News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sensors, preventive maintenance?

Started by Paul G, December 08, 2015, 06:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

My trucks CEL came on the other day, the engine would die and just ran poorly. Code P0320, crank sensor. I replaced the crank sensor, cleared the code and the truck has been running fine. It was a cheap fix, $12 for BWD sensor and easy to change too. I have been driving a few days on the the new crank sensor, it feels like the engine is running much smoother now on the new sensor, than it was on the old sensor before it died.

I would have thought that a sensor would be a good or bad kind of thing, not something that can deteriorate over time and run poorly before it fails? Or is it just me?   

Is there any type of preventive maintenance with all the sensors on an engine, kind of like replacing spark plugs, wires filters, etc.?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

daveco

Not really.
It's not unusual to get a defective replacement part, or one with a greatly reduced service life.

About the best one can do is become familiar with problems that are typical for the vehicle in question and keep spares available.
R/Tree

rt green

you could take it in and see if there are any pending codes. readings that the computer is monitoring and have some "dirt" on say a sensor that has to go out of range three times to set a light, and only has went out twice. or you can scan it to see if some readings are getting high or low, or if the o2 sensors are getting lazy ect. hope this makes sense. :Twocents:
third string oil changer

myk

Things like O2 sensors can start to go bad without setting off the CEL; car performance can suffer though, so the only thing you can really do is either test all sensors with the right equipment, or just wait for the CEL to go off...

Mike DC

I've been told that some crank sensors are capable of going bad without being quite bad enough to throw a code.  Quite an annoying problem to pin down. 

Paul G

Quote from: rt green on December 08, 2015, 08:47:15 PM
you could take it in and see if there are any pending codes. readings that the computer is monitoring and have some "dirt" on say a sensor that has to go out of range three times to set a light, and only has went out twice. or you can scan it to see if some readings are getting high or low, or if the o2 sensors are getting lazy ect. hope this makes sense. :Twocents:

So it would be advisable to check the sensors and replace any that are on the "watch list" per say. I question the cam sensor now too. It is the same age as the crank sensor was. Dont want to have that one ruin a trip on me one day since the engine can not run without it. Can hand held devices check for poorly performing sensors or is it a dealer thing? 

O2 sensors as well? They will compromise engine performance and fuel consumption but will not stop the engine, is that correct?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

A383Wing

you don't say what kind of truck, but Chrysler should have included a couple of the crank sensors in the glovebox when the vehicle was sold new from the dealer

myk

I know people who swap out sensors after a given mileage,  just to be sure...

Paul G

rt green

sometimes as you know, electronics just quit. you know this is common. I was just suggesting a  "check up" if you will. it could pick up something, or hopefully not.  it would set your mind at ease if nothing else.
third string oil changer