News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seeking info on Petty Blue Bird, Washington Illinois, John Bearce, Jim Baker

Started by Arnie Cunningham, December 25, 2015, 01:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

I played around with the resolution a bit to see if anything more could be determined.  If you scanned the photos at a high dpi you may be able to play around with them and pull out some more details.  The emailed photos I have are pretty small files.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

rainbow4jd

Brennan,

At face value the options match (presuming its a 4 speed and I bet MOMMA would know - that's something you aren't likely to forget)

As described from the photo - all the following match.

Corporate Blue 999
White Bucket Interior
440-4V
4-speed (presumed based on MIL's comments)
15" Rallyes  -- note:  In the photo it has 14"s because I have the 15"s sand blasted with NOS trim rings for my Concours Restoration (now in progress)
Clear Side Glass
No Passenger Mirror
Radio

It was pretty rough when I got it - but the miles were very low - that NORMALLY would indicate it saw some northern winters.

heller426

Literally got chills when I read my email and the last few posts on here today. This is the closest we have ever got to finding that bird. I wish I could find the vin# somewhere to verify it. We are trying to contact two other people that my FIL used to run around with back then, they all three had birds and see if they have any more info on it or photos. Rainbow4jd, I don't know about the mileage, could of been pretty low, MIL says they had it maybe 2 or 3 years and traded it in. As for pictures the 2 posted on here are the only ones I have of it.

nascarxx29

Heller you might also find vin on old registrations insurance cards glove box related p ap erwork from warrantys papers.Hope this car is it
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Arnie Cunningham

Does J99501 have any other unusual options such as 6 way seat, dealer installed AC, trunk light group, three speaker dash, 8 track or am fm?  Something that might make it stand out?  The steering wheel looks like standard black - not a rim blow or wood grain.

Also, if you don't mind releasing the VIN, the State DOTs may be able to trace that.

Another thing I see is no front license plate.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on December 31, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
Does J99501 have any other unusual options such as 6 way seat, dealer installed AC, trunk light group, three speaker dash, 8 track or am fm?  Something that might make it stand out?  The steering wheel looks like standard black - not a rim blow or wood grain.

Also, if you don't mind releasing the VIN, the State DOTs may be able to trace that.

Another thing I see is no front license plate.

Nothing unusual that I'm aware of.    

The only thing MIGHT be...  

The headliner was missing when I bought the car but there was a small remnant of white material    For that reason I INCORRECTLY put white headliner material in - not knowing at the time that all Burds were black headliner.  IF for some reason they accidentally put a white liner ???      But that's speculative on my part    I think it was probably just a piece of the liner padding. 

RM23U0A  158628

You had listed it in an earlier post on the probables.

Hope to hear from the Heller fellow    I sent an email ( I think)

nascarxx29

A guy I knew from Lexington KY had superbirds think he might have had a petty blue.Anyone remember Benny Lyons

rainbow4jd

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 31, 2015, 05:58:33 PM
A guy I knew from Lexington KY had superbirds think he might have had a petty blue.Anyone remember Benny Lyons

Yeah - we know/knew Benny

I lived in Lexington most of my life, so anyone in and around the area - I probably crossed paths with at some point.

My good friend (restoration supervisor) is Bryan Skanes - son of the late Ed Skanes and Vintage Trans-Am racing.   They had a hemi daytona and 440 Superbird in their collection at one time.   They also restored the Dan Gurney AAR Cuda and the Sam Posey Challenger (both of them)    They have the Petty Kit Car Challenger for sale now and have a Petty Kit car Aspen up next in the cue

rainbow4jd

Quote from: heller426 on December 30, 2015, 04:07:49 PM
Literally got chills when I read my email and the last few posts on here today. This is the closest we have ever got to finding that bird. I wish I could find the vin# somewhere to verify it. We are trying to contact two other people that my FIL used to run around with back then, they all three had birds and see if they have any more info on it or photos. Rainbow4jd, I don't know about the mileage, could of been pretty low, MIL says they had it maybe 2 or 3 years and traded it in. As for pictures the 2 posted on here are the only ones I have of it.

At some point - I need to come your way and chat with MIL!   I want to know WHAT prompted them to buy the car, was it a daily driver or Sunday cruiser, things like that!

I'm probably as excited as you are about the possibilities

Are you near Chicago at all?

heller426

Happy New Year Rainbow4jd! I am 2 hours south of Chicago a little town called El Paso. From what my MIL tells me it was the only car they had at the time. FIL worked in Roanoke Illinois witch is about 8 to 10 miles from Secor Illinois were they lived. So it probably was a low mile car when he traded it in. Called state police yesterday but they could not find anything on my FIL, records purged after 10 years. But got a number to call to where they can pull micro film on all the old records! of course everybody's out of the office until Monday. So hoping they can find me a vin#. Could defiantly set up a meeting if you are ever in the area that would be cool. 

70Sbird

Quote from: heller426 on December 27, 2015, 07:32:49 AM
Hello all, I'm the guy looking for the petty blue bird. Nascarxx29 that is a good article on John Bearce I have never seen that. The other guy he mentions in the article Gary Uftring is the salesman that sold the superbird to my father in law. Arnie Cunningham, I agree with you to about the shadow of a column shift lever that's what I thought to. Talking to my mother in law about the car as she used to drive it, she swears she remembers having to shift it (4 speed), but I would think you would be able to see a shifter handle sticking up there as tall as they where. I don't know about her sometime Haha. Thanks for everybody's help on this. Rick

Hello Rick, and welcome to the site.
You will learn that the collective knowledge, networking and documentation that this group can produce is astounding.
I'm also a lifetime resident of the Peoria area (currently in Dunlap) and have a B5 Blue Superbird. I'm probably not much help though other than moral support. I don't remember seeing or even ever hearing of a Petty Blue Bird in the area.

