News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to make a 500 Clone???

Started by graybo, November 28, 2015, 03:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graybo

Just thinking about making a charger 500 clone.  I know about the rear plug and the coronet grill, but what else makes it a 500?   Who makes the parts?  Thanks. :2thumbs:

DAY CLONA

Obviously the "big ticket" items are the rear window plug/glass/trim/package tray/headliner as well as modified truck lid, closeout panel, and hinges all Daytona/500 specific no interchange from any other model

you'll need a Coronet grille, 68 inner fender light bucket structures, grille end fillers (C500 item only) along with the C500 grill support brackets, 8 total...a lot of the smaller grille/light extension pcs and plates are not available repro, so you'll have to fabricate those...

and of course the A pillar stainless covers

to do a "correct" clone, assuming you have no Tona/500 parts on hand, could/will run you in the $4000+ range

Mike

graybo

wow. Didnt know these parts were so expensive.  Who makes the trunk lid and rear plug? :brickwall:

ws23rt

I see some important questions to be asked.
Do you want one-- but and can't afford what they sell for?
If you had a clone would it fill your desire?

As has been pointed out. Their are many details that would make it look like a C500. On the other hand their are many things that are not seen that also make it a C500 from a strollers point of view.

If you want a C500 and build something that looks like your vision. :cheers: You can save a lot of money by skimping on the small stuff that few will see.

If you really want one and spend your budget -- to make it what you can afford-- you will know that what you have is just a step toward the goal.

The C500s are not something that turn over with ease. A part way clone IMO would be tossing money into the wind. The next owner of your car will see it for what it was and not for what you may think it might be.

I salute to those that feel moved to make a clone. :cheers:  I also propose finding the real deal and have a better long term experience for the effort. :Twocents:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: graybo on November 28, 2015, 09:58:33 PM
wow. Didnt know these parts were so expensive.  Who makes the trunk lid and rear plug? :brickwall:

The trunk lid can be fashioned from a 69-70 stock lid using either a steel or fiberglass closeout panel when it's shortened, you will need the Tona/500 hinges as they are required to clearance the rear window plug, the close out panels are available from several sources, as are the hinges, as far as the rear window plug, your choices are either the cheap route using the Vega/Astre rear hatch, a Janek fiberglass rear plug (not recommended), or a repro steel plug, glass can either be repro or original depending on availability and choice, window trim can be either original, repro, or welded/extended stock 68-70 pcs, either way the stuff is out there, it's just a matter of looking/deciding on what you desire, or can/want to afford, and how correct you want your clone to be?

Mike

500Jon

Fantastic idea to build a 500 Clone!
Everyone knows what Gen-2 Chargers look like, (Bullitt, General Lee, Fast and Furious) etc...
Most Folks know what Wingcars look like lol...

Very few Folks know the history of the C500!
Once the Daytona's were built and Petty starting winning in his Birdy, the C500 was forgotten.
A very succesful short course car and maybe even won at DEGA!!!

You can spend hours enlghteneing Folks into the short history of the first Dodge AERO-CAR!!!

No resto or rebuild will be cheap, unless you are lucky to have a rustfree complete 69 Charger?

Race-car copy is probably the cheapest option?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

xx29

Quote from: 500Jon on November 29, 2015, 06:02:15 AM
Fantastic idea to build a 500 Clone!
Everyone knows what Gen-2 Chargers look like, (Bullitt, General Lee, Fast and Furious) etc...
Most Folks know what Wingcars look like lol...

Very few Folks know the history of the C500!
Once the Daytona's were built and Petty starting winning in his Birdy, the C500 was forgotten.
A very succesful short course car and maybe even won at DEGA!!!

You can spend hours enlghteneing Folks into the short history of the first Dodge AERO-CAR!!!

No resto or rebuild will be cheap, unless you are lucky to have a rustfree complete 69 Charger?

Race-car copy is probably the cheapest option?

Original 500's are nearly as expensive as wingcars now...most "regular folks" can't afford them anymore..finding a rough and "cheap" project is a mission impossible..best option is to build a clone

dyslexic teddybear

I was originally attracted to this site by the areo section..... so there's always been an interest in having one. I really can not justify the cost vs what I would get out of a real one. I do want it to be a driver, something I would find hard to do with a genuine piece of history.

So it means some form of clone, and unlike many, I love the 500 grill. Soooo, a 500 clone is growing on me. A lot. I like odd and unique.....a 500 does that......with a bit more subtly then a Daytona or Superbird.

I'd be damm happy with the blue one above.  :yesnod: Will be a couple of years more before I can start on one.....my significant other has this really weird idea I should finish some of my projects before starting in on another. Silly, right?

held1823

just for clarification, the blue one above is an original owner real c500.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hotrod98

I have a nice grille with bezels if you decide to go that route. PM me if you're interested. 

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

500Jon

As with some Daytona clones (and Birdy's) you can leave out the window plug conversion.
Then all it is, a grille modification!
So if anyone says, ''didn't these C500's come with the rear window-plug''?

You can say that some of the early ones didn't have them... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

When you drive it (your clone) on the street or track, you probably won't notice the rear-end LIFT below 180mph... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: held1823 on November 30, 2015, 12:39:20 AM
just for clarification, the blue one above is an original owner real c500.

Beautiful car! :yesnod:

Would love a real one......but driving one much would add too much stress to keep it fun. It's not the coin as much as I just would not want to mess up history. And driving as much as I would like to....

Of course, having a real one.....and a cloned driver...... :drool5: Best of the best! :yesnod:

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 30, 2015, 01:14:16 AM
I have a nice grille with bezels if you decide to go that route. PM me if you're interested. 

PM sent.

Interested, but like anyone with multiple projects, priorities ......it's always about priorities.

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: 500Jon on November 30, 2015, 09:09:05 AM
As with some Daytona clones (and Birdy's) you can leave out the window plug conversion.
Then all it is, a grille modification!
So if anyone says, ''didn't these C500's come with the rear window-plug''?

You can say that some of the early ones didn't have them... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

When you drive it (your clone) on the street or track, you probably won't notice the rear-end LIFT below 180mph... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I could live without the plug on a Superbird/Daytona......wouldn't want to, but I could live without it.

On a C500.....no. JMO.....the rear window makes the car. It makes the car different and sleek, the grille only works with that sleekness.

Just my thoughts......

astjp2

I would like to have a clone myself, just because I could beat a clone in ways I would never consider with a real one.  Tim

graybo

Quote from: astjp2 on December 06, 2015, 11:23:09 PM
I would like to have a clone myself, just because I could beat a clone in ways I would never consider with a real one.  Tim

Yeah Tim,  I agree.  Thats one of the reasons I built a Superbird clone.  I drive it everywhere.  Other, and main, reason was I COULDN"T AFFORD A REAL ONE! :smilielol: