News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No Heat. No Wonder! No Hoses! Pics needed!

Started by MoparRocks, December 03, 2015, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparRocks

So yeah. Weather is getting colder here in SoCal. Driving my 71 with a swapped in 340 (not done by me) I go to kick on the heater, nothing but ice cold air coming out of the vents. So I figure the heater core is probably clogged. I just need to back flush it. Had to do that on my old Ram one time. Easy enough right? Wrong!

I pop the hood today and go to see which hoses run to the firewall and discover there are none! I just have the 4 tubes sticking out of the firewall. 2 for the Ac that wasn't hooked up and I just removed and two for the heater!

Looking at the intake manifold around the water pump and thermostat area I see a few bolts that look like they are plugging the water passages that would usually be routed to the heater core. So can someone help me out with a few pics and or a diagram of which ports from the engine route to which lines on the firewall? And where exactly the bypass valve and line are supposed to go? Obviously I have to hunt down the nonexistent parts as well to get this hooked up again. It's too damn cold to be driving the Charger without heat. Especially when my Ram has heat, heated seats, and heated steering wheel. But I want to drive the Charger on the weekends like I usually do.
1971 Charger Richard Petty tribute
Mopar 340 three on the tree

myk

Too cold in SoCal?  I'm still driving my convertible; the weather's great.   :rofl:

Hang in there, someone will come along with the information you need.  Do you have a copy of the shop manual for your car?

MoparRocks

No I haven't picked one up yet. Need to order one still.

And yes my cold weather tolerance has gone completely to hell since I moved out here in 04. What used to be t-shirt and shorts weather is now jeans and hoodie weather. Never thought I'd think mid to low 50s is cold!

polywideblock

was heater bypassed for a reason during engine swap ?

pressure test your heater core before hooking it up to pressurised hot engine coolant , might save yourself a whole heap of  headaches and clean up    :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

MoparRocks

I'm not sure if it was bypassed for a reason or if the person who did the swap just didn't bother hooking it back up. The Charger had the AC pump, condenser, and lines and such mounted, but not hooked up. My thought was he didn't want to deal with the hassle and cost of charging the system. I didn't really want the AC and as it wasn't hooked up anyway I just removed all that stuff when I swapped in the new high amp alternator. I did wonder weather the heater core might be shot actually when I was thinking about this. How hard is it to yank the heater assembly out of these cars? Full on dash removal?

fy469rtse

Yep easier to remove dash ,
If cores are junk ,
Have a look at the classic or vintage air kits ,
Will be cheaper and work much better