News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Glass Window Seals - 2nd Gen Charger

Started by CRW-FK5, January 11, 2016, 08:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRW-FK5

I am looking to replace the quarter glass window seals (vertical piece attached to rear frame on front window), but in researching old threads (circa 2012) it seems that the quality of the reproduction pieces are not that great.  I do see them for sale on places like Classic Industries but it's impossible to tell quality from the pictures.  Does anyone know if there are true factory like reproductions out there and where I can buy them?

Charger-Bodie

There a decent repops. The main problem is that there is a little cap glued to the top of each, it's known to fall off.

The other is to make sure you order the flocked version.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

CRW-FK5

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 11, 2016, 08:21:42 AM
There a decent repops. The main problem is that there is a little cap glued to the top of each, it's known to fall off.

The other is to make sure you order the flocked version.
Thanks.  Do you happen to know who has the decent ones?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69bfan

There are basically two different options.  The first being the application made by Soft Seal which carries the part number CH2022.  As stated above the small finishing piece that closes off the top of the exposed end has a tendency of breaking loose where it is bonded onto the main body of the assembly.  The other option is  made by Metro Rubber and carries the part number VS 7-E/FL.  The actual finish of this part is slightly nicer in appearance but is approximately twice the price of the Soft Seal piece.  I would say that 90% of my customers will purchase the Soft Seal piece base on the price as both pieces will basically perform in a satisfactory manner and the last NOS pieces I saw traded at $300 for the pair.  So all of your major vendors will either stock one of the two varieties. 
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

CRW-FK5

Thanks 69bfan.  I just now read your email.  I ended up going with the CH2022 P/N through Classic Ind. after verifying with them that the exposed edge had the "fuzzy" surface like originals (which it did).  Got the parts a few days ago and already installed one without any problems.  I saw that they came with the top piece glued on (as you referenced) and hope is stays on.  The piece fit into the channel very well and I am pleased with the look.  Obviously, I can't compare it to the more expensive version, but I'm sure they're nice as well.  Thanks for your detailed information.

69bfan

Your welcome.  It seems like the small finishing piece either adheres very well or very poorly with no in between.  If you see them separating at the top, place a small dab of 3M weatherstrip adhesive just under finishing piece.  It acts to both adhere the two pieces and most importantly keeps the larger flocked piece from folding over and breaking the bond loose.  I have sold hundreds of the Soft Seal applications and have had good luck with them for the 70 and earlier A and B-Bodies.  If doing an E-Body or a 71 and up B-Body, then use the Metro pieces.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com