News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Value Of A Non Factory Hemi Car

Started by JMF, December 14, 2015, 10:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

I've been offered a black on black 68 Charger Auto with a 426 Hemi but it's a non factory Hemi car, I think it would have started as a pretty basic 318 but the car has been fully restored by a respected shop in Europe and I have been told it is immaculate (I would obviously check the car over first before buying), I was just wondering what would a be an approximate value of it ? The car is in Europe so it probably has a different value than if it were in the USA but for the sake of this post please give me your thoughts on what it would be worth in the States ? Or better still, what would it actually realistically sell for , i'm trying to find out more details at the moment on what year etc the Hemi is, hp figures etc, thanks

skip68

Depends on restoration level.  $50K-$60k  :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

68X426

I don't think you will get an objective answer.  It's all opinion and it's based on what a buyer wants.

If you want a Hemi, then it's worth the extra you'll pay. 

If you don't care what the motor is, you just want loud and strong, then a 440 will do you fine.

I agree with Skip, a solid and top quality non-factory Hemi will typically fetch more than the same level 440, and that can mean $50k plus.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

Well, if you're going to clone a Hemi you really can't go wrong with a black 68 Charger. That's going to make it a fairly desirable car. Would you ever drive it if it were real? Once you get past the car (68 Charger) and engine(Hemi) the rest all comes down to quality of finish and the details. Does it have "correct" Hemi parts on it (frame stiffening, HD brakes and suspension, motor mounts, k-frame skid plate, chrome dome air cleaner, correct valve covers, etc.) or did they just slap in a crate motor with some Shumacher mounts and call it done? Basically, was it "done right"? Then there's the normal stuff you look for in a car that's worth a lot of money: paint, body panel gaps, interior fit and finish, etc. Does it have any out of place parts like an MSD box bolted to the top of the inner fender? If it's very well done I could see it going for $60-80k here. If it's not, well assume it will be worth about $15-20k more than a regular black 68 Charger in the same condition.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JMF

Thanks for the replies, some pics below

6spd68

I'd say it's quite the beautiful example.  My critique would be leaving they vinyl trim on the build, everything else looks pretty good in my opinion.  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

JMF

It needs raising and the wheels changing also

Troy

Ugh. So I was right about the MSD box. Nothing "correct" about it (air cleaner, valve covers, billet/chrome accessories, stripe, gauges in the middle of the dash, vinyl top trim but no vinyl, etc.) so I believe that will hurt the value from what it could be - but it's likely still expensive. The paint sure is shiny! The reason I mention the "correct" Hemi stuff is because it all costs a LOT. A good factory style air cleaner is about $1,000 for example so the cost to build goes way up. If it's built with the "well it works" attitude it is cheaper - but then the selling price has to reflect it as well.

Troy

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cavemanno1

Incorrect brake booster and mc as well?Aftermarket gauges where the aircon vents were :scratchchin: defroster bezel is missing?

However these little things wouldn't matter to me,nice car :drool5:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Troy on December 14, 2015, 04:53:50 PM
Ugh. So I was right about the MSD box. Nothing "correct" about it (air cleaner, valve covers, billet/chrome accessories, stripe, gauges in the middle of the dash, vinyl top trim but no vinyl, etc.) so I believe that will hurt the value from what it could be - but it's likely still expensive. The paint sure is shiny! The reason I mention the "correct" Hemi stuff is because it all costs a LOT. A good air cleaner is about $1,000 for example so the cost to build goes way up. If it's built with the "well it works" attitude it is cheaper - but then the selling price has to reflect it as well.

Troy

I agree with Troy.  There is a reason why original Hemi cars cost big $ to restore correctly: they need Hemi specific parts that cost big $ to buy.  Putting a 426 Hemi in the non-Hemi car will raise the value due to the additional cost of the engine.  However, it does not bring it up to the value of an original Hemi car. 

Funny that you mentioned about the Hemi air cleaner:  A decade ago, I was at a Missouri Mopar show and decided to see what was for sale in the parts vendor area.  A guy had a severely rusted (in pieces) 1970 Hemi air cleaner lid that was almost too far gone to restore.  It did not come with the base plate.  I watched it quickly sell for $75 because it said 426 Hemi on it.  The buyer commented that they were very hard to find, regardless of condition.... 
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

ws23rt

I agree with most on the 40k-60k value. based on the pictures.

To me a "Non Factory Hemi Car" Is just a car with hemi power.  An original hemi car will have the extra value that this question seems to be about.

