News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

printers that still print when a color is empty

Started by oldcarnut, November 27, 2015, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I need another PC printer.  I'm tired of it quitting printing black when one of the colors is near empty.  Won't even go gray scale. Its a ripoff by the mfg to sell ink or program to read empty before its time because they sure don't last long and I rarely print pictures or any high color papers.  Anybody know of or recommend one that will print cartridge independent of the others and lasts a while.  May just find a pure black and white one.

b5blue

My old HP did that, black was separate. Look at printers AND the price for refills. The replacement Cannon I bought was 38.00 at Walmart (Not on sale ether!) at 38.00 It's almost disposable being I rarely print stuff out. Refills for the H.P ran 12.00 or so for black or colors so a set of refills kit was about 26 bucks.  :lol: I tried refilling at home but no luck with the system, things gummed up.  :eek2:

hawkeye

Get a laser printer.  They use a toner cartridge that only prints black and white and won't dry out.

green69rt

Quote from: b5blue on November 27, 2015, 07:11:08 PM
My old HP did that, black was separate. Look at printers AND the price for refills. The replacement Cannon I bought was 38.00 at Walmart (Not on sale ether!) at 38.00 It's almost disposable being I rarely print stuff out. Refills for the H.P ran 12.00 or so for black or colors so a set of refills kit was about 26 bucks.  :lol: I tried refilling at home but no luck with the system, things gummed up.  :eek2:

Wow, at $38 for a printer, that's less than the cartridges to fill it,  Just throw away the printer and get another.  But, IIRC, the cartridges in a new printer are reduced capacity, maybe 50%.

oldcarnut

I've refilled mine too except the cartridge circuit strip wont recognize them as full again and I wouldn't doubt its designed that way.  I'm glad milk, juice, and gasoline isn't as expensive as ink :eek2:

Todd Wilson

Quote from: hawkeye on November 27, 2015, 08:19:53 PM
Get a laser printer.  They use a toner cartridge that only prints black and white and won't dry out.

I found me an old HP Laserjet 4plus years ago and its a office work horse printer. It could be considered one of the best printers HP ever made to service and use.  I do all my BW printing on it and use the inkjet for the fancy stuff. You can pick up good 4+ units on ebay pretty cheep.

Todd

b5blue

I may go buy another for when the ink runs out.  :lol:

oldcarnut

b5blue

Chad L. Magee

Eight years ago, I had to buy a nice color printer for my PhD dissertation reports.  I ended up buying two Samsung CLP300s, as they were on sale during Black Friday that year for roughly half off at Staples.  One of these printers was used heavily for printing copies of my edited copies and the other ended up becoming a backup.  I printed my final dissertation copies (400 pages each) on this printer without a glitch.  I did have to refill the three powder cartridges once and the black cartridge twice though.  (It has a separate black cartridge for black & white printing.)  If you need a color laser printer, I recommend it based upon my experience with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Personal-Color-Laser-Printer/dp/B000HCMTKK
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Brock Lee

If you go HP, be sure you get one that uses cartridges that can have the "expiration date" overridden. Otherwise, unless you use the printer often, you wont get all of the ink you are paying for.

http://www.hp.com/pageyield/articles/uk/en/InkExpiration.html