News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This 68 needs someone to show it some love, maybe I can be the one.

Started by smithenhiven, January 11, 2016, 02:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithenhiven

Hello out there Charger Fans.

I was out for a drive the other day, and spotted something I don't see every day.  Sitting out back behind an auto body repair shop was this 1968 Dodge Charger.  My first thought was that it's probably a customer's car or something, and it's waiting to receive some work.  Regardless I had to at least inquire about it, so I went inside and asked a worker what was going on with the Charger. He said "it's the boss's friend's car, he's been storing it here, it's for sale if the offer is right".  I asked if I could take a closer look, he said sure.  I snapped the attached pictures with my cell phone.  The VIN says it's an XP 383 car, but the guy in the shop says it's now got a 440, and it ran when parked...  I left my number and urged them to have the owner call me.  I'm just hoping he doesn't want some crazy amount for it.  I'm thinking at first glance, it's about a $7,500 car, maybe more maybe less depending on what the under body looks like.  Just goes to show, "keep your eyes peeled, you never know what you might find".

CRW-FK5

Troy

The grill looks decent. That thing has been sitting there a while. No way I'd give $7,500 based on the surface rust I can see. If you can get under and inside it you'll have a better idea of what you're in for.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

skip68

I think you're looking at a big project.   $7,500?  I'm thinking that's high.  Looking at the rust visible I'd about guarantee it's got serious cancer cells all over.  How long has it been sitting unprotected?   Check out the floors, trunk and underneath.   Especially if it's a car from back east.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Great find though.    :cheers: 
Looks like it's been sitting so long the wheels are sunk into the ground.   Also looks like the rear is rusted bad.  Gotta see how bad it is before you talk money with the guy.   
I would get a number out of him if you can to see where his head is.   Whatever his number is, tell him you need to check out the car completely to see how bad the rust is.    :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Bronzedodge

:iagree:  Looks like a rear window seam rebuild in a big way.  Quarter cap for the left side maybe?  No way 7500.
Mopar forever!

smithenhiven

I guess the $7500 figure popped into my head just based upon some of the cars I've seen sell on ebay in similar conditions.  But yeah, I'm hoping he's realistic, and I can get the car for much less than that, maybe $5,000 or even less.  I asked them how long it's been sitting, they didn't know for sure but just said a couple years.  There is some collision damage on the drivers side quarter, pic attached.

I'm hoping to get a call from the owner this week, if not, I'm gonna go back down there and offer the shop owner a small fee to drag the car from behind his shop, and put it on a lift so I can see underneath.  I'm in PA, and the car has OH license plates on it, so this is an eastern car smack dab in the middle of the rust belt, so I'm assuming the worst.  I appreciate your guys' input on the car, I'm anxious and hesitant at the same time.  I've always wanted a Charger, but I don't want to get caught up with a project from hell.  

tan top

hello & welcome  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   , looks like its a faded  SS1 yellow , originally  maybe  , or white ....   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

good luck !! sorting the deal  , if that's what you really want   :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

charge69

Welcome to the forum, smithenhiven.  That Charger will cost major bucks to bring back to life! I don't care how cheap you get it, prepare to have major headaches and big bucks in the Charger just to get it up and running!

cdr

Quote from: charge69 on January 11, 2016, 08:05:59 PM
Welcome to the forum, smithenhiven.  That Charger will cost major bucks to bring back to life! I don't care how cheap you get it, prepare to have major headaches and big bucks in the Charger just to get it up and running!

:iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

crj1968

Very cool pics - I agree with the others having "been there" more than once. I'd guess you'd be looking at $15K min to get it going...that doesn't include decent paint and interior.
It's crazy how fast it can all add up.

I'd love to see you save it though !  !!

Homerr

Quote from: smithenhiven on January 11, 2016, 07:04:40 PM
...  I've always wanted a Charger, but I don't want to get caught up with a project from hell.  

Run for your life then!   :cheers:

Swilling

Looks awesome, top half looks nice and straight. You are right on maybe getting the guys to drag it out and take a look underneath. Still looks better than a lot of things ive seen people start with.

myk

Just don't get it.  If someone had just thrown a tarp on the car 10 years ago it might be that much better of a car now...

Troy

Quote from: myk on January 11, 2016, 09:58:50 PM
Just don't get it.  If someone had just thrown a tarp on the car 10 years ago it might be that much better of a car now...
No, not really. In that part of Ohio and Pennsylvania there's a lot of water and shade. Look at the mold growing on the car - and that's without a tarp! A tarp may have saved the rear window corners from rotting out (leaves and gunk collect right there and rust even the cleanest looking cars) but any moisture evaporating up from the ground would get trapped by the tarp. Plus it's the salt belt so it was likely rusted prior to parking. This is the last one I pulled from that area (I like the riveted patches):

