News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found this in my axle housing

Started by Voss, November 30, 2015, 05:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

I am currently installing new 3.23 gears and bearings in my 742 axle. Pulled the third member and cleaned up the axle housing. Found a metallic part in the bottom of the housing, looks like a broken piece from a bearing. I cut the cage on the diff bearings and the pinion bearings but the piece in the picture is not from any of these bearings. Could be something left in there from a previous rebuild since I know for sure it has been apart before.

I did not plan to rebuild my Sure-Grip diff, but after finding this broken off piece I for sure will take it apart and examine it carefully.

Any ideas on what this piece could be? Considering the rounded edge I don't think it is from a bad bearing but I am not sure of this.

six-tee-nine

Kinda makes me think of a dowel pin?

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

b5blue

justcruisin

That looks like part of the pin that locates the spider gear shaft to the casing of the gear housing.

John_Kunkel

What's the diameter? Does it have a hole down the middle?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Voss

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 30, 2015, 05:28:57 PM
What's the diameter? Does it have a hole down the middle?

Hi,

It does not have a hole or indent in the middle. The end has a kind of rounded head. The diameter of the pin is about 5mm (13/64 inch). Haven't measured the exact dimension, will do that tonight.

SRT-440

I had a thrust button in my axel housing..was driving down the road and the rear started making a awful loud squeel/grinding like sound..took it apart and there it was. I guess when the previous owner switched to green bearing he didn't remove atleast one of them..never found the other. Went ahead and took it all apart and had everything rebuilt.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

John_Kunkel

5MM is too small for a thrust button, more like a  dowel pin but from what?  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

white

Any update? Because I found the exact type of pin broken when I removed my center section yesterday.

flyinlow

Looks like a 9 1/4 axle bearing  roller that has been sheared in half.

A Shop had the 8 3/4 out and a roller from an 8 1/4, 9 1/4 or some GM axle bearing ended up in the 8 3/4 carrier, was not noticed and ended up in your rear axle.  :shruggy:  best I could come up with. I think they are bigger than 5mm.

Any damage to any gears in yours?

Voss

Quote from: flyinlow on January 29, 2016, 11:42:36 PM
Looks like a 9 1/4 axle bearing  roller that has been sheared in half.

A Shop had the 8 3/4 out and a roller from an 8 1/4, 9 1/4 or some GM axle bearing ended up in the 8 3/4 carrier, was not noticed and ended up in your rear axle.  :shruggy:  best I could come up with. I think they are bigger than 5mm.

Any damage to any gears in yours?

No damage to the gears, but certainly risky. I'm installing a set of 3.23 Nitro Gears in this rearend, but will keep the old ring and pinion for future projects.

ottawamerc

I'm with Flyinglow on this one, first thing I thought it might be is a sheared roller bearing.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!