News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anything I should do to the car before sending it to get Body work and Paint?

Started by CDN72SE, January 18, 2016, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN72SE

Quote from: chargerbr549 on January 19, 2016, 10:29:35 PM
Never ever tell the shop to "just take their time" because they will and usually your vehicle will get put on the back burner while they take in the gravy insurance jobs, I have had it happen to me and several of my car buddies, in fact right now a friend of mine has a 70 GTX going on 4 years now and it's still not done and he's had alot of empty promises telling him it would be, it was suppose to be done in less than a year. I like that you are putting it in writing so both parties know what to expect and when. I also like the advice on some beer and pizza once and while, hopefully you can have your car back in a reasonable amount of time.

The first place I went to in town was highly recommended, but yes it was a collision shop and he said my car would probably spend at least a year in body shop jail. Their main bread and butter is insurance claims and usually does one or two classics in his spare time. At least he turned me away and didn't take my car and stick it in the corner of his shop. And I did say there was no rush, lol.

Four years wow that is a long time, sounds like it's in storage.
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Quote from: Patronus on January 19, 2016, 10:40:31 PM
Why not just spray it yourself?

I had almost turned to that option out of desperation. I can't do bodywork, weld or paint. Don't have the space either.
This was another subject that I collected a lot of information on. I should have learned to weld decades ago and maybe worked on the car slowly. It's been 20+ years now, I turn 50 in may and just want to get it done now. Been a rollercoaster ride, I think subconsciously the car is kind of a burden on my mind.
1972 Charger SE

crj1968

Quote from: CDN72SE on January 19, 2016, 07:03:50 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on January 19, 2016, 12:44:32 PM
It definitely would be the right time to get the headliner and top done if you can swing it.   That's a cool looking car...What color you going with?

Thanks crj, I think I may actually get them to do it, not telling them that yet. Though I have saved so many articles on how to do it yourself and seen others on this forum do it.
Think I've lived with the Y8 for long enough, kind of like Y9 but I think I will be going with 71 GB5, white interior and black vinyl roof.

Nice !  That will look great.  I hear you about wanting to just get things done, and how they weigh on your mind. In my job I have to get equipment up and running quickly (semiconductors).  So that transfers into my regular life where I just can't stand something sitting a long time not working.

Oh and by the way the customers that are reasonable, understanding of my time, and appreciate my work are ALWAYS are my first priority.   :2thumbs: 

comet_666

Strip the car yourself, remove every nut and bolt and clean , polish them, bag them and note exactly where they go. Take pics too.
if I had to do this again that is what I would do.

CDN72SE

Quote from: comet_666 on January 20, 2016, 11:54:09 AM
Strip the car yourself, remove every nut and bolt and clean , polish them, bag them and note exactly where they go. Take pics too.
if I had to do this again that is what I would do.

Yes, wish I had done that right from the beginning, I have stripped it, wish I had more pictures of which nuts and bolts were used where. I did manage to bag and label a lot of parts though.

1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

ACUDANUT

CDN72SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 20, 2016, 05:17:09 PM
Have them remove the SE plug on the quarter window too. :Twocents:

And ruin the beauty?  ;)

Tempting idea, but I've become so attached to the whole SE thing.
1972 Charger SE

mike69440

Sub frame, torque boxes and front inner fender reinforcements.

Just more road hugging weight!

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

Brass

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 19, 2016, 01:15:19 PM
Whatever they told you it was going to cost...

Plan on paying double that amount.

Whatever amount of time they told you...

Triple it.

Or agree on a fee-cap up front.  These things have a way of spiraling way out of control.  Insist on a fair, "not to exceed" amount before the work starts.  A professional shop should have a basis of knowledge for what is reasonable.  The onus should be on them to manage the costs so that they conform with the customer's expectations, without bilking every penny.

CDN72SE

Thanks for the advice Brass, now the shop did give me a ballpark figure of $10-$12 Canadian (approx. US$7-$8,500), site unseen (just pictures). So we will see how this changes when inspected in person.

- solid floors and trunk
- rust holes on Dutchman panel
- rust through on drivers side Rocker Panel.
- pin hole (probably bigger than can be seen) rust spots on both lower rear quarters behind the rear wheels.
- dent in passengers door
- dent in front of hood
- dents in quarter panels from objects in the trunk sliding around.

1972 Charger SE

70 sublime

Are you getting replacement panels for all those spots or are they just going to weld in metal where it needs it ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CDN72SE

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 21, 2016, 06:51:47 PM
Are you getting replacement panels for all those spots or are they just going to weld in metal where it needs it ??

We haven't discussed that yet, they may be able to get away with just patching, I'll ask though.
1972 Charger SE

70 sublime

Quote from: CDN72SE on January 22, 2016, 10:24:29 AM

We haven't discussed that yet, they may be able to get away with just patching, I'll ask though.

Make sure you have this written down which way it is to be fixed in the price they are giving you
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CDN72SE

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 22, 2016, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: CDN72SE on January 22, 2016, 10:24:29 AM

Make sure you have this written down which way it is to be fixed in the price they are giving you

Will do  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

CDN72SE

Thanks guys for all your input. :cheers:

Hit the road early Saturday morning.

Waiting patiently...

Safe and sound  :2thumbs:

Got the estimate in writing and Paul was saying that the car is very solid and in much better shape (originally from North Carolina) than he had imagined.
1972 Charger SE