News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do certain aftermarket parts increase value?

Started by Dreamcar, December 30, 2015, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

Most of us like car-related tv shows and other media, so we're often bombarded with advertising from big companies. Obviously, the bigger the company, the bigger the budget, the bigger the advertising, and often the perception of being the best stuff. Also, the bigger the name brand, the more an average car enthusiast will have heard about it.

Using my car as an example, I'm going to be keeping the numbers matching 383-4 and trans (probably), but since the suspension and brakes can be upgraded and changed back somewhat easily to stock if ever there's a desire to do so, I'm probably going to upgrade those aspects of the car.  

This got be to thinking...even though I have no plans to sell the car, does using certain brand-names increase the value over purely stock pieces? For example, using Hotchkiss components comes to mind when I think aftermarket suspension, and Baer or Wilwood comes to mind when I think aftermarket brakes. There are examples for every part type out there.

Obviously, if you have an original/rare RT, you're probably going to go mostly stock.

Just curious to see what some of you think.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

tan top

IMO ,  no its what the actual car is & how good or how well its been restored ,   :Twocents:   :popcrn:

only  part IMO you can ad to a car , that will increase the value , of the actual car  is a HEMI  , even if the car is rotted & or poorly restored  .  all the aftermarket suspension brakes & the like are just mearly bolt on stuff   anyone can add , even to rotted or poorly restored car etc , 

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

skip68

I think it depends on the car and condition of said car and the one buying it.   Obviously an aftermarket HEMI will always add value to any car but the smaller stuff is 50/50.   To me, if I was looking for a charger that was fast, sounds good and is performance built then I say it definitely adds value if the mods are what I'd like to have.  
It's kinda an individual case by case basis.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mike DC

Anything that isn't stock is worth the sum of its parts - at best. 

I love modified vehicles but it's not a profitable thing in general. 

426 Hemi conversions are a mild exception.  But even with using some aftermarket parts to make it work better it's still more like a factory option retrofit than a modification. 

Troy

Depends on the buyer. Someone looking for a stock/restored car will be deducting the cost of sourcing original parts from your selling price and giving you $0 for anything after market.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dreamcar

I guess I should include aftermarket vs aftermarket and whether certain brands have more value than others.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Bronzedodge

Quote from: Troy on December 30, 2015, 03:01:23 PM
Depends on the buyer. Someone looking for a stock/restored car will be deducting the cost of sourcing original parts from your selling price and giving you $0 for anything after market.

Troy

What Troy said.  I'll agree with Skip also.  The market changes as time passes.  Pro Street was the neatest thing in the 80's, it was new, never done before, more refined than a gasser, etc.  Now the age group that these cars appeal to most seem to have embraced Pro Touring.  Like the Big 3, comfy ride and good mpg with plenty of power, and vintage looks.
Mopar forever!

Ghoste

I've worked a LOT of classic car auctions for the last 17 years and with an extremely few exceptions, stock is the trump card over and over.

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Bronzedodge on December 30, 2015, 05:04:13 PM
Quote from: Troy on December 30, 2015, 03:01:23 PM

Troy

What Troy said.  I'll agree with Skip also.  The market changes as time passes.  Pro Street was the neatest thing in the 80's, it was new, never done before, more refined than a gasser, etc.  Now the age group that these cars appeal to most seem to have embraced Pro Touring.  Like the Big 3, comfy ride and good mpg with plenty of power, and vintage looks.

:iagree:

I would add that if it's a factory hi-po car, the more it deviates from stock, the more of a "hit" it takes when selling. 
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

cbrestorations

Take a base model 318 car, do a modern hemi, aftermarket suspension, aftermarket brakes, nice wheels and flashy paint, you just made good profit...

Troy

Quote from: Dreamcar on December 30, 2015, 03:22:26 PM
I guess I should include aftermarket vs aftermarket and whether certain brands have more value than others.
I (me personally, not necessarily the average Joe) would appreciate a Hotchkis suspension over otherwise random new parts. I'd take Baer brakes over Wilwood any day. I'd take a Holley or Proform carb over Edelbrock in most cases. Most of those options are more expensive to begin with (retail) so I'd expect to pay more for the car - but not what you paid for the parts.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 30, 2015, 05:41:33 PM
I've worked a LOT of classic car auctions for the last 17 years and with an extremely few exceptions, stock is the trump card over and over.

I'm with ghoste.......I find it funny a lot of guys chiming that don't even have after markets in their car.

Based on my end NO!!!!!!  I had folks look at npmy car say how much was your hotchkis  his setup? I say 3k or so.  They reply ok deduct 3k from that, your rims, your whole setup....etc....YOUR CAR IS WORTH 5k to me......and that's what plenty of people tell me.....my piece of crap is worth 5k when there is rust buckets out there worth more.

