News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mechanical fuel pump leak

Started by Alan73Charger, December 04, 2015, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

Hey guys,

So after the Charger warms up a bit I'm seeing a small gas leak.  It's hard to see in the picture but the only gas I'm seeing is pooling at the top of the pump.  Replace the pump?  Can they leak internally?  I can't find any other signs of a leak.  Gas line is snug at the carb and at the pump.  And the filter is new with new hoses.  Plus the leak would have to be above the pump for it to be pooling where it is.  Before I buy a new fuel pump I thought I would get some feedback from the forum.

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

A383Wing

time for a new pump. diaphragm inside has ruptured...fuel is coming out the spit hole....after you change pump, change your oil also

Alan73Charger

Hey thanks, I was thinking diaphragm myself.  I know you can change them out but with the cost of a new fuel pump under 15 bucks why mess with it. 

I just changed the oil and haven't driven the car.  Still a good idea to dump it??  Any tips on getting the pump out?  My two bolts seem to be in a pretty difficult location to get a socket into. 

XH29N0G

I suspect the oil change is because fuel might also go into the engine.  I had one go (not on a mopar) when I was a kid and it filled up the oil with gasoline.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Alan73Charger

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 05, 2015, 01:01:55 AM
I suspect the oil change is because fuel might also go into the engine.  I had one go (not on a mopar) when I was a kid and it filled up the oil with gasoline.

Thank you HX29.  Yes I also knew that was why the oil change was mentioned but thought if the spit hole was working properly I wouldn't have fuel in the new oil.  I guess better safe than sorry though!

scratchinfotraction

FYI..it WILL have gas in the oil if you see it out the weep hole.

lost 2 440s because of a stock pump dumping into the crankcase.

I only run elect. pumps on BB now.

just change it

Alan73Charger

It will be changed.  Oil change is a breeze.  The filter is a bitch to get to but can't have gas in the oil screwing up my engine.  Sucks on your 440's.  I have new pump in.  Just waiting on my alternator to come back and I'll get her running again.  Once I'm sure we have no leaks out comes the oil!  Thanks for the advice. 

Quote from: scratchinfotraction on December 14, 2015, 09:54:56 AM
FYI..it WILL have gas in the oil if you see it out the weep hole.

lost 2 440s because of a stock pump dumping into the crankcase.

I only run elect. pumps on BB now.

just change it