News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flip Top Gas Tank Caps

Started by cincyboy, December 15, 2015, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cincyboy

Ok, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.  Flip top gas tank caps.  Some are plain and some say Fuel.   Can someone enlighten me on models or dates for the different tops?   

Ghoste

68 is plain and then for 69 and 70 they went with the one that says FUEL.

cincyboy

I suspected this but have seen 68's with this cap so I wasn't sure.  Thank you.

Ghoste

Just something they've added for some reason, probably they just liked the look or maybe they got a deal on one.

myk

Is the FUEL lettering supposed to be surrounded in black?

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on December 15, 2015, 01:11:28 PM
Is the FUEL lettering supposed to be surrounded in black?

Its supposed to be black but the paint never lasts very long. I switched to a 68 cap for the smooth look.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Lord Warlock

While on the topic, is the ring that fits below the cap, supposed to be chrome, stainless, or all one color, or is it supposed to have black paint on sunken ribs? My original didn't look like it had any black color on the ring itself, the replacement I got (with black ribs in ring) looks nicer, just not sure if its correct.  
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HeavyFuel

They had black paint between the ribs.

Mine had maybe 20% of the black paint remaining in the ribs after a good scrubbing during the restoration, although the paint in the outer ring held up pretty well.   I used a paint pen to re-apply the factory look.

Lord Warlock

That answers my question, I had got just the cap replaced previoiusly and then later decided the top looked better than the ring so got a new ring also. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.