News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch questions/suggestions

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, January 18, 2016, 03:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Hi everyone,

The 440 rebuild is almost done! I got the short block assembled yesterday (also, the first motor I've built by myself!) I'm using a 10.5 flywheel that has been balanced with my entire rotating assembly. This is not a huge power 440, so the 10.5 will be fine. I will be using the lakewood scattershield bellhousing for big blocks, firstly because it's good insurance, and secondly because I found one locally for a very good price. I know this will alter my clutch linkage stuff slightly, but nothing I'm not prepared to work around. Now for my questions. Will a stock style 10.5 clutch replacement be good for my car? Or should I go with something a little more aftermarket like a McLeod street clutch? Here are my thoughts, and I would love to hear your opinions. This is a 9:1 440 with a street Edelbrock intake, and the smaller of the summit racing cams for RB, going in front of your run of the mill A833 w overdrive. I want a clutch that is A: reliable! and B: Doesn't require a massive amount of pedal pressure. This is going to be a road trip car, and my fiancee will also be driving the car, so I don't want a racing clutch where the pedal effort is crazy, and the engagement goes from 0 to a million on a hair trigger. Please let me know what you guys think. Has anyone used the Exedy, Sachs, or LuK stock replacement pieces? How are they? Thanks again. --> Ian

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 73-Charger-Canada on January 18, 2016, 03:46:15 PM
Hi everyone,

The 440 rebuild is almost done! I got the short block assembled yesterday (also, the first motor I've built by myself!) I'm using a 10.5 flywheel that has been balanced with my entire rotating assembly. This is not a huge power 440, so the 10.5 will be fine. I will be using the lakewood scattershield bellhousing for big blocks, firstly because it's good insurance, and secondly because I found one locally for a very good price. I know this will alter my clutch linkage stuff slightly, but nothing I'm not prepared to work around. Now for my questions. Will a stock style 10.5 clutch replacement be good for my car? Or should I go with something a little more aftermarket like a McLeod street clutch? Here are my thoughts, and I would love to hear your opinions. This is a 9:1 440 with a street Edelbrock intake, and the smaller of the summit racing cams for RB, going in front of your run of the mill A833 w overdrive. I want a clutch that is A: reliable! and B: Doesn't require a massive amount of pedal pressure. This is going to be a road trip car, and my fiancee will also be driving the car, so I don't want a racing clutch where the pedal effort is crazy, and the engagement goes from 0 to a million on a hair trigger. Please let me know what you guys think. Has anyone used the Exedy, Sachs, or LuK stock replacement pieces? How are they? Thanks again. --> Ian

Centerforce dual friction.