News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 grille support frame

Started by 68ChargerJMP, December 07, 2015, 08:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

On the back of the support frame there are four tabs with studs attached (two on each side) that I believe bolt through the inner front fender. Two of mine are broken off halfway so I need to replace them. Are these studs welded on or can they just be knocked out? Thanks.

green69rt

Mine were tack welded on.  If you come up with a good source for a replacement, please post it on this forum.   I ended up using these things called "elevator bolts"  that I got from Lowes.  Not an exact match but close enough for a hot rod.

68ChargerJMP

Thanks. I will probably just use the same as you. Not going for a 100% perfect resto.

Lennard

Just drill them out and tag weld carriage bolts in.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Lennard on December 07, 2015, 01:47:39 PM
Just drill them out and tag weld carriage bolts in.

I drilled mine out as well, and just slipped a new bolt through the hole with a lock washer.

(before pic)

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: green69rt on December 09, 2015, 12:07:06 AM
Here's what they look like.

Does anyone know why they are called elevator bolts?  :icon_smile_big:

68ChargerJMP

Elevator Bolts

Elevator Bolts are designed to hold together canvas belts used in grain elevators and other conveyer systems. The large diameter of the head and square neck creates a greater bearing surface to keep the bolt from going through the soft conveyer material.

...as described by Fastenal.