News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally bought my 1968 r/t 4 speed!

Started by cavemanno1, December 03, 2015, 07:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

Hi guys!

After a long search i have bought my 1968 dodge charger.Real r/t 4 speed with original trans and rear end.She is very rusty but i couldn't pass her up since i always wanted a 4 speed r/t and they hardly ever for sale!

Bare in mind that I'm in Hungary where the labor cost significantly cheaper,so the bodywork and paint won't cost me an arm and a leg,hopefully  :lol:

As a said she needs a lot of work so if you have any parts for sale that i might need,let me know!I'm after power disc brake,power steering set up,floors,brand new interior,wiring.etc...

Thank you!

Peter

cavemanno1

More

charger chris

:o nice car but u better get that cross member fixed. that makes that side of the car really weak.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

skip68

Awesome news.    :cheers: :2thumbs: 
You've been looking for this car forever.   Congratulations.   :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

charger chris

make sure they know about that spot. so they don't twist or rip ur car apart when they are shipping it. :popcrn:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

bakerhillpins

Turquoise with White, buddy seat interior 4 spd car.    :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

cavemanno1

6spd68

Building one of these things in Canada is tough enough.  I can only imagine what it's gonna be like across the pond.  Best of luck moving forward sir!  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

cbrestorations

sdweatherman

Super car and super color combo! That car will be stunning when done. Good luck with the restoration.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

cavemanno1

Yes i have bought it from ebay and i know i paid way too much for it!However,i have been after one for ages and they were way out of my price range with questionable quality so i got it!
They all need work and nothing is impossible!
In six months i will tell you if i made a mistake or made a good decision,but i can feel it it will be fine.
Hey,at last i have a 4 speed charger now :drool5:

stripedelete

Quote from: charger chris on December 03, 2015, 08:18:05 AM
make sure they know about that spot. so they don't twist or rip ur car apart when they are shipping it. :popcrn:

A little bump here.  I think Chris makes a good point.    Maybe someone can tack a gusset on a cross that spot.
Just in case........

six-tee-nine

Congrats,

I always loved the look of a Dana60 under on of these cars. At least you can see what needs to be done to this one...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dino

Congratulations!  That's a stunning combo, are you going to restore it to stock specs?

I don't think you made a mistake, you got the car you always wanted and I don't see anything that can't be fixed.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cbrestorations

dont think you paid too much for it, 4spd rt dana cars dont pop up everyday, im suprised it didnt go higher.

cavemanno1

Thanks guys for reassurance  :2thumbs:

I'm surprised as well that it didn't go higher.Last time i saw one for sale in my price range it was in 2013.Maybe there were more later on as well but I didn't see them.Anyway,that car was just as rough and went for $12k.In my "twisted" mindset i'm ok to pay for a car like this 10k and spend 30+ on it rather then pay 40k for it.In the end it all costs the same but you never count the money you spend on your hobby,you count the buying price.

Am I restoring her back to factory specs?
No,because she came with manual steering and brakes.My wife will drive her as well and I wanna make it as safe and drivable as i can.A power steering is a must i think.Oh and I don't like the white interior and body seat,I'm afraid.Love the black interior and console but these can be easily swapped back into factory spec!
Other then these i will have disc brakes,firecore set up from Ron,frame connectors,Lca and k frame will be reinforced.
Magnum 500's with 15x8,255/60/15 front and 295/50/15 in the back same as Bull's!

I wanted a black car but tan top talked me out of it and i have to say i like that turquoise!

Thanks guys!

hemi68charger

Your next best friend will be, hopefully someone in Europe, who's a dealer for AMD Sheetmetal. Don't compromise on the Sheetmetal... Study it, ask questions on here and watch it get rebuilt..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

cavemanno1

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 03, 2015, 04:14:38 PM
Your next best friend will be, hopefully someone in Europe, who's a dealer for AMD Sheetmetal. Don't compromise on the Sheetmetal... Study it, ask questions on here and watch it get rebuilt..

