News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This might help a future no start issue

Started by Alan73Charger, November 28, 2015, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

So about a month ago I was trying to fix what I believed was just a no spark issue.  After new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and more I still had no start.  I could smell gas and even see gas squirt when I looked down in carb while moving the throttle.  So can't be a fuel issue right?  WRONG.  One day I was taking the top of the carb off to see how much gas was actually in the bowl and part of it fell apart.  (And the amount of gas in the bowl was low, not at the level it should be at)  The picture below shows the part that wasn't screwed in properly.  It fell out as I went to lift the top of the carb up. I'm still not sure what this part does.  I see it operates some type of plunger and because it was loose this wasn't operating correctly.  

So lesson learned I guess is just because you smell gas and see gas squirting down in the carb doesn't mean you don't have an issue with not having enough fuel to fire the car.  Once this was properly seated under the plunger and secured to the carb the car started right up.  Finally!!  

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

polywideblock

way to go    :cheers:    sometimes the smallest things   :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Alan73Charger

Quote from: polywideblock on November 28, 2015, 03:16:51 PM
way to go    :cheers:    sometimes the smallest things   :scratchchin:

Indeed.  Sometimes I think of the hours I put in trying to get it running and the fix literally took 30 seconds!!

On to the next battle!!

ws23rt

Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 28, 2015, 08:21:45 PM
way to go    :cheers:    sometimes the smallest things   :scratchchin:

Indeed.  Sometimes I think of the hours I put in trying to get it running and the fix literally took 30 seconds!!

On to the next battle!!

:2thumbs:  With your "on to the next battle" quote and in reference to the title of this thread.---I am reminded of the most common problem I've come across in nearly 50 years of working and with playing with old cars.

I learned at an early age about a good connection at the battery as being important. :lol:  I am embarrassed to admit to how many times A tough electrical problem was just a bad connection at the battery.
More than a few times I've helped out a friend by fixing trouble by fixing the battery connection. I took a lot of heat over time by just asking the question over the phone before I had a hands on look.
So with that back--(ground)-- :lol:  I had a problem with my 98 Dakota last year. The trouble lead me in every direction (it was intermittent). I was about to take it to a shop :eek2:-----
So I did find --a bad ground-- connection at the battery. That was my 30 seconds of a fix for a problem that I chased for several weeks.

The simple things can make us feel very humble. They also continue to be the things that tease the shit out of us in doing so. :nana:

The next time I will resist checking the battery connection early on in a check of things will be because I have dementia.
The next time I will resist checking the battery connection early on in a check of things will be because I have---I have--??

Alan73Charger

Quote from: ws23rt on November 28, 2015, 09:12:56 PM
Quote from: Alan73Charger on November 28, 2015, 08:21:45 PM
way to go    :cheers:    sometimes the smallest things   :scratchchin:

Indeed.  Sometimes I think of the hours I put in trying to get it running and the fix literally took 30 seconds!!

On to the next battle!!

:2thumbs:  With your "on to the next battle" quote and in reference to the title of this thread.---I am reminded of the most common problem I've come across in nearly 50 years of working and with playing with old cars.

I learned at an early age about a good connection at the battery as being important. :lol:  I am embarrassed to admit to how many times A tough electrical problem was just a bad connection at the battery.
More than a few times I've helped out a friend by fixing trouble by fixing the battery connection. I took a lot of heat over time by just asking the question over the phone before I had a hands on look.
So with that back--(ground)-- :lol:  I had a problem with my 98 Dakota last year. The trouble lead me in every direction (it was intermittent). I was about to take it to a shop :eek2:-----
So I did find --a bad ground-- connection at the battery. That was my 30 seconds of a fix for a problem that I chased for several weeks.

The simple things can make us feel very humble. They also continue to be the things that tease the shit out of us in doing so. :nana:

The next time I will resist checking the battery connection early on in a check of things will be because I have dementia.
The next time I will resist checking the battery connection early on in a check of things will be because I have---I have--??

Yes, very important.  I learned that with my 85 Chevy truck.  Just ended up being a poor connection.  As for my charger - I had a new battery, new negative cable, and also replaced the connector at the post on the positive side.  I did end up exposing a little more wire and improving that positive connection.  I kept looking for something electrical, figuring maybe I had a bad ground somewhere.  All along I just needed to tighten down a screw on the carb. 

Now I have some dripping fuel that starts up after the car gets running.  Can't tell for sure where it's coming from but thinking fuel pump is my next project.  It's cold and wet out so why not spend some time under the hood!