News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

resto batteries

Started by moparchris, December 30, 2015, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparchris

Just an FYI for everyone.  Just had the run around trying to get a resto-type red top battery for the C500.  After all the chasing I ordered one from Antique Auto Battery.  $280 plus shipping  :o  Their number is 800-426-7580.  I always ordered them through Summit Racing but they are having a hard time getting the group 27 size and they said it looked like no sooner than April for them to be able to get any more of the group 27's.  I also called Roseville Mopar and they said they stopped carrying the resto- batteries, they're too hard to get and to expensive for them to carry. If your's is on it's last leg I think you're gonna need to act now.

billssuperbird

Can the old battery be taken apart and used as a dummy case over a cheaper battery

hemigeno

The last 2 batteries I've purchased were from Fred Gilmore - but I read a Moparts thread from last spring when he said he doesn't have a source for them any longer - other than the aforementioned Antique Auto Battery versions.

Quote from: billssuperbird on December 30, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Can the old battery be taken apart and used as a dummy case over a cheaper battery

Yes - see this thread:  <<<LINKY>>>

ODZKing

Yes, Turbo Start aka Axion Power doesn't make them anymore.  Those were the AGM batteries.
I believe this place took them over and pretty much doubled the price!
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AGM-Sealed-Classic-Mopar-Batteries,43754.html
Here is a couple other places.
http://www.restorationbattery.com/
http://batterystoreonline.com/product/turbo-start-agm-battery-s27mr/
http://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/TurboStart_Script.html
I will tell you a quick story about Antique Auto Battery. First I don't believe they carry or make the AGM batteries.  Second, I purchased my first Classic battery from them at Carlisle (July).
After one winter in storage - and reading the instructions that clearly say "Do Not Use a Charger on this Battery" it was near dead. I called them in the spring, mind you it is supposed to be under warranty. They said "ship it to us and we will tell you if it is a defective battery".  REALLY!!!!!!?????? Let me be sure I have this correct, I ship it to you on MY dime and you'll tell me IF it is covered. Meanwhile I have no battery in my car.  Hmmm,    :rotz:  annnnnnnnnn - WRONG.
So I put a charger on it and drove it for several more years.  Needless to say, I will never purchase from them again.  I'll buy one of the fake covers for it first.
In fact I replaced it before last season and Turbo Start had just sold all their stock off to Summit, Mancini and the like.  I did end up getting one from Summit (free ship) but they were near the end of their stock.
Next round I'm sure will be a bit more pricey!

hemigeno

One of the battery manufacturers recommended not to use a trickle charger, but instead to throw a regular auto battery charger on it every couple of months for maintaining a full charge.  That's what I've done for the past 3-4 years, and it seems to have kept everything up nicely.

Of course now that I've said that, the next time I go to start the car I know exactly what'll happen...   :slap:

ODZKing

Mytur Binsdirti

While the repro batteries look good, I have found that they just don't last. And why they need special charging care that an off the shelf battery doesn't need is beyond me.

billssuperbird

I picked up a old battery for 35.00 I am going to try it :hack:

ODZKing

I think the AGM batteries are different. But day to day use is better than sitting, that is why off the shelf lasts longer I would think, yes?

birdsandbees

I have a dry charged script battery on the shelf that I hope I can bring to life with a charge and acid, that I've had since 1989 and a split in half (froze) one that I hope to gut, put an AGM in and glue back together with minimal visual effect for my 'Bird or 'Bee.

As for trickle chargers... no lead acid battery should be trickle charged or be left with a "maintainer" on it. It's just a recipe for early disaster. If you're not driving it, womp the hell out of the thing from time to time with the boost function of your charger for a minute or two.. and then get it boiling with the 10 or 15 amp function to get rid of the sulphate in the bottom of the cells and then top on the 2 amp setting.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Ghoste

Wasn't there something about the EPA changing some rules a year or so ago that would effectively put a serious hurt on anyone using lead in manufacturing?

ODZKing

As I mentioned in the other battery thread, I have the group 27 red cap battery home, not quite dead but won't start the car.
If someone wants it, come get it.  I live in Syracuse.
I don't want to toss it as I am sure the case is worth something to someone.

billssuperbird

My 35.00 battery with new battery acid did not take a or hold a charge. So it is time to  :hack: it open and make it a cover for a newer battery.  :pushup:

billssuperbird

Well I did it and it turned out just great. Thanks for all the help from just 6t9 Chgr.  :2thumbs:

ODZKing

Quote from: billssuperbird on January 15, 2016, 10:04:04 AM
Well I did it and it turned out just great. Thanks for all the help from just 6t9 Chgr.  :2thumbs:
Got any pics Bill?

rav440

Quote from: ODZKing on January 15, 2016, 01:41:18 PM
Quote from: billssuperbird on January 15, 2016, 10:04:04 AM
Well I did it and it turned out just great. Thanks for all the help from just 6t9 Chgr.  :2thumbs:
Got any pics Bill?

SuperBird BILLS BATTERY CASE mod

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

billssuperbird

Now find a battery that will fit in it upright.

ODZKing

How much of a mess was it to clean out?  :popcrn:

billssuperbird

Drill the bottom to drain the acid out then I used a jigsaw to cut the bottom and broke the bottom out. Then I Took out all the guts and grind the sides smooth

moparchris

Well, I finally received my battery from Antique Auto Batteries last night.  Got it in the car and went joy riding today.  Nice sunny 68 degree day.  Nice to have the battery, but it's probably the last one I will ever spend the coin on.  I kept an old dead one from years ago and will hog it out to make it a cover for a regular battery in the future.