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

340chargerrallye

I wouldn't go near that car for anything over $3000-$3500 max I had a near perfect 70 charger 500 with a 4 speed conversion and a new rebuilt 383 that ran and drove I only payed $10000 for it .needed 1/4 bottom s and that's it rust wise .take a word of advice save a bit more and start with a better car you will thank yourself in the end I used to buy the cheapest crap I could get then spent thousands to get it up to par when I could of just bought a better car to start with and had less aggravation. Anything is fixable but is it worth it to you yeah it's a cool car but prices arnt so bad right now just think about it before you buy it and make sure your really look it over good luck ether way I hope you get a good project car

cbrestorations

Quote from: 340chargerrallye on January 11, 2016, 10:46:06 PM
I wouldn't go near that car for anything over $3000-$3500 max I had a near perfect 70 charger 500 with a 4 speed conversion and a new rebuilt 383 that ran and drove I only payed $10000 for it .needed 1/4 bottom s and that's it rust wise .take a word of advice save a bit more and start with a better car you will thank yourself in the end I used to buy the cheapest crap I could get then spent thousands to get it up to par when I could of just bought a better car to start with and had less aggravation. Anything is fixable but is it worth it to you yeah it's a cool car but prices arnt so bad right now just think about it before you buy it and make sure your really look it over good luck ether way I hope you get a good project car

and how many years ago was this...

crj1968

I paid $10K for this 70 about three years ago.  Good running driving 440/ 727, disk brake upgrade...rough(ish) body and needed interior, but solid enough....it showed up on local CL and I showed up first.  

crj1968

skip68

I'd say that car is an exception.  A great deal but not the normal $10,000 Charger.   Normally you aren't going to find a running and driving 68-70 Charger for around the $10,000 mark.  Especially one that's had a 440 and 4spd installed.  You got a rare deal on that.   
:2thumbs:

crj1968

It was a screaming deal...BUT to get the body work completed and a "decent" paint job I was looking at $8K. It had Honda seats or something in it, so getting a decent interior, headliner, seats, carpet ($2500?  Then it needed an 8.75 and a sure grip of course....

Anyway that's just an example (as we all know) of how fast it can add up even if you get a good deal to begin with.  Pretty sure it's for sale now in San Fransisco....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5383552195.html

A tad steep!
Pretty funny reading that add. The 440 was in it when I bought it....   ::) 
Still has my awesome stripe I painted on it.  :icon_smile_big:

smithenhiven

So, almost a year later, I finally get the scoop on this car.  I never did actually hear from the "owner", and I'm not even sure if there is one.

I was driving by that part of town again the other day, so I figured I'd swing by that shop to see if the Charger was still there.  Sure enough it was, in the same exact spot as before, if not a little deeper into the ground.  It's sad to know this car is just sitting there rotting away, becoming one with the earth again.

I went into the shop, reintroduced myself, said I was the guy who stopped about a year ago inquiring about purchasing it.  Dude says "I wouldn't remember you, we get people stopping in asking about that car all the time".  I go on to say "well if that's the case, surely someone would have bought it by now, why does it continue to sit there?"

He then explains that the owner is in the military, and is never around to return any of the messages that any one leaves regarding the car.  He says that the owner wants $10K, and that price is firm.  For some unknown reason they are under the impression that the car is rare, making claims that it originally had a slant 6 from the factory.  I explained that's impossible, as the VIN clearly shows a G for a 383, a slant six would be "B".  Regardless, I figured what harm could it be to inquire with the owner directly, to see if maybe some sense could be talked into him.  So I asked for his phone number.  "Nope, we don't give out his number, best we can do is take yours again and have him call you".  I chuckled and said "maybe I'll just stop in again next year and see how much deeper it's sank into it's grave". 

Oh well, I guess this one is destined to be a road side relic.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Homerr on January 11, 2016, 08:30:32 PM
Quote from: smithenhiven on January 11, 2016, 07:04:40 PM
...  I've always wanted a Charger, but I don't want to get caught up with a project from hell.  

Run for your life then!   :cheers:

Best advice so far on this thread.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: smithenhiven on December 20, 2016, 06:56:20 PM
So, almost a year later, I finally get the scoop on this car.  I never did actually hear from the "owner", and I'm not even sure if there is one.

I was driving by that part of town again the other day, so I figured I'd swing by that shop to see if the Charger was still there.  Sure enough it was, in the same exact spot as before, if not a little deeper into the ground.  It's sad to know this car is just sitting there rotting away, becoming one with the earth again.

I went into the shop, reintroduced myself, said I was the guy who stopped about a year ago inquiring about purchasing it.  Dude says "I wouldn't remember you, we get people stopping in asking about that car all the time".  I go on to say "well if that's the case, surely someone would have bought it by now, why does it continue to sit there?"

He then explains that the owner is in the military, and is never around to return any of the messages that any one leaves regarding the car.  He says that the owner wants $10K, and that price is firm.  For some unknown reason they are under the impression that the car is rare, making claims that it originally had a slant 6 from the factory.  I explained that's impossible, as the VIN clearly shows a G for a 383, a slant six would be "B".  Regardless, I figured what harm could it be to inquire with the owner directly, to see if maybe some sense could be talked into him.  So I asked for his phone number.  "Nope, we don't give out his number, best we can do is take yours again and have him call you".  I chuckled and said "maybe I'll just stop in again next year and see how much deeper it's sank into it's grave". 

Oh well, I guess this one is destined to be a road side relic.

Thanks for the update. At least you tried to save it. Who knows how many more years it'll just sit there.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

paironines

Ive seen summertime pics of that car on the web in the past. Its been there a loooong time.

smithenhiven

Here's the VIN, in case the car ever shows up on ebay as "fresh out of the barn",....maybe a prospective buyer searching the VIN will find this thread showing proof it has sat outside for years.

XP29G8B379131

billssuperbird

smithenhiven

Kern Dog

smithenhiven

Yeah, apparently there was a lot of Beaver in my neck of the woods when they were naming the place, lol.

charger01

Those are 96-2001 licence plates for Ohio, ran when parked, but been sitting many years.