Challenger340

As mentioned, I think if it is a factory XS hi-perf numbers car ? then any changes just detract from resale value and best left alone ?
besides,
I think the heavier XS based S15 suspension cars do tend to handle slightly better than the XP 383/318 Cars anyways ?... not that they wouldn't benefit from newer technology suspension as well, just that things like body roll etc., are not as pronounced with the heavier Torsion Bars, heavier sway bars, etc.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BrianShaughnessy

If you're concerned about it's 'value'...   build it stock.   :Twocents:

If you're concerned about your driving pleasure...  build it the way you want.   :drive:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Lennard

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 01, 2016, 11:27:55 AM
If you're concerned about it's 'value'...   build it stock.   :Twocents:

If you're concerned about your driving pleasure...  build it the way you want.   :drive:
Agreed. I personally don't care what the value of my Charger is when I'm finally done with it. I'm building it to last till I die and for 100% driving pleasure.

verdelaw

Quote from: Lennard on January 01, 2016, 01:30:40 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 01, 2016, 11:27:55 AM
If you're concerned about it's 'value'...   build it stock.   :Twocents:

If you're concerned about your driving pleasure...  build it the way you want.   :drive:
Agreed. I personally don't care what the value of my Charger is when I'm finally done with it. I'm building it to last till I die and for 100% driving pleasure.

Agreed x 2.  That said, I find myself wishing a car had materialized when I was buying that had exactly what I wanted already done to it.  Fat chance of that though.

Everybody talks about using a 318 car to modify.  I have an R/T car, but with a non matching 440 and 727.  It was originally a 440 4-barrel 727 car.  GG1 green (yay!) with green vinyl top (ugh) and green interior.. bleh!  So I have no problem modifying the car however I see fit.

Anyway to answer the original question, if you had added the aftermarket parts I wanted, yes that would have increased value for me.. but what are the odds of that?  Most buyers want stock for better or worse.  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

QuoteBased on my end NO!!!!!!  I had folks look at npmy car say how much was your hotchkis  his setup? I say 3k or so.  They reply ok deduct 3k from that, your rims, your whole setup....etc....YOUR CAR IS WORTH 5k to me......and that's what plenty of people tell me.....my piece of crap is worth 5k when there is rust buckets out there worth more.

LOL.  No way those people even believed what they were telling you.  Either that or they don't know enough to be in the old car business.  

Next time say this:

"I've got a $20,000 stock 318 car at home.  I took the front bumper off & had it plated with $20,000 worth of gold.  So, I guess the whole car, gold bumper and all, is worth $0 now, huh?" 

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 02, 2016, 02:37:42 AM
QuoteBased on my end NO!!!!!!  I had folks look at npmy car say how much was your hotchkis  his setup? I say 3k or so.  They reply ok deduct 3k from that, your rims, your whole setup....etc....YOUR CAR IS WORTH 5k to me......and that's what plenty of people tell me.....my piece of crap is worth 5k when there is rust buckets out there worth more.

LOL.  No way those people even believed what they were telling you.  Either that or they don't know enough to be in the old car business.  

Next time say this:

"I've got a $20,000 stock 318 car at home.  I took the front bumper off & had it plated with $20,000 worth of gold.  So, I guess the whole car, gold bumper and all, is worth $0 now, huh?" 

lmao...I will use that one next time....that's why I don't go to car shows much, but I like to cruise in groups....when cruising you cant down talk people cars unless your pulling up next to em and trying to talk while driving  :rofl:

1974dodgecharger

In the end folks build the car you want it unless your a flipper then...well go flip yourself  :icon_smile_big:

Lord Warlock

If worried about resale, stock is king.  aftermarket parts rarely if ever bring anything back at time of sale, and they often decrease the value of the car overall.  About the only way to see any payback on aftermarket parts is to sell each aftermarket part separately away from the car, then you may recoup some of their costs.  My charger has a few small bolt on aftermarket parts on it, mostly in engine bay, but the exterior is stock looking except wheels which are 17 inch with radial tires.

I say this as I currently contemplate spending 8k on a bolt on part for my daily driver car.  I expect nothing extra out of the car after its installed, other than the fact that it will be a Mr Norm's modified car when finished.  It will hold its value slightly longer than other cars built at the same time with similar mileage.

I will say that resale value doesn't count for much during the main part of ownership when you aren't considering selling, but change dramatically when you get older and realize you will have to sell the car soon, then a lot of thought goes into resale value.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.