I've read most of the posts here including Brennans forwarding of your initial request.
I just have a couple of questions and or comments. Did your dad buy this car used from John Bearce? Bearce was/is a Ford dealer in Washington IL and maybe sold it as a used car? I don't believe he ever sold Mopar products, but I was only 5 years old in 1970 so I may be mistaken.
Also, I saw you mentioned your FIL was Jim Baker. Is that the same Jim Baker of Baker Classic cars in East Peoria?
Happy New Year and I wish you luck on your quest!
:2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

rickroadrunner

My Superbird is VIN 158632. It is the one of 5 listed as 440-4, 4 speed, white bucket interior. Basically exactly the same as Rainbow4jd, 158628.
I don't have any prior history to 1979. It went to El Salvador from around 1980 to 1990. Went into storage in LA, 1990-2011, Australia 2011 to present.
The only thing I have is attached business card that fell out of the dash when I pulled the dash top. Whether this was from a prior owner, or maybe the owner at the time stayed there.
Could be a long shot, from east cost to west. The car was completely rust free, so may also eliminate the possibility of having lived in Illinois. Or maybe it went west early in its life. Good luck with the search!

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: rickroadrunner on January 02, 2016, 12:01:27 AM
My Superbird is VIN 158632. It is the one of 5 listed as 440-4, 4 speed, white bucket interior. Basically exactly the same as Rainbow4jd, 158628.
I don't have any prior history to 1979. It went to El Salvador from around 1980 to 1990. Went into storage in LA, 1990-2011, Australia 2011 to present.
The only thing I have is attached business card that fell out of the dash when I pulled the dash top. Whether this was from a prior owner, or maybe the owner at the time stayed there.
Could be a long shot, from east cost to west. The car was completely rust free, so may also eliminate the possibility of having lived in Illinois. Or maybe it went west early in its life. Good luck with the search!

Hello Rick,  On 8-21-1975 your bird was owned by a guy named Francisco R. Toledo.   Calif plate was 147 GHS      Notes say it had a lot of dents on car.   I have an address and Phone number for Francisco but it's literally from 40 years ago..   The car was in Pacoima CA.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

6bblgt

I have a vintage (1972?) list of 115 state of Illinois Chrysler Corp. dealerships - none are shown in Washington, IL nor with the name "Bearce" in the dealership's name.

it is by no means all-inclusive, but the Ford reference above made me look - any other ideas of the dealership name and/or location?

PettyMower

Looking through my ads from Illinois, this is the closest match I've found. It's from an area approximately an hour and a half away from Washington. All of my other ads were 2-hours or more away.

http://moparadsandoddities.blogspot.com/2016/01/plymouth-superbird-440-4-speed-il-1973.html

heller426

70Sbird, You are right this site is awesome! I never thought I would get such a big response to my post. Jim and Jack Baker were brothers and had a couple of businesses at the time, I guess they had a falling out and Jim went his own way. I think Jack still has Baker Classic Cars. The bird could of been used when he bought it from Bearce, that makes sense since it was a ford dealership, the two pics I have are dated April 1971 on the back. So if it was used whoever bought it new never kept it long. C5XDAYTONA, interesting information. Was this car confirmed as previously being owned by Jim Baker?

Arnie Cunningham

Just to clear up potential confusion - is Rick the first name of rickroadrunner AND Rick Heller? Heller426

heller426

My mistake, I think C5XDAYTONA's post was about rickroadrunners car, my name is Rick also.

6bblgt

there was a recent post somewhere (here or Moparts) that someone commented on a dealer demo Petty blue Superbird that his buddy (who's father owned a dealership) would occasionally drive to high school in WASHINGTON

now where did I read that  :brickwall:

rainbow4jd

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 03, 2016, 02:52:06 PM

there was a recent post somewhere (here or Moparts) that someone commented on a dealer demo Petty blue Superbird that his buddy (who's father owned a dealership) would occasionally drive to high school in WASHINGTON

now where did I read that  :brickwall:

Hmmm - I think the Bird that Rick Heller started this thread with - only had two daughters, no sons.   He's the son-in-law      So maybe the buddy was she-buddy?

nascarxx29

About 1979 recorded old wing car club account RM23UOA171684 show corporate blue blk interior buckets no console 4 speed owner Payson Crowell Richmond Virginia

6bblgt

I guess this is fallout from the too many Rick's ......

the now Australia Petty Blue Superbird appears to have a connection to WASHINGTON state (business card) - there was a recent post about a WASHINGTON dealer's son (not owner) taking a Petty Blue Superbird off the lot, driving it to high school
probably eliminating the Australia Petty Blue Superbird as being the car "heller426" is looking for

6bblgt

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 03, 2016, 04:31:50 PM
About 1979 recorded old wing car club account RM23U0A171684 show corporate blue blk interior buckets no console 4 speed owner Payson Crowell Richmond Virginia

that is "J99530"

RM23U0A158633 "J99506" (white bucket & 4-spd)
RM23U0A158634 "J99507" (white bucket & 4-spd)
RM23U0A158636 "J99509" (white bucket & 4-spd)
RM23U0A175692 "J99518" (white bucket & auto)

"nascarxx29" any old club accounts on any of these?  do any of these have early Illinois history? or what part of the country do they appear in?

nascarxx29

I did check corporate blue cars againist locations .So far nothing close

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: heller426 on January 03, 2016, 01:31:21 PM
My mistake, I think C5XDAYTONA's post was about rickroadrunners car, my name is Rick also.
Yes,   I was leaving richroadrunners info on the vin he posted.   
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.