News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 => 416 Stroker Kit

Started by Pouria, November 28, 2015, 05:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pouria

Hi;
I have been looking for stroker kits for the 340 block for a while and came to some brands like Eagle and Scat Engine but I have no idea about the advantages of each! I am far from USA and I need to make sure I am buying something that is applicable right out of the box with no headache and clearance issues. So I would appreciate if you could please share your experiences with me. This project is being handled by a homeless budget so I am not necessarily looking for brands as far as I don't loose the quality. The 340 is out of a 73 Charger.

Pouria

Challenger340

That is your first mistake, in thinking that any rotating assembly is "good to go" out of the box ? It just does not work that way.
Any of the budget priced kits you purchase, should be checked over and adjusted as req'd.
That said,
in my experience SCAT are usually better than Eagle, but no guarantee's as both still need checked over by a competent Machine Shop. :Twocents:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Pouria

Thanks for your great advice :cheers: That's what I exactly needed to hear from an expert! It is my first built and I don't know anything at all. Thanks again, any other tips, please let me know them. Any other brands else than Eagle and SCAT? Eagle kit with H-Beam rods is almost the same price as SCAT with I-Beam! Are H-Beams a must for an street engine around 600HP?

BSB67

Where are you?

If you are somewhere that lacks the expertise to check, fix, machine and build your motor, possibly have it done here and shipped to you.  You will not be able to just buy a bunch of parts and assemble at home.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Pouria

Perfect idea, but nope, that's not my problem. I personally have no or little experience in building engines but there are genius experts all around here and many of them are close friends. Actually the block is here and impossible to have it built over there. On the other hand, I wont miss the unrepeatable joy of watching my engine built and fastening a few bolts with my own hands ;) What I am doing right now is to try to gather as much information as possible from the experts here and asking you on this board to share your proven experiences with me. For every step and before purchasing any parts, I'll do the same thing and after getting the parts I'll post all the pictures from the progress for your valuable feedback.

Challenger340

We've always found the best way to make the sb Mopar stroker packages live over a very long time for extended street duty, was to make things as light as possible, so the I-Beams generally had the advantage there in the more expensively priced lines we use.... except I don't think an Eagle I-Beams are rated for 600 ? are they ?
You might wish to contact SCAT or EAGLE for their opinions on power ratings for their Rods ?

Pouria

I contacted both Eagle and SCAT but what I hate is to listen to the advertised figures. I'd rather get some proven data from those people who did it before! Thanks for the advice of making everything as light as possible, so you mean I need to look for a lower bob weight parts? Actually I know the way I chose is the hardest way with the most possible headache and work with special consideration to the fact that I live in Iran and have no chance to recover from any mistake but I love to go this way for my Charger. Building performance engines here is not a job but the experts I told do it for love so I am not worrying about the money they may ask for it, wont be that high for sure. The bad thing is that most of them did many Chevy's before but few experience on SB Mopars because Mopars are rare here while there are plenty of Chevys.
For the heads I am thinking about Edelbrock performer RPM that I read offer good performance at a streetable RPM, please correct me on this if I am wrong.
I-Beam Eagles are not rated for 600HP and that's why I am comparing the H-Beam Eagle with I-Beam SCAT. What other brands are offering stroker kits? Any reliable one at the right price?
I feel by heart that all you wrote is very true and I need to increase my knowledge and take advantage of the experiences of friends here to do this job right but I am at it and must go till the end. Please please please, be with me in this way by your valuable knowledge.

Challenger340

The small block Edelbrock performer RPM Heads, are NOT 600 hp Heads using "Street" type Camshafts, that is to say Camshafts designed for street use, and that will live in the street environment with minimal maintenance.
If you are contemplating using Performer rpm Heads out of the Box,(or even with "work" done), I would humbly suggest you lower your hp target to around 500 to 550.

Some questions before any Stroker kit can be recommended:
What Fuel grade do you have available where you are  ? The Octane Rating ?
What machining capabilities are available where you are ?
Can they mill the Block ?
Do they have Torque Plates for sb Mopars when boring and honing ?
Is this a 4 speed or automatic transmission Car ?

Pouria

Thank you for your post. Actually 500-550HP is pretty good, I'd love it :2thumbs:
Pump gas at 91 Octane is available here.
We have well equipped machine shops with high experience machine guys but I am not sure about the availability of torque plates! Actually, I can hardly believe they are avaialable!
Sure, they can do milling, honing and everything on the block.
I will run an A833 4speed.

Pouria

Just discussed with a friend about the torque plate. I can make one here if I get the correct data about the thickness of the sheet metal, its material as well as a right drawing. Having that available, I will go to a laser or water jet cutting shop and have them make the torque plate for me with 0.004" accuracy that seems to be enough. Is this kind of data available at anywhere?

Challenger340

Quote from: Pouria on November 30, 2015, 12:26:42 PM
Just discussed with a friend about the torque plate. I can make one here if I get the correct data about the thickness of the sheet metal, its material as well as a right drawing. Having that available, I will go to a laser or water jet cutting shop and have them make the torque plate for me with 0.004" accuracy that seems to be enough. Is this kind of data available at anywhere?

Have you investigated by buying a crate Engine from places like Hughes Engines ? or Mopar Engines West ? etc.
Forgive me for saying so....
but by the time you make a Torque Plate, import all the parts, etc., etc. ?? know what I mean here ?

Pouria

No problem bro, I am here to learn :cheers: Of course I did and I know there is very big advantage of having a crate engine built by those people who really know how to build it, but there are few bumpers in this way. 1st is the shipping cost and custom clearance issues. 2nd, here in Iran it is very hard to change the engine number of the car (specially for classic cars!) and needs lots of time and paper work so it is an advantage for me to use my stock block. I already got a 400 block for possible future use but it is a headache anyway. 3rd, I don't have easy access to many repair shops for this kind of engine around here like what you have over there so if there is any problem with the crate engine by time, it would be firstly very hard for me to spot the problem and secondly to grab the right spare part for it. The advantage of building the engine is at least I know what I purchased and what I did! 4th and the most important bumper is me myself! I can't help being too much interested in building the engine that I'll drive myself, I can't kill my passion :shruggy: I am sure it is very easy to understand this kind of feeling for the people on this board! We are all crazy, aren't we? ::)

Pouria

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Pouria

Quote from: el dub on December 05, 2015, 01:02:33 PM
What did you decide on the torque plates. Did you find any dimensions. Try going to machinist forums for dimensions.......http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/how-flat-does-torque-plate-have-272804/

Or buy them....http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/6614.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=41477300408&gclid=COu3j-CmxckCFYiCfgodQh4HmQ.
I decided to make my own. Thanks for the very useful links from which I could find much of data. I didn't find any dimensions actually but that is not hard to achieve, I can get the dimensions by measuring the top of the cylinder block.
I also studied the BHJ website and their hone plate catalog. Much useful information was laying there too. Now I have enough knowledge to be able to make own plate :2thumbs:

Pouria

Bad news :-\ I took the 340 block to machine shop for testing. Unfortunately the block has a hair crack on the inner wall below the deck right above the lifter tunnels! I will have it repaired but there is no way to use it for performance purposes anymore and should be rebuilt with stock parts. I opened a new topic here and need to use your experiences for the build of this injured block:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121331.0.html

For the performance build, I will stick to the 400 block I already got and will open the thread to receive your advice later.

Thanks - Pouria