I will get most of the sheetmetal fitted inside or on the car.However my bodyguy can make his own sheetmetal if he is working on 50 year old Jaguars where reproduced panels aren't available!
The floors,wheel wells,crossmember,frame rails will fit inside the trunk.It only needs lower quarter panels so they will be cut out and the new ones will be screwed on temporally.Front suspension,wiring harnesses,interior,disc brake etc will fit on the back seat or on the floor.Going to stuff the car with a lot of things,at least that is the plan!

Thanks,

Peter

charger chris

Quote from: stripedelete on December 03, 2015, 01:11:27 PM
Quote from: charger chris on December 03, 2015, 08:18:05 AM

A little bump here.  I think Chris makes a good point.    Maybe someone can tack a gusset on a cross that spot.
Just in case........

just hate to see him spend all that money and the shipping comp. strap the car and do more harm to the car. if there some people that mite give him some ideas to help with this.  :popcrn:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

ht4spd307

Quote from: cavemanno1 on December 03, 2015, 04:51:27 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 03, 2015, 04:14:38 PM

I will get most of the sheetmetal fitted inside or on the car.However my bodyguy can make his own sheetmetal if he is working on 50 year old Jaguars where reproduced panels aren't available!
The floors,wheel wells,crossmember,frame rails will fit inside the trunk.It only needs lower quarter panels so they will be cut out and the new ones will be screwed on temporally.Front suspension,wiring harnesses,interior,disc brake etc will fit on the back seat or on the floor.Going to stuff the car with a lot of things,at least that is the plan!

Thanks,

Peter
are you saying they are going to cut the 1/4s off so you can ship the new 1/4s with the car ? i wouldnt cut the 1/4s off and ship the car. as you will be weakening the car even further .bite the bullet & pay the shipping for the 1/4s  in the shipping container !  congrats on your score

skip68

I think for $10K you did good.    :2thumbs: 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

polywideblock

congratulations   :cheers:   finally got what you've been looking for  :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

bull

I see the Inland. :2thumbs:

One thing you need to know, a console Inland is different than yours. The console version has a couple of dog legs in it so that the arm is more centered above the driveline hump. Personally, I'd leave the setup the way it is. Consoles are cool but they're also a huge pain and expensive.

Other than that, congrats! Looking forward to seeing it come back to life.

cavemanno1

Thanks guys for the positive reaction!

I think i will the shifter as is for now as you mentioned it Bull,and might get a console later on if i really want one.

ht4spd307,

Now you mentioning it,it does sound a bad idea to weaken the body further and i will just get full quarters put into the container or buy them here in Europe!
Thanks for bringing it up and please guys if you read anything stupid i wanna do,just let me know so i won't make a huge mistake.

Thanks again guys! :2thumbs:

Nickrc3

Quote from: cavemanno1 on December 03, 2015, 11:59:24 AM
Yes i have bought it from ebay and i know i paid way too much for it!However,i have been after one for ages and they were way out of my price range with questionable quality so i got it!
They all need work and nothing is impossible!

I think you did fine on the purchase and will soon have one special vehicle. With the availability of aftermarket components, nothing is impossible with this old musclecars.
Ship the AMD parts in their boxes, with I thought were very well protected.

This roach is my first car I purchased in 1976, and far worse condition than yours, however, I decided I need to see myself next to the car from age 16 to 60. So, I've got five years to finish her.

Good luck with her and keep us posted on progress.

RIDELIKEHELL

:cheers: anything can be saved if you have deep pockets  :D Mine was bad but I have to save that is an awesome optioned car dude! http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48718.0.html
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Mrs.Caveman

Hi guys!

He doesn't have deep pockets just a determind mindset.At least now he calmed down and he is over the moon to have his dream car finally,after all these years.
Wasn't too happy about him spending all that money but you can't kill your husband dream otherwise you loose him!

Thanks for helping him!Cheers guys! :2thumbs:

Veronika

keepat

Quote from: Mrs.Caveman on December 04, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
Hi guys!

He doesn't have deep pockets just a determind mindset.At least now he calmed down and he is over the moon to have his dream car finally,after all these years.
Wasn't too happy about him spending all that money but you can't kill your husband dream otherwise you loose him!

Thanks for helping him!Cheers guys! :2thumbs:

Veronika

Veronika, you sound like a very cool person! Peter, good luck with your awesome car and congrats on your cool wife!

Pat

skip68

The biggest step is over.  Just getting your dream car is not easy. 
Finding the car you want with the options you want on a budget is harder than restoring it.  Now it's just a matter of time with finances allowing for making it his.   Could be 6 months or maybe several years but that's ok. 
Peter has his dream car.     :2thumbs: :cheers:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

cavemanno1

Thanks Nickrc3,PAt,Skip,Steve and everyone!

My wife is cool and without her support I'd not have that car now!Lucklily she knows how much i want that car and that I'll go great length to get it.Worked hard to get the money for it and instead of blowing the money on a brand new car i can have my dream car now!

Nobody would buy a 48 year old car over here for a price of a house!With $400/month of average salary over here these cars are a lot more expensive for us then for you!

Thanks again guys!

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

cavemanno1

Quote from: Tilar on December 04, 2015, 06:24:43 PM
Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2015, 11:58:04 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on December 03, 2015, 08:52:56 AM
Turquoise with White, buddy seat interior 4 spd car.    :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Awesome! :2thumbs:

Troy

Troy, Isn't that like the one you had?

Troy,if you stillhave any pictures could you post them up,please?
I really love the black interior and the white is a bit too delicate but with the LL1 might look good  :scratchchin:

Thanks,

charger chris

Everyone dose black. I been thinking about doing burned orange.then I have to fig out what color to paint the out side of my car.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Troy

Quote from: cavemanno1 on December 04, 2015, 07:44:49 PM

Troy

I really love the black interior and the white is a bit too delicate but with the LL1 might look good  :scratchchin:

Thanks,
That was the other Troy: hemi68charger

His was LL1 with a white top and interior - and it had a Hemi. I had one in turquoise with black top and interior (although it was originally gold). I *have* a bright blue one with white top but a black interior (still a project). I prefer the white - but they are harder to keep clean. I owned a black/white/white 68 Charger, still have a bronze/white/white 68Charger, had a yellow with white interior 73 Barracuda, and also have a bright blue with white interior 70 Mach 1. The white top on any of the blues really sets off the color. The interior in 68 is a "pearl" white and can be tricky to get right. The good news is about half of it is black so if you started with all black it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Here's some threads on Troy's:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45445.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48072.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36552.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46926.0.html

This was mine (can't guarantee that the color is "correct"):

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

el dub

Congrats.  Now the work starts. But its really not work, its fun.  :cheers:
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

cavemanno1

Thanks for the pictures Troy!

El dub,thanks  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Hi Peter! I thought you said the engine must have correct numbers for your country to allow title? The ad states "66 non HP 440"?  :scratchchin:

cavemanno1

Quote from: b5blue on December 06, 2015, 09:12:02 AM
Hi Peter! I thought you said the engine must have correct numbers for your country to allow title? The ad states "66 non HP 440"?  :scratchchin:

Hi Neil!

Yes,it should have but i said Fu.k it!I'm sure if the car is nice in and out they won't care about it!The problem is over here nobody gives you an exact answer!Some says it has to be,someone else says it's ok if the car is beautiful and again someone else said it depends who takes the car to the inspection :scratchchin:  :-\ Unfortunately or for tunatelly over here you have to know the right people to get somewhere!
They have a 100 point system to judge the car and 75 points it needs to pass.

The car has the original trans and rear end so i thought I'll be OK!

b5blue

Great News!!  :cheers: I know you'll have fun fixing this one!  :2thumbs:

bull

If money is an issue (as it is with most of us) just take your time. Were it not for a lack of money my Charger would have been done in less than a year but instead it took nine years - mostly due to waiting and saving the cash to do the next step in the process. I don't regret it.

cavemanno1

Hi Curtis(Bull)!

Money isn't a big issue,it's more like the lack of professional experience with mopars over here!Since there are no second gen Chargers here or b bodies,i must gather all the information i need.Can't just take my transmission to a shop and pay them to rebuild it since no one ever seen one before.Luckily and hopefully these 48 year old designs are not to complicated to someone who is adequate rebuilding European transmissions and such,but still needs all the parts and info.

Same goes to the gauges as well.Dino has given me all the info i will need to rebuilt it myself so hopefully that won't be too much of a trouble!

There are a lot of nice,kind and helpfull guys over here to make my restoration a walk in the park  :lol:

See that is why i love America and wanna live there,because you guys are all helpful and positive.Of course you have bad apples as well just like in every country but over here people drain your energy down.Instead of being happy for you and helping,they just want you to suffer if they can't have what you have  :brickwall:

I have been in the states 4 times by now and lived(travelled)for a year in 2004.But i have never had any bad experience ever!I go to a shop here and in 5 minutes people's ignorance and rudeness piss me off big time!

But i steered away from the topic here!
No ass kissing intent but i just wanna say THANK YOU for everyone!It's a lot harder for me to have that charger then you could ever imagine it!With $400/month salary here it's really hard to save up the money,so spending $1200 on the gauges rebuild it's NOT an option!Although,from time to time i go to England to work just to have a bit more money.Still have to watch what i spend just like most of us!

Thank you!

Peter

Mytur Binsdirti

cavemanno1

I have to say i always wanted a black charger but this color is gorgeous  :drool5:

b5blue

Peter I really like these original colors for your car. They mark it as 1968, who offered this kind of color combination in the last 10 years! (Most interiors have been only grey for a very long time!)  However this is YOUR car now!
  If BLACK is what you really like best then paint it black!  :2thumbs: You'll be doing so much work by the time your even close to done you deserve to have it your way! I was lucky, B5 Blue is my above all my most favorite color. To have found a Charger with blue inside and out was a big deal for me but not the reason I bought it. 5 years from now nobody will care what color it is except you, they will just be excited to see a Charger! FIX it and DRIVE IT! That is what counts.  :cheers:

Joostdodge

Have fun with it, great when you can make your dream come true! :icon_smile_cool:
Have my charger for about 8 months also from out of the states.
:2thumbs: from the Netherlands

cavemanno1

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: Troy on December 05, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: cavemanno1 on December 04, 2015, 07:44:49 PM

Troy

Thanks,
That was the other Troy: hemi68charger

His was LL1 with a white top and interior - and it had a Hemi. I had one in turquoise with black top and interior (although it was originally gold). I *have* a bright blue one with white top but a black interior (still a project). I prefer the white - but they are harder to keep clean. I owned a black/white/white 68 Charger, still have a bronze/white/white 68Charger, had a yellow with white interior 73 Barracuda, and also have a bright blue with white interior 70 Mach 1. The white top on any of the blues really sets off the color. The interior in 68 is a "pearl" white and can be tricky to get right. The good news is about half of it is black so if you started with all black it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Here's some threads on Troy's:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45445.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48072.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,36552.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46926.0.html

This was mine (can't guarantee that the color is "correct"):

Troy

Your old JJ1 gold RT now being LL1 (since many moons) is living since a few years in sweden

Carsten

Evolution69

Matching numbers 1968 Dodge Charger RT

"Because bad guys always drove Chargers" - Richard Hammond

cavemanno1

She has started her long journey!

Some music to enjoy the moment!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RawdCW0WCKU

1nasty69z

Almost here !!!!!  :cheers:   Time  to pack it full of parts and send it to you !

cavemanno1

Hey Jim!

Hopefully you good at packing because a truck load of parts need to go inside :lol:

b5blue

cavemanno1

Thanks Neil!

She is at my friend's house and she isn't too bad.Roof,window corners,channels,sail panel,cowl,top of the quarters are excellent ;D
Frame rails aren't that bad and the torsion cross member is only bad on the outside where it joins the rockers.My friend 1nasty69z will go through it and make a list what i need to buy!

Still can't believe it,i own a '68 r/t 4 speed charger :drive:

1nasty69z

Yes... it actually looks better than I thought it would !  Roof , drip rails, cowl , a-pillars , all look better than my car...Looks to have one repaint on it, red over turquoise ,  has original doors on it still. Have to go over it better this week. Best part its a Dana car ! I was a little scared to see it when it got here, they always seem to be worse than they look in pictures. But Im happy with it so far. It will take dedication , patience, and $$$$$ but will be worth it in the long run.