News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are you worried who's going to buy our Chargers in the future?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, December 14, 2015, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Not getting any younger, but certainly not slowing down too much, I was wondering... Mostly because someone else I knew passed away the other day, and only in their 60s.

Anyways, who's going to buy these cars when we're older - even older than now? Does the next generation even care?

That said, I drove one Charger over the weekend and could have sold it 5 times to Sunday. But overall, what about yours, and others?  :popcrn:

What are your thoughts on this, and who's gonna buy our Chargers?  :shruggy:

1974dodgecharger

think we discussed this before....not worried who is gonna buy my car when im Dead  ;D

The excitement of old muscles will always be there over even the Hellcats out there.....imagaine eating a steak while 180mph yeah a lot of the folks do that its how stable the car is...all you need is press the gas....

now imagine driving a old muscle car you need to aware of everything....no slip ups.  :angel:

Mike musto said it best in this video about driving a old powerful muscle car:
https://youtu.be/DdeQ7iwf-_4

Ghoste

When you are too old to care about the car you will be too old to care who wants it. :shruggy:

Baldwinvette77

I'll gladly take care of your car 40 years in the future, no charge  :yesnod:

Alaskan_TA

Enjoy it all you can, while you can.

Once it is too late for that, you will not be able to care who buys it.

polywideblock

I'm leaving mine to my daughters  :yesnod:  

if they chose to sell them that will be their concern , I hope they keep them and hand down to my grandkids  :scratchchin: now I feel old  :rotz:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Dino

There will always be someone who wants this car more than anything.  And if I'm wrong I won't be able to care because I'll be dead.  Sometimes things just work out.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Ghoste on December 14, 2015, 09:50:03 PM
When you are too old to care about the car you will be too old to care who wants it. :shruggy:

I haven't thought of it that way  :scratchchin:

I am fortunate enough to own a gaggle of vehicles, all of them worth something, and some more than others. As an analogy though, I wish to be a fly on the wall after I'm gone just to see my other 1/2's reaction to figuring out the values of what I'd bought over the years, and may she never find out what I paid  :slap:

AKcharger

I'll sell mine within 10 years to finance a killer golfcart at the retirement home...but seriously in 15-20 years there are going to be THOUSANDS of muscle cars hitting the market and prices will plummet, law of supply and demand I'm afraid  :-\

charge69

I am not worried about it and have no plans to sell it right now but, I hope there is some real value there for my heirs as I doubt it will stay in the family for long after I am gone.  To my wife, it is just another old car that is a pain to keep running and looking nice.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ht4spd307

my theory is why save it for the next guy so thrash the crap out of it while you can

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ht4spd307 on December 14, 2015, 11:47:17 PM
my theory is why save it for the next guy so thrash the crap out of it while you can

trash mine daily who gives a crap  ;D

Scaregrabber

For over 40 years I have built/driven the cars I love with no care given to investment value. I'll probably kick within the next 20 years and my son (who is 22 years old now) will love to own and drive my current cars. So, I've got it covered quite nicely.
The guys that borrow money and hope their "investment" doesn't tank probably should get into a different "hobby".

Sheldon

ikbrown

Young Charger owner here to report that (at least some of) my generation does care about these cars and will continue to! I have a good group of friends my age (26) who own muscle MOPARS and will continue to own and restore them as long as we're able as well! :)

As 1974DodgeCharger said, the appeal of muscle cars will remain and transcends generations. There will always been an allure to the muscle cars from the 60s/early 70s (evidenced by Chargers being CONSTANTLY used in films) and I'm not worried about the next buyers of Chargers. Besides, I won't be selling mine until ... EVER!! You can't pry me away from my Charger. ha.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 14, 2015, 09:59:55 PM
Enjoy it all you can, while you can.

Once it is too late for that, you will not be able to care who buys it.

Good point here. I do wonder though who might end up with mine. I have no kids but one of my three nephews is shaping up to be a little gearhead!

Brock Lee

I don't care. One thing is for sure, just like each of us will eventually meet an end, so will each and every one of these cars. It may be well beyond our lifetimes, but it WILL happen.

MoParJW

I suppose a lot of Chargers and other muscle era cars will be shipped to Europe in the future... kids still seem to love them here  :shruggy:
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

73rallye440magnum

I'll buy them. Thrash them in the meantime. My only request is don't hack them!
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

myk

Quote from: MoParJW on December 15, 2015, 07:22:31 AM
I suppose a lot of Chargers and other muscle era cars will be shipped to Europe in the future... kids still seem to love them here  :shruggy:

Good point.  The rest of the world is behind when it comes to savoring these types of relics; maybe world peace will ensue when every other world leader gets to turn the keys to their very own big block Mopar...

Dreamcar

I'm only 35 and have always loved older muscle cars. My 18 year old neighbor is always rushing over when I'm working on it, so I can tell he loves them too. It'll be 3-4 years before I can even drive mine because the resto is ongoing. But this thread makes me wonder: 

In 30-35 years or so, what will be the law with respect to gasoline powered cars? Will we even be allowed to drive them?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

cavemanno1

I'm 36 now and live in Hungary!There is not one '68-70 charger here or any mopars because of their pricetag!People's ultimate muscle cars are the second gen chargers!We don't have "mopar or no car" people and everybody who's into American cars love most of them!Hell people even get exited over a ford Explorer.

When that time comes and prices are going to descent,i'll buy as many chargers,'cudas as i can,but that era will NOT happen!The older these cars get the more value they are going to hold just because of their age!
Especially now when USA car too started making shells!Originals are always gonna demand more $

Mike DC

The shells won't get you a whole car though.  They are more like an overgrown replacement body panel.  New shells have been on the market for a good 10 years now and they haven't made a dramatic impact.  It's possible in the future but it hasn't happened so far.   

Go look at 20 random 1969 Camaros for sale and see how many of them are repro shells.  There probably won't be a single one.  

QuoteIn 30-35 years or so, what will be the law with respect to gasoline powered cars? Will we even be allowed to drive them?

I don't expect a big legal restriction on FF cars.  

Whatever the govt wants to do away with, it will be pressed out with regulations on how the new stuff can be built.  The govt generally doesn't kick existing stuff off the roads once it's out there.  

303 Mopar

Quote from: AKcharger on December 14, 2015, 10:27:52 PM
but seriously in 15-20 years there are going to be THOUSANDS of muscle cars hitting the market and prices will plummet, law of supply and demand I'm afraid  :-\

How do you figure this?  IMHO, the price of our cars keeps them out of reach for many (especially the younger generations) and the cost to restore them keeps climbing at least for Mopars.  This seems to indicate there will be less or the same quantity out there, but I'm interested to hear your reasoning.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on December 15, 2015, 07:39:50 AM
I'll buy them. Thrash them in the meantime. My only request is don't hack them!

What about Frankensteining them?

;D

Sorry, as a scientist, I had to ask the above question.... 

As for the OP question, the answer is: No, I am not worried about future Charger buyers.  Vintage Chargers will always be sought after for various reasons.  If combustion engines somehow get banned, there will likely be upgrades (ie. hydrogen fuel cells) available to keep them on the road....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......