News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spring Fling Speed Festival-Willow Springs track day-4/21/16 anyone here going?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, January 11, 2016, 04:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

Saw a thread over on Moparts about the Spring Fling Festival in Van Nuys, California having a track day at Willow Springs on April 21st 2 days before the car show. Bunch of Mopars on the track has to be an awesome sight! I'm thinking about signing up but need to make sure I can get time off work for it. Anyone on this site going or have been to the previous events? Would be cool to get a bunch of chargers together on the track and for the cruise on Friday.   

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1942709/spring-fling-speed-festival-10-apr-21-2016-track-day.html#Post1942709

http://alltimeracing.com/spring-fling-speed-festival-x-april-21st-thursday-2016/

Also is the Spring Fling show any good? I've never been down to see it so I'm wondering if it is worth staying for?

:popcrn:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Kern Dog

I'd love to post more pictures but this site is still the worst I've seen for doing so.

VegasCharger

Clayton, Spring Fling is a good show. Biggest all MoPar show west of the Mississippi River. I'll be there in the swap area. They also have a cruise in at a near by Bob's Big Boy.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Lennard on January 11, 2016, 06:06:11 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121035.0.html

Crap! I looked in the Event section but never thought it would be in the Aero section. Oh well, hopefully this will get some standard charger guys to join up as well.  :cheers:

Quote from: VegasCharger on January 11, 2016, 11:14:47 PM
Clayton, Spring Fling is a good show. Biggest all MoPar show west of the Mississippi River. I'll be there in the swap area. They also have a cruise in at a near by Bob's Big Boy.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Bryan, I heard it was a big show but didn't think it was the biggest on the west coast. I like the idea of a track day, cruise, and big show all in a row.  :2thumbs:  I'm going to see what I can do to make it there.

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 11, 2016, 09:19:26 PM
I'd love to post more pictures but this site is still the worst I've seen for doing so.

Come on, its not that bad. I just use Paint and name it something totally random, as long as its under 200kb it always posts up.

Have you been to the track day before?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

I can make it if I know how to register and whats the plans?

I got it...im gonna do the willow springs thing since that's a buck list of mine..... :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

In 2015 I was there for the first time. The wife and I drove our 1700 mile Challenger to L.A. for the track day, Malibu Cruise, The Picture car Warehouse shindig on Friday night, the car show both days and the Cruise night on Saturday.

Regarding pictures, I have done exactly what you suggested many times. It is just redundant and stupid to have to rename a picture every time I want to post it.

Troy

Man, it would sure be nice if someone had made a "Linking to an existing DC.com picture" thread! And it would be super cool if it were stickied somewhere. Wow, if only...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lennard

Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2016, 01:21:25 PM
Man, it would sure be nice if someone had made a "Linking to an existing DC.com picture" thread! And it would be super cool if it were stickied somewhere. Wow, if only...

Troy

Sarcasm detector,  that's a real good invention.  ;D

1974dodgecharger

cbrestorations

lennard are we gonna have our rat muscle chargers there to play with?

Lennard

Quote from: cbrestorations on January 20, 2016, 01:43:12 AM
lennard are we gonna have our rat muscle chargers there to play with?
That might be a little bit too ambitious considering mine has been sitting in pieces for over 10 years now.  :icon_smile_big:

cbrestorations

I just ordered the roller cam for my 440, heads are being ported with 2.14 valves, got a 3.91 sure grip, super comp tri-y headers, need to find an a518 trans for it now. Get on it man start making ur wallet lighter or use the extra junk in ur garage

Lennard

I have most of the parts needed. Time to work on it is a different story... ;)

Kern Dog

I have been nervous about taking my car on the course! I was there last year with the 2015 Challenger and felt little to no anxiety. Maybe that is because most new cars are pretty predictable in regards to their handling. They all seem to have a slight to moderate understeer trait, making them pretty safe to run hard even with a novice driver.
The Charger though....
The weight is about the same between my 70 and the new Challenger. The Charger has smaller brakes, bigger tires, about 100 more HP and is MUCH harder to replace if I roll the damn thing.
See, THAT is where I get nervous. It is very tempting to drive the car at 10/10ths on a track, using the whole track, running WOT in the straights and all. It occurred to me a few weeks back that days like these do not have to be a competition. I'm not racing against anyone, right? This is just for fun. I can run the car at whatever speed I feel comfortable with and just have a good time!

cbrestorations

yep its all just for fun, your charger is much lighter than the new challengers...they are tanks, also the new camaro's and mustangs but the challenger tops them all because of its cast iron block. a big block, 4 speed dana 60 car leaving the dealership was 3800lbs and thats with a heavy brass radiator, cast iron exhaust manifolds,680lb engine, heavy flywheel, cast iron transmission, heavy cast iron brake system, extremely heavy rear end and a steel driveline. just replacing all that stuff with lighter aftermarket parts of today would esily shed 350lbs off the car and still have the big block

Troy

Quote from: cbrestorations on January 23, 2016, 03:01:17 AM
yep its all just for fun, your charger is much lighter than the new challengers...they are tanks, also the new camaro's and mustangs but the challenger tops them all because of its cast iron block. a big block, 4 speed dana 60 car leaving the dealership was 3800lbs and thats with a heavy brass radiator, cast iron exhaust manifolds,680lb engine, heavy flywheel, cast iron transmission, heavy cast iron brake system, extremely heavy rear end and a steel driveline. just replacing all that stuff with lighter aftermarket parts of today would esily shed 350lbs off the car and still have the big block
Just curious if you've weighed any of your Chargers? All the ones I've weighed have been heavier than advertised. Maybe they weighed them "empty"? I'll try to weigh my 1968 4-speed R/T when it's done because it will be almost completely stock. I can't imagine that it's near 3,800 pounds. My 70 Challenger 340's door sticker claims just over 3,200 pounds. Maybe they're like people and get heavier with age? Of course, advertised weight on my 2015 is something close to 4,400 pounds. Ugh!

I'd love to take most of mine to a track some day. I have no interest in drag racing. There are tracks close to me so I should really look into that. Going to Spring Fling would be a pricey and and logistically challenging ordeal. Plus I'll be traveling for work for part of it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Kern Dog

The 2015 Challenger R/T in 5.7L form is supposed to be approx 4100 lbs. My 70 Charger was 3700 before I finished the interior, the suspension and added the bigger wheels and tires. I'm sure the 70 is closing in on 4000 lbs today.

cbrestorations

eh, ude be suprised...you should get it on a truck scale. i bet its still under 3900

Kern Dog

Maybe. The sound deadener adds weight. 3x3 frame connectors, torque boxes, 3" exhaust system, 1.25 solid front sway bar, welded K member and gussets on the LCAs, BUT....aluminum heads, radiator, headers instead of manifolds.

Kern Dog

Sounds like YOU have all of us beat in terms of volume. I love hearing of all the cars you buy. I wish I could do that!