News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater Box Firewall Nightmare! PLEASE HELP!

Started by NateCharger, December 05, 2015, 03:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateCharger

I wasn't sure where to post this, it touches on several things...

I pulled the whole dash to restore the dash pad and cluster. I figured I might as well pull the heater box too. I always thought something looked funny under the hood in that area. There was a lot of HVAC putty and it didn't look like the blower motor fit quite right. When I pulled the box, I FOUND THIS! Somebody cut the firewall to make this box fit, BUT WHY!? Can anybody out there help me make sense of this?

NateCharger

Alaskan_TA

It looks like someone may have put an AC box in a car that did not come with AC.

What year is it & is the car coded for AC?

NateCharger

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 05, 2015, 04:20:49 PM
It looks like someone may have put an AC box in a car that did not come with AC.

What year is it & is the car coded for AC?
I thought the whole time it was coded for A/C! Freaked out and pulled the build sheet to double check, and NO A/C!!! Now what am I to do?

Lord Warlock

clean up the hacked holes, and put the ac back in, better to have air than not have it. And anything is better than having an extra large hole in the firewall.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Dino

You have a few options:

-Bring the car back to stock, install a pain heater box and get a firewall patch.
-Keep the a/c box and get an a/c firewall patch to do a proper repair
-Install a plain heater box, get a firewall patch, and install an added aftermarket a/c

First question: do you want a/c and/or do you want the car stock looking?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NateCharger

I just don't want to negatively effect the value, it is a 71' Charger R/T. What are all your thoughts on value?

JB400

I'd fix the hole and put the ac back in it if you have all the parts and it works.  I doubt it that you'd hurt the value of the car unless it was a major collectable vehicle like a v code or a Hemi car.  I think most would prefer the ac.

six-tee-nine

Adding AC is not directly hurting the value. But when its done by hacking up the firewall like that, then I guess it does hurt the value. It all depends on what you want.

If you want your ride to match its build sheet, then you need to put a non ac heater in it and bring the stock firewall back. You can Always add a aftermarket ac system under the dash. I dont believe that hurts the value unless you have a one of one Hemi daytona 4speed....

You can keep the OEM AC you have now, but the I'd suggest you put in a correct firewall patch to it does'nt look hacked up like it does now.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Scaregrabber

It's your car, your decision. If it was mine I would do a happy dance, list the A/c stuff for sale and make the car the way it was when it left the factory. A/C is ugly, heavy and complicated.

Sheldon

six-tee-nine

I tend to agree scaregrabber, I live in a moderate climate, but maybe to OP is located in FL or some place hot where the need for AC is much larger....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

green69rt

A replacement is available if you decide to replace it.  Also a non-AC firewall is available at AMD. Check here.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/body-components-firewall-firewalls-c-23_127_259.html