News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 steering column power or manual

Started by thorock, November 16, 2015, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorock

I am trying to put my car back together. I have a manual gear box and a power gear box. I have no idea which column I have. I was given  the car all torn apart. What are the size differences between the power and manual steering columns? My car is a 68 rt  4 speed. My fender tag only tells me 440 no ac. There is no build sheet. The car came with 3 different crank pulleys as well so I cant tell that way either. 2 4 grooved pulleys and one 2 grooved pulley.
thanks
Chris

Hard Charger

the power steering column is shorter than the manual.

a while back I pictured the 2 side by side to show the difference.. power steering and a manual steering column side by side.

the difference is in the center rod. its like 4" vs 8" long.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: thorock on November 16, 2015, 10:29:40 PM
I am trying to put my car back together. I have a manual gear box and a power gear box. I have no idea which column I have. I was given  the car all torn apart. What are the size differences between the power and manual steering columns? My car is a 68 rt  4 speed. My fender tag only tells me 440 no ac. There is no build sheet. The car came with 3 different crank pulleys as well so I cant tell that way either. 2 4 grooved pulleys and one 2 grooved pulley.
thanks
Chris

If the  K  frame is in the car put the  manual box in place (easiest) with a couple bolts and feed the steering column into place. If the column reaches the input shaft you will know . If there is a 4 or so inch space between the column and the box it  will be for power steering. If you want a manual box and you have a power column there is a spacer-adapter sold for the conversion.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

q8charger

so what is the better power steering gear or a manual steering gear ?