When one is building a car and piecing it together the cost of a hemi will be more than a 440 so this adds to the total amount spent. Spent money is seldom returned on something like this.

Another thought I have about this whole WIW question in general is. One can get a seemingly high price when selling something but that is not a true measure of value.

I used to think that way but it only takes a very few to pay too much for something to skew reality. When we hear of a high selling price we feel good if we have that same thing. The reality is we were not the one that sold it and one fewer (of very few) over payers is in the market. :icon_smile_wink:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

skip68

Is that a real date coded HEMI? :shruggy:  I would think if it was that would add more value but it's probably not.   

6spd68

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 14, 2015, 05:56:09 PM
Crikies!  Take off that stripe! :slap:
You mean you don't like the 69 stripe on a 68? :P
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

68X426

I really like this Charger.  However, looks like a slapped together build based on the little things ignored. Such as,

* hide the MSD (as mentioned)
* move that battery to the trunk
* invest in a quality aluminum radiator
* please do something about the ugly plug wires

All the effort for stuffing a Hemi in, and then the wires are like 8 snakes just dumped on top of hoses.  I'll be harsh and opinionated on this one, those wires spell sloppy effort to me.  What other work might have cut corners or been slapped together?

So it's a great visual car, easy to kick up a level or two, get it for the best price you can (I'll peg the lowest end at $40k). 

And yes worth more than a comparable 440 (if you want a Hemi).

:Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1974dodgecharger

I wouldn't get it its NON STOCK!!!!  those rims look to be 18s?  Stocks were 14s or 15s....I see a lot of WRONG with this car.

myk

Quote from: JMF on December 14, 2015, 04:30:19 PM
It needs raising and the wheels changing also

The stance and the wheels are perfect.  This car isn't trying to be a factory car, it's a resto-mod; judge it accordingly...

Lennard

You guys are hilarious!  This car has been taken apart till the last nut and bolt and is perfectly restored/customized by the owner. The upholstery is handmade Alcantera leather and only quality parts have been used. It is owned and restored by the owner of a reputable restoration and speed shop. No corners were cut and no expense was spared. He wasn't going for a factory correct restoration.  I know this because the owner is my brother in law. About the stripe... he likes the '69 one better so he put it on his '68. That's what you do when you build a car for yourself.

www.sixpackspeedshop.nl

richard parker

That thing is bad ass I have seen alot of cars not even comparable to that go for 50-60k. Everything about that car is nice.  Any idea what size wheels and series of tire he's running?

Troy

Quote from: Lennard on December 14, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
You guys are hilarious!  This car has been taken apart till the last nut and bolt and is perfectly restored/customized by the owner. The upholstery is handmade Alcantera leather and only quality parts have been used. It is owned and restored by the owner of a reputable restoration and speed shop. No corners were cut and no expense was spared. I know this because the owner is my brother in law. About the stripe... he likes the '69 one better so he put it on his '68. That's what you do when you build a car for yourself.

www.sixpackspeedshop.nl
But personalizing a car so that only you appreciate it means you're going to take a hit when selling. Nature of the beast. No one is saying it's crap - just that it's not a car that should command top dollar. I don't think the numbers being thrown out are an insult by any stretch. Every one of them is higher than I've paid for any of my cars!

Troy

Lennard

My reply was more geared towards this one... ;)
Btw, nothing is cheap when it comes to a second generation Hemi. Those aluminum Indy valve covers for example are $700 for the set.
Quote from: 68X426 on December 14, 2015, 07:32:37 PM

I really like this Charger.  However, looks like a slapped together build based on the little things ignored. Such as,

* hide the MSD (as mentioned)
* move that battery to the trunk
* invest in a quality aluminum radiator
* please do something about the ugly plug wires

All the effort for stuffing a Hemi in, and then the wires are like 8 snakes just dumped on top of hoses.  I'll be harsh and opinionated on this one, those wires spell sloppy effort to me.  What other work might have cut corners or been slapped together?

So it's a great visual car, easy to kick up a level or two, get it for the best price you can (I'll peg the lowest end at $40k).  

And yes worth more than a comparable 440 (if you want a Hemi).

:Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

To me, it is maybe, big *maybe*  the value of a NOM car + cost of the crate engine. Don't add much else for me.   :Twocents:

Ghoste

I'm largely the same, the value of the car as is plus the cost of a crate Hemi.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 14, 2015, 05:56:09 PM
Crikies!  Take off that stripe! :slap:

My thoughts too. I love everything about the car- it's perfect.....except for that stripe. It needs a '68 stripe desperately :Twocents:.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic