News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some advice my vehicle, randomly tries to start

Started by WH23G3G, December 28, 2015, 02:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I know it's not my Charger but it's my 99 Dakota R/T I got back in July. I don't drive it much, just weekends. It needs a little to be perfect. It's got a 190,000 miles I recently changed the ignition lock cylinder because you could remove the key while driving. It seemed to be doing fine, cranks up and shuts off normally, runs good. However, I was made aware over the Holiday that my truck sitting in the driveway at random times will try and crank itself. It does it a different times but it never fires up, just tries to crank. It doesn't have a remote start and I'm not sure if it ever did but it didn't from the factory. I looked under the column and on the side panels and didn't see any security box I did see some ignition switch wires that have all been wrapped up in electrical tape like something was removed. I've tried posting on the Dakota forum and just wanted to see what ideas come up here. I was told maybe a bad starter relay in the underhood fuse panel so I put in a new one and it hasn't done it. But I've only been here at home straight for about 4 hours and it didn't do it that whole time. I'm not sure how often it tried to crank. The starter looks to be fairly new. Only things I've done since buying it is the ignition lock cylinder, purge solenoid, add a replacement muffler, hub bearing, and full front end rebuild. I did replace all the light bulbs on the instrument panel. What could be causing such a crazy symptom?

b5blue

Firstly you need a battery disconnect ASAP! Random cranking could be an electrical fire next.  :o My Bro's Caddy had critters chewing on wiring where it wasn't seen.  :eek2: So in your truck R/T may be Rat/Trap! I'd have opened up whatever that tape was you saw and get a factory ignition switch or take that one back?  :scratchchin:

Dino

It's not starting because the ignition switch is still in the off position, but somehow the relay is being bridged and that's pretty bad.  Yeah disconnect the battery and check all the wiring.  There's a short somewhere so hopefully it was just the relay itself.  That or your truck is haunted. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

polywideblock

have you tried standing in front of it and saying "show me"    ;D              (Christine)

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

WH23G3G

I did replace the relay and have been sitting at home all day. I haven't heard attempt to start the whole time. I just don't know how often it tried. I don't know why it would just randomly try when no one has even touched the truck for a week. I do know that it has been raining a lot here. Maybe it lead to something shorting out. There is no water leaks inside. Today I also referred to my multi-meter instruction booklet on how to test the starter relay. The old one was putting out 79 ohms and so was the new one. It did have a notation stating that the relay could still be bad if the contacts inside have welded themselves stuck shut. So I don't know about that. I also checked the wires coming out of the switch with the key out. There were two wires a red wire and a pink/blk wire that put out between 5-6 volts with the key out engine off. I jiggled the key switch and the numbers didn't change. I then started the truck and the two were more steadily on 6 volts. Then I shut it off and checked again and came up with the same volts. The wiring diagrams I have from the factory service manual are quite a bit harder to follow than the ones from my 65 Plymouth or 73 Charger. The pink/blk wire seems to go to the starter relay in the power distribution box. I cannot find the red wire in the wiring diagrams. So I'm not sure how to read them. Does that sound right that there should be two wires with 5-6 volts with the key out?

b5blue

If the switch has a loose contact inside or something else going on it could trigger cranking.  :o 

Dino

What about the wires at the starter motor themselves?  Could they be bridging?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WH23G3G

Well I see the starter it appears that it has been replaced recently maybe by the previous owner. I was going to remove it because I have install the transmission dust shield since whoever replaced the transmission decided to leave it off. While I had the starter off I was going to replace the positive cable because someone of course has replaced the battery terminal end. They are clean and have no corrosion present. I at least replaced both terminals when I got the truck until I can find oem battery cables. Is there a way to verify the starter is causing it or do I just have to replace it? The truck has 190,000 miles on it so I imagine that ignition switch is the original one too. I only replaced the key cylinder. Is there anything else I can check before I start buying these parts? 

AKcharger

WHAT!! car just trying to start itself!!that's scary! :o

myk

Maybe it's a Transformer?  I don't think I've heard of this sort of problem...

flyinlow

Move the wiring harness around and see if you can get it to crank the starter. Near the starter relay and the large wires going to the starter itself.  look for worn or damaged insulation that is energizing the starter relay or starter solenoid when it should not. I think the '99 still has a starter relay, my son has a 2000 I will try to check his.

If you remove the wire that grounds the relay to the neutral/ park switch the relay will think the trans. is in gear and will not engage. This would eliminate all wiring from the lock cylinder to the relay. If it still cranks in this condition it would be wiring from the starter relay to the starter or the starter itself.

If you cannot find the problem , I would install a push button starter switch [like old cars had]  to prevent damage to the starter/flywheel/possible fire.    :Twocents:

WH23G3G

I replaced starter relay on the 26th and it hasn't done it. I was going to wait a few more days and reinstall the old relay and stay around the truck to see if it does it with the old relay. I just ordered an oem positive cable to starter.

crj1968

I remember my friends 70 bronco cranking the starter on it's own and ran right into my other friends 68 Chevelle. He was looking for someone to choke in the bronco and there was no one there.

It was the starter relay in that case. IIRC

WH23G3G

I wouldn't think that would happen on something that old as a Bronco. But it's been 6 days after replacing the starter relay on my R/T in the PDC box under the hood and I haven't heard it attempt to start anymore. Hoping that's all it is. Now I'm having to take the entire dash out to change the heater core so hopefully no more surprises.

I had a 77 Ford that sort of cranked on its own out of the blue, I turned the key to on and it cranked. Surprised, I switched it off and back on which it cranked again and started. From then on no matter what position the key was in the starter was engaged. Turning the key off did nothing. I had to jump out and snuff the carb with a towel to kill the engine and pull the positive battery cable to kill the starter.

I replaced the starter, starter relay, and ignition switch and it has been fine ever since.

myk