News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fender tags

Started by polywideblock, November 28, 2015, 06:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

so just reading another thread that has gotten into fender tags and inspection marks , what came with and what didn't .

think I tried this before but a search tuned up a "71 fender tag discussion" but very little else . :scratchchin:

so for those that are into this sort of thing , and I know your there. ;)  how about a thread solely on "fender tags "

not who makes repop's or the right or wrong of that ! just about fender tags and inspection marks . :scratchchin:

which plants used inspection marks ? which did "sometimes" ?  which didn't ? what about separate inspection tags ?  

I'm doing my best to educate myself ( still know nothing about 69 down tags   :slap:) but its taken years.  I still come up blank or find conflicting info on what options should and should not be on a" fender tag "  all the time   :brickwall:

it can be very confusing for anyone new to the hobby /sickness/curse   insert which is appropriate  ;)

so how about a thread on what to look for when looking at your cars fender tag ? what should and should not be there, a "reference " for newbies so to speak

I'll even start  :angel:

Here's my 71 St Louis  built RR. Its a real one and has the two inspection marks in the top right corner, I've noticed that St Louis tags seem to have more info that other plants  :scratchchin:  and all seem to have at least one of the stamps to the top right corner , any truth to that ?

and here's the 71 SE its a LA build has one corner with an obvious bend where it was bent up for painting

any other LA or ST Louis build tag anomalies ? what should or should not be ? people with other plant  tags that would like to contribute, feel free

again this is about the tags  and what should and should not be on them    :cheers:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

birdsandbees

1969 Dodge Superbee.. Lynch Road. Never removed from car before this (a few weeks ago). No bend, Inspection stamp R on the top right corner and there is another inspection stamp mid way down the tag at the same end. Can't read it until I get the old tremclad off I put there back in '89 when painting the compartment.

Full B5 blue was under the tag, suggested by others that Lynch Rd tags where hung from a visor hole and got minimal paint before being screwed inplace.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ws23rt

I like the idea of this thread because it could be a gathering place for information that is scattered all over this forum and others.

Another sub topic that should fit well in here is ---How to spot a clone/fake/ restored fender tag?

This information could be helpful to many --including the new (up and coming) fakers. :D--You know who you are. :slap:  It also could give a good head's up for sellers that want a clean comfortable sale of what they have.--IMO this is where the greatest need is for knowledge on the topic.---

With the way Google works these days it could be where searchers end up with questions.---At least for the cars we enjoy. :cheers:

birdsandbees

of course it also helps getting them right for the "fakers". Here's my repro tag for my "Bird, but of course I have 1 1/2 broadcast sheets to back it up! (of course you can also find guys that can print these today... so it could be a never ending loop!)

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ws23rt

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 28, 2015, 07:16:19 PM
of course it also helps getting them right for the "fakers". Here's my repro tag for my "Bird, but of course I have 1 1/2 broadcast sheets to back it up! (of course you can also find guys that can print these today... so it could be a never ending loop!)

:cheers:--That is perfect for this topic.----The repo broadcast sheets could be another thread. :2thumbs:

polywideblock

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 28, 2015, 07:16:19 PM

that was going to be my next post  ;)  Here's the 71 R/T Lynch Rd build , I'm beginning to  think  its a reproduction  :scratchchin:

but have all the Mr Norms paperwork etc to back it up   :yesnod:

hemi-hampton

Here's another Repro tag. LEON.

polywideblock

ODZKing

Here is my 73 Charger, St Louis build.  2 fender tag car, looks like a "X" punch stamp on the second tag.

Lord Warlock

good topic, a lot of us have questions.  I doubt those that know the best way to spot fakes want to "educate" anyone who may want to fake future tags, better to keep some secrets, but other facts may be helpful. 

Could someone show me a tag that was bent up for original painting? My original tag didn't have any bends that I could see, but one whole corner (top left) was separated from the rest like it had rusted...but the car has very little rust elsewhere so wondered why that piece would deteriorate.  Can take a pic of what is left. Have a BS.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

polywideblock

the LA tag above has this fold starts at the v of v4x and continues up through A N and6

this one has same fold  :scratchchin:

Lord Warlock

may explain why mine broke off in that corner.  I'll take a pic tomorrow, gotta dig the tag out of a drawer next to bed. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

That could well be the reason.

mightywing7

Excellent thread!!  :2thumbs:

Quick question though.... was there any consistency on the way the tag was oriented?  Meaning, if I'm leaning over the driver's side fender and looking at the tag, should the letters be right-side up or upside down?  I've seen them secured both ways but cannot confirm if that was how it was mounted from the factory.   :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

ODZKing

another item of note* Each factory seemed to use different screws to hold down the tags. My 67 has the rounded as pictured in Polywideblock's post. My 73 had these round but kind of flat headed screws.  I reused them but I'm not entirely sure they are correct. If it was something that didn't get looked at all the time I wouldn't care but it would be nice if we had a picture description of what was correct. Again, mine is St Louis but my 67 as I am guessing PWB's 68 id Hamtramck. I've been told St Louis used the kind that hold the wheelopen moulding on and also told the round with slight flat edge like on the glove box door.

Lord Warlock

every one I've seen had the numbers readable from the drivers side fender.  If they still had one mounted.

charge69

Here is a picture of my fender tag before I restored the Charger. Note the inspection tag under the upper left of the tag.  We put it back in the same spot when we restored the Charger and tag.

mightywing7

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 30, 2015, 02:42:13 PM
every one I've seen had the numbers readable from the drivers side fender.  If they still had one mounted.

Thanks Lord Warlock!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

polywideblock

now we're getting somewhere   :cheers:  

nothing like a before shot to show orientation (readable from drivers fender ) also a B  Hamtramck, haven't had one of those   :scratchchin:

raises the question, is the inspection tag something only Hamtramck did  ?

I've also heard the "wheel well trim screw " story,  anyone know how much truth to it   :scratchchin:

polywideblock

this is a link to a very good read if you have a Lynch Rd build car     :yesnod:                http://andy440.com/tag2.htm

ODZKing

That is also a perfect example of the fender tag screws that I mentioned earlier. See how they are flat, not rounded on top.
Which are correct, from which plant etc?  Seems Lynch had 2 different kinds according to year?
Did St Louis and Hamtramck as well?