and I am VERY pleased.   :2thumbs:
waldron@waldronexhaust.com  ask for Ruth ... http://waldronexhaust.com/
Primary Phone: (800) 503-9428 (Work)
Other Phone: (269) 467-7185 (Work)
Other Phone: (269) 467-9041 (Fax)
PO Box 99\, 208 West Main St, Centreville, MI 49032

b5blue

Thanks! 14ga. pipes is good news.  :2thumbs: For me it comes to 665.00 shipped. (No clamps.)  :scratchchin: Bookmarked that one, 6-8 week backlog is not an issue ether.  :scratchchin: After 15 years working in steel framing construction I know the difference gauge can make for the long run. 

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

oldcarnut

Quote from: ODZKing on January 14, 2016, 08:40:57 AM
If you want stock, I ordered a system from Waldron Exhaust this summer. They use the original cards to cut your system to fit. It went on amazingly with little problems, just some adjustment here and there.  I even ordered the "stock" muffler for my 73 and it sounds great.  They were HALF the price with shopping and all the clamps and hangars minus the tips as Accurate and I am VERY pleased.   :2thumbs:
waldron@waldronexhaust.com  ask for Ruth ... http://waldronexhaust.com/
Primary Phone: (800) 503-9428 (Work)
Other Phone: (269) 467-7185 (Work)
Other Phone: (269) 467-9041 (Fax)
PO Box 99\, 208 West Main St, Centreville, MI 49032

I think the local guy I gave you the number for makes them for Waldron too.  Waldron did my Firebird Exhaust as well.  The older guy was pretty nice to deal with.

ODZKing

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 18, 2016, 08:32:15 PM

I think the local guy I gave you the number for makes them for Waldron too.  Waldron did my Firebird Exhaust as well.  The older guy was pretty nice to deal with.

'Preciate it OCN but I couldn't make that work.
A good portion of business these days I believe is customer service. I went with Waldron because after 3 tries and no return phone calls from that place, I gave up and called Waldron direct.
Dealt with Ruth, very knowledgeable and answers emails right away. Very pleased.

oldcarnut

Ooh I understand.   I hate to drive there most times because they get so busy and can be seem like forever waiting on the counter or on the phone.  Sorry to hear ya didnt get results.  But on the other hand they got a stock pile of old parts you can't find anywhere else when I need one.   

jaak

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 14, 2016, 05:53:59 PM
Quote from: b5blue on January 14, 2016, 06:36:22 AM
Thanks guys! I found this?:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-CHARGER-ROADRUNNER-CORONET-EXHAUST-ALUMINIZED-WITH-440-ENGINES-/381518144768

The Exhaust on my White 68 R/T is from him . I am totally happy with it.

This is the same exhaust I used on my car also. I am happy with it, too. It came with turbo style mufflers, It was very quiet. After a couple years of use, I changed the mufflers, I have Summit Racing's knock off flowmasters on there now.

b5blue