News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding of the White House 1949-1952

Started by chargerman69, February 09, 2016, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman69

Lighthorseman

..."When Harry Truman became president in 1945, he inherited a creaking White House that had not been seriously renovated since 1902, and structurally since it was rebuilt from a fire in 1817"...

A prize to whomever can say what the cause of that fire was....  (I suspect Drache will get it)

JB400

A mock Congress held by the enemy.  A hurricane hit just as it happened.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Dodge Don on February 10, 2016, 06:55:30 AM
It was burned down by Canadian troops.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/today-we-celebrate-the-time-canada-burned-down-the-white-house-127844144/?no-ist

Ahh, the growing pains of a young country. Glad it's behind us & both sides kissed & made up. :cheers:

OP, that's a cool link, thanks for posting this! :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Dodge Don on February 10, 2016, 06:55:30 AM
It was burned down by Canadian troops.

This prompted me to brush up on my history from this era. Yes, I forgot much of this, since school. :-\
According to THIS, it was the British. You guys weren't "Canadians" for another 50-ish years. :nana:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mytur Binsdirti

Mytur Binsdirti

In all seriousness; you would never know it was gutted to the outside walls today.  Must have cost a fortune to restore all of the rooms, fixtures and antiques.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 11, 2016, 03:57:51 PM
Must have cost a fortune to restore all of the rooms, fixtures and antiques.

Not to mention the small fortunes (our tax money) spent by every incoming administration to remodel it to their tastes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 11, 2016, 04:48:47 PM
Here's a planned remodel for 2017!
Haha! :lol:

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 11, 2016, 05:12:03 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 11, 2016, 03:57:51 PM
Must have cost a fortune to restore all of the rooms, fixtures and antiques.

Not to mention the small fortunes (our tax money) spent by every incoming administration to remodel it to their tastes.
That's for sure.